Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: What made your hair stand on end?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
THAT close to a croc is no joke, Malealea. :big_eyes:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
avon vosloo wrote:
First time I saw the old bull was when he put his foot onto the tarmac right next to my vehicle's door shaking his head and flapping his ears in disbelief at my ignorance. I floored the Isuzu and prayed - he turned his back on the vehicle no more than 15 meters behind me (yes, I stalled the Suzi) and just stared into the distance as if nothing happened. The last part of the drive to Maroela I stuck to the standard speed limit that they are used to :)

Ears flapping ...... that's why he left you, Mock charge, he did what he wanted chased you away hence no more trouble it's when they pull their trunks and ears back and charge that you kiss your posterior goodbuy.

Please do note they have gone from zero to Hero in sec's so if you can get away from a mock (in vechile) leave as fast as you can but on foot you can't out run them and if you run they will more likely go to hero and it will become a full charge. I'm no ellie expert and I know there are many more that will not aggree with me and yes it's very scary but this is what I have found. We have had mom's with liitle ones graze throught (yes between the tents) at night and no problems. The boys/grown men behaving like hooligans have even serenadite a small bull group 15m away at the dam, they just continued drink and when they were done left (might have been the singing).

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:37 pm 

One with nature,

I know, and trust me I really don´t wanted to have that kind of experience. Because I was still in the middle of the rapid. And I know the crock was much faster then me... . Funnily the river guides, still deny the presence of big crocs. The told us only the small one will occur in that Sektion. His Arguments the sangerous ones will be shot :evil: Of course and the crocs were broght by the Storc... . that is the inner Logik, where small ones are the big ones are not far... . :wall:

Anyway still have a nice Story to tell, when I was in a NP in RSA we went in the afternoon to a Game drive. At one Point, when we were on our way back to the camp, we saw an a raw of cars on a T-junktion. the Cars were right, and we have to turn left to get to the camp. We all turned our heads right and the driver (my dad) turmt left. At one Point my Grandmother shout like hell, STOP NOW an ELLIE in front. We just saw a grey wall. And the Ellie was of the disturbance not amused. My dad pushed in the reverse gear and speed up to avoid an ellie Attack. But an ellie is much quicker then a Car in Reverse gear. So we had to do a U-Turn. The Ellie comes closer and closer the wall of Deat came. Actually we could done the U- turn on time, but the Ellie pshed us away from the Camp. And then we had a look at our watch. Only a couple of minutes left till closing time. We had two options, either to turn the whole loop in opposite direction, which cost us 20 minutes or wait. At one point the Ellie came down after he chased us away. We had done the decission, that we have done a U-Turn again and pass this grumpy Ellie. If he would attack us again the whole game will start again, but luckily this time the ellie came down and let us pass. But that was a frightini experience as you may think. I don´t need to tell you that we were much too late, but it was intresting, the whole camp were waiting and expecting us, instead of paying a fine the welcome us with an applause. What we havenüt known so far, that Ellie bloked the Road for nearly 2H, so all the time the cars want to pass by the Ellie attacked. After we went into the Game the road was free. The Ranger told us, that he was very wooried, and he would only waited five more minutes, otherwise he would send a Tropp to look for us, after he heard the Story of many Tourist, which were very concerned about us. The end of Story is that in richards Bay we had a Car Breakdown, becaus of that action oir clutch broke...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have sat in an Ellie roadblock for well over and hour ones. (luckily not near closing time).
Just the herd was passing across the road and we had to wait for all to pass. We couldn't do the U turn thing we were in a cul de sac.

It's a long story but don't leave the camp in your pajamas with a baby and no extra bottle for it. Like a friend if mine on another forum says: "never do something you don't want to explain to a paramedic" :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 am 

I guess the most stories which are scarry are either with ellies or Buffs and maybe Rhino. But honestly I did´nt heard about an incident with a Rhino, do you?

Still enjoy the other stories :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:30 am 

I have several stories, but let's start with the first one.

It happened some years ago on our very first trip to South Africa. We had just entered the Kruger National Park through Phalaborwa gate and were very excited. We had no idea what to expect.

After maybe 15 minutes, we saw our first animals: impalas. We were soooooooooooo excited and stopped to admire these beautiful antelopes and take pictures. They were on the other side of the street, grazing peacefully and we were very happy.

