Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Do you plan the next days drive in the Parks you visit?
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I always have a plan in mind, out at gate opening - in at gate closinig, avoid crowded sightings like the plague, reach comfort stops in time :roll: :redface: and find beautiful places with no other cars to eat, drink and day dream. If I have memorable sightings, that's a bonus.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I always plan, and if they dont recieve the fax and reply, well, no I never plan, even with guests. :thumbs_up: A general idea where to go, and thats it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
Hi Barry! Great topic - it is fun to see what other people do!

Like GranJan, my only realy plan is to be out around gate opening time and back before gate closing time. I don't check the sightings boards that often and as for the BBMs, I wouldn't go out of my way to get to a sighting that has been reported, but if I'm in the area, I'll drive by. If there are more than 8 cars though, I'd just continue driving by!

It was lovely seeing you and Hilda so often in the park recently! Hope to see you both again soon.

xx

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
mel123 wrote:
SO says I must publish a book on KNP one day, drawing all of the different ones over the years together.

I second that! You are doing such proper planning mel123, I would love to read your notes! :thumbs_up:

You are right! Planning is half the fun, but I leave that part (planning each day's route) to my SO! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We have already decided which routes we will drive on which days when holidaying in the park in December :shock: :shock: BUT we never stick to them :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it is part of our build up to our holiday :hmz: :hmz: , when in the park we have a map and in the map book we have all our notes that we have made prior to entering the park, we have a "quick" look to give us a sort of an idea and off we go. We don't leave camp early every morning, we normally drive around till about lunchtime, then come back to camp to either swim, snooze, read, relax and then we go out again at about 4.30pm till gate closing time.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 am 

We usually have a few places we want to see/routes we want to drive before we go on a trip, based on recommendations from other people, previous experience, or, if we are at a camp we've never stayed at before, waterholes, low-water bridges, etc spotted on the map, that look interesting. With this tick list in mind, we pick a route either the night before, or the morning on our way to the gate. We often plan to be at a picnic site between 10-11, or another camp around lunch time. It doesn't always work out as planned though. We have a habit of "getting stuck" - on our last trip to Shingwedzi, there was more than one morning that we never made it past the causeway! :roll: We did, however, come back with some of our best photos ever :D

Fortunately I know by now that any planning in the Kruger can only be a rough guideline, so we always have muffins, rusks, biltong and other snacks in the car, as well as a flask of coffee and enough cool-drinks!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 am 

My plan usually lasts till I get to the gate to exit the camp :think: - after that I follow the wind :dance: !

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

barryels wrote:
We will never make use of sighting boards and or BBM's to guide us to sightings. I stay on our planned route for the day, be as it may :whistle:

:) Agree with you Barry re the above. Seen so many kids playing and changing the Sighting boards the way they would play Drafts. :|

Our routes and places to see, planned for all Camps next year......but depends on the day, dam or waterhole, sightings etc. It might change completely.

We try and relax as well. :hmz:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 am 

We don’t so much have a drawn up road travel plan (I’ve learnt we never stick to the planned routes) :D , we tend to go with the flow but with the following in mind: “must-stop-picnic-spots”, ”favorite-must-drive-roads” and the “must-spend-time-look-out-points” :redface: .
We also don’t tend to wander to far from the particular camps that we visit nor do we stay out the whole day (Sometimes we end up out all day some days we enjoy the tranquility of the camp).
Our modus operandi looks like this. First thing out at the gate in the morning for 3-4 hours traveling all the roads closest to the camp as per agreement with SO and maybe even do a breakfast at a favorite picnic spot, then back to the camp for brunch/lunch and a bit of a nap. 14:30 we sometimes look at FB and BBM updates, and 3pm repeat the whole thing and return back to camp before the gate closes. But again, we go with the flow, we either drive the entire 3 hours or we spent time on one spot enjoying the scenery (This is normally when leopards shows their spots and appear out of no-where).
The other planning we tend to do is to book accommodation in camps far away, and then we do a full day game viewing session traveling through many different biodiversities, landscapes to see many different animals/birds/trees/insects ect. We no longer plan routes, as we never ever stick to them :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:41 am 

We always plan our route the night beforehand whiles enjoying a cold drink and sitting around the braai. We plan which roads we want to drive down and where we want to spend our lunch. We keep the following things in account.
- Make the most of the cooler hours, we never stop driving between 06:00-10:00 and 15:00-18:00.
- Drive the more (by no better word coming to mind) “productive” roads in the cooler hours and the more scenic roads in the heat of the day.
- Make sure we take a lunch stop in the heat of the day, preferably with a view. Lower Sabie is our favorite based on:
1) Awesome view
2) Game spotting continues from that stunning deck.
- We prefer the avoid the crowds which can be a difficult task some times.
- During lunch we plan hour way back.
The funny thing is our plan of the night before can change within a minute the morning after, it’s that lucky feeling inside you that changes your route in an instant. We had that at Satara, we decided to drive down the H7 instead of the H1-4 which we had agreed the night before, not even 10 min down the road and 2 cheetah’s where on the road eating a waterbuck. Planning rule number 1!!! Always follow your gut feeling. :lol:

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 pm 

t-bal wrote:
Planning rule number 1!!! Always follow your gut feeling. :lol:

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

While I may change some of the routes later in the trip where I redo certain sections, my upcoming trip to KTP is planned per day. I have a map for each day with notes on where I plan on sitting in the morning and afternoon with back-up options if the first choices turn out to be less production, route highlighted. Lunch etc. does not form part of my planning, I will eat if there is an opportunity, anyhow, biltong from the park will keep me going while I drive/sit.

I use this planning to level out busy and less busy days, make sure I get to each spot I want to, end up seeing every waterhole in the park (plan on cataloguing them in a specific way for my trip photobook), see the view from every lookout, plus I need to know when best to go on night drives and morning walks based on driving time (its nice to walk after a previous long day in the car).

This being said, for the Augrabies leg I have slightly less planned as much of my time there will be on landscape photography (KTP will be more avian and animal) and my choices will thus literally depend on the weather and sun. I do know what routes I plan to walk and drive, just not which days.

However, when my SO travels with me, I have 2 routes for the next morning planned, one for when she indeed wakes up in the mood for an early drive (the desire to get up early stemmed from each time that I drove in the KNP alone early in the morning I spotted a leopard) or would rather sleep until 10 (it is holiday, so I guess that's fine, but I like to get out and take me some piccies).

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We decide where we our going before we leave camp in the mornings, but it doesn't always work that way, often we decide to take a road we are passing, and that's the end of the big plan :lol: