Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scaredy Cats own up !
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
like I am alone... I always wait for at least one people... around the rocks :D
for the hides is not a problem for me, alone or not... but :hmz: I know it could be one

I remember Caracal found a Jackal in the hide at Nossob :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm 

I love Nkumbe view site and I am not sure why, but it always gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up for some reason and I can never really relax there. :?

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mooiplaas picnic area is often visited by elephant, but what scared by there was a hyaena. We walked to the lapa area closest to the river around 5:30 pm. I heard some noise in the bushes closeby and saw an elephant there which was now closer to me than my car. Suddenly we saw movement in the reeds and out came a hyaena. I was hoping that it could not cross the river but it ran across heading towards the picnic area. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Every time I visit Mooiplaas I make sure the car is close enough for that escape. Scary place. You can ask Elinah who works together with Rodger at Tsendze. :sup:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Son godin wow!! Next time we go to Mooiplaas, which will be in July 2012, we will park our car very close to the "viewing deck" and maybe leave the doors open, but on the other hand something might jump into our car and be waiting for us ...... :shock: :? Mooiplaas however is our favourite picnic site, especially very early morning and then at about 5.30 pm

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:15 am 

I must admit that Nkumbe makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I have only ever got out of the car once only to scoot back with my heart racing :big_eyes:
The following story was told to me in May this year by someone who witnessed this. In earlier years when many people crossed the border and into the park there was a pride of females who specifically hunted them. One day a couple got to Mldondozi very early and in those days there was no guard at that time of the morning. The lady got out to use the toilet and as she was coming out a lioness charged, she shut the door and started screaming. Her male companion then realised what was going on but was powerless to help, the lioness was scratching at the door to get in. He raced back to Lower Sabie and fetched the Rangers and by the time they got back the lioness had almost got through the door having bitten and clawed her way through. They shot the lioness and eventually tracked down her companions as well.
My point - before hearing this I would often stop there and be the only one so early in the morning, now I go later when there are more people, but I still remember that story everytime I visit the toilet :shock:

Bornfree.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm 

:big_eyes:

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Spent a weekend at Tamboti. could not understand all the scardy cats using their cars to the ablutions :doh: found out later that there was a lepard in the camp :roll:
Nkumbe - I always get out, but it gives me the creeps :D

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tsendze 22 - 26 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Once did a walk (legally) on my own, to scout a walking area.

I decided to climb a little hill to have a look at the area. But was a bit hesitant since I got that strange feeling. When reaching the top, it was kind of flat, with lots of rocks and hiding places. It was quite a nice view.

Then I heard some "unexplained" noises. I could not see anything, but I did get off pretty quickly! :lol:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Nkulu wrote:
Spent a weekend at Tamboti. could not understand all the scardy cats using their cars to the ablutions :doh: found out later that there was a lepard in the camp :roll:
Nkumbe - I always get out, but it gives me the creeps :D

O.K so let's get this right- we are going to Tamboti in July 2012. how far are the abultions from the tents? and was there a leopard in the camp? and if there was how did it get in? :shock: :shock:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
through the door... which had remained open :wink: ... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:07 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

The first time that we ever visited Mathekenyane, there was a beautiful leopard, surveying the scene, so needless to say we NEVER get out of the car there!!! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:38 am 

:big_eyes: When we are in the vicinity we never miss a visit to Mathekanyane! We will think twice now to get out!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
About 10 years ago we went up to Crooks corner. There were roadworks there at the time and only a cardboard sign pointing into the direction of the "fever tree forrest" and Crooks corner. The road was very "dodgy" and when we got to Crooks corner there were no sign boards and the thick undergrowth made it feel menacing. My sister and I wound up our windows, locked the doors, put our cameras under our seats and needless to say did not get out there!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

LMAO about some of these stories! :lol: :lol: , a bit :big_eyes: about others!

I must admit, I'm usually so eager to stretch my legs, that as soon as we get to one of these "get-out allowed" areas, I first get out, stretch and then survey the scene! (I guess that, because I'm a botanist and used to doing fieldwork in areas where there are no gun-toting rangers around, and the scaredy-cat leopards run away from you instead of showing themselves :twisted: - I'm a bit careless about the issue when in the KNP (not good))

One example - early one morning - we've just left Olifants Camp and realized something (can't remember what exactly) that we deemed necessary for the trip down to Satara was packed-up in the car's boot. So we stopped at that look-out point at the T-junction where the tar road from Olifants meet up with the tar road from Letaba-Satara. While stopped, and outside the car, we also used the time to make some fresh coffee with hot water from the thermos. Just after getting out I commented to my sister that there are bromvoël (Southern Ground Hornbill) around. Listened to "them" the whole time while fixing the coffee, wishing they would come close enough for a photograph. And then suddenly the pitch of the call changed. And I realized that the bromvoël we were happily hoping to see was really a lion - one that was coming closer! :big_eyes: On slightly wobbly legs we packed up in seconds and got back in the car. Met the culprit less than 100 m down the road :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I must admit that in all the years I have been going to Kruger, I have never got the urge to stay in the car at get out spots even though I have often been alone there.

Once or twice I have had an eerie feeling, but not seen anything menacing.

I suppose I had better try harder!

In Kgalagadi, I have had creepy feelings walking alone to the hide in Nossob, and in November on the forum Nossob 4x4 trail, I get the feeling that I will be made to feel a bit uncomfortable :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next