After a while, we decided to drive on and while storing away the camera, we noticed a movement directly next to our car! We froze :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
We saw 4 huge grey columns :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
While watching the impalas, an ellie had approached without making any noise! We hardly dared to breath - and whispered what to do. Fortunately, the ellie was very peaceful and we drove away slowly and cautiously.
Our hearts were still beating like crazy when we had reached a safe distance. Our first ellie close up had showed us just how HUGE they are - and it taught us a valuable lesson: always look around in all directions :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 pm 
NetEk wrote:
We have sat in an Ellie roadblock for well over and hour ones. (luckily not near closing time).
Just the herd was passing across the road and we had to wait for all to pass. We couldn't do the U turn thing we were in a cul de sac.

It's a long story but don't leave the camp in your pajamas with a baby and no extra bottle for it. Like a friend if mine on another forum says: "never do something you don't want to explain to a paramedic" :roll:

:funny: :funny:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 pm 
Nina, we all often get so caught up in the moment that we forget that there are other directions we're not concentrating on; and that's where things can go wrong. Humans are particularly vulnerable because we're used to staring at cellphones, computers, TV's, and so on, for hours without looking anywhere else.

I clearly remember a batch of cars lined up about two kilometres on the access tar road from Olifants Camp; everyone was staring at right angles at a group of lionesses lazing in the high grass of summer, and many people had illegally climbed out out on the window sills to get a better view of them. After a quarter of an hour or so, we heard what sounded like horses hooves behind us. As everyone turned around, they were shocked to see that it was two fully-maned male lions galloping towards the rest of their pride. Those lions sprinted between the cars before anyone had a chance to move. It could have been disastrous, but luckily they weren't hungry enough to attack the feeble humans on display. I never forgot that lesson and always make sure now that, if we're staring with binocs for any length of time in one direction, the windows behind our backs are closed.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Well said OWN :clap: :clap: :clap:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 pm 

one with Nature, :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
onewithnature wrote:

I never forgot that lesson and always make sure now that, if we're staring with binocs for any length of time in one direction, the windows behind our backs are closed.

So true OWN!!!

On one of our trips to KTP a few years back we were at a lion pride doing what lions do best in that heat........sleeping!!

They were on both sides of the road, but the lionesses with the cubs were behind a big bush. Coming from the south you could only see those on the other side of the road. A car drove up and stopped right next to the bush.....next moment guy gets out from his window to take a photo of the lions on the other side of the road.......my hysterical noises caught his attention and I gestured to them to move forward to see the other lions!! Never saw someone leave a lion sighting that quick!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am 

Lionqueen,

I just want to see the man climbing as fast as possible inside that car :mrgreen: . Still everybody of us know that this is not allowed, to hang out from the car inside the Park. So without beeing mean, but if the Lioness attacked this man that would be the right punishment. Evenso this guy woldn´t be injured, but schock will not left out the effeckt of learning...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Malealea I have a bag full of stories like that!!

KTP (again!!) we were the only car at this leopard sighting......she walked all along the ridge and then disappeared behind on of those big green thorn bushes.

We drove on and made a U-turn to go back. When we reached the spot where she disappeared (not more than 10 minute ago) a car was standing there and the lady was standing outside her vehicle changing the baby's nappy!! I nearly fainted........had a whole mouthful, showed them the photos and reported them.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

lion queen wrote:
Malealea I have a bag full of stories like that!!

KTP (again!!) we were the only car at this leopard sighting......she walked all along the ridge and then disappeared behind on of those big green thorn bushes.

We drove on and made a U-turn to go back. When we reached the spot where she disappeared (not more than 10 minute ago) a car was standing there and the lady was standing outside her vehicle changing the baby's nappy!! I nearly fainted........had a whole mouthful, showed them the photos and reported them.

WHAT! OMW seriously I hope that woman got a MASSIVE fine! Why couldnt she change the baby in the car I did it plenty so it isnt impossible thats for sure

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am 

I also have a great set of Stories abour rulebreakers... . Anyway What I just said, if somebody is not obeying the rules and something happens e.e. Leopard Attack, nobody should complain. Everybody know that dangerous Game occur.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next