Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:39 pm 

We have booked a camping site for 3 nights in Satara during September school holiday. This will be our first camping trip ever and I need all the advise I can get. I am sure there are lost of people out there that can give us good advise on what to remember. Please help! I am totally out of my comfort zone.

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:48 pm 

The I wanna go camping might be of help to you, KarenB ?
Wishing you a great new adventure :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
KarenB, just remember you need to be organized and don't take things that are unnecessary, I think the following things are the important things: camp chairs, fold up camp table, sleeping bags, headtorches (1 for each member of the camping party),a plastic box/crate with all your crockery and cutlery, a dishcloth/drying cloth, strong tent pegs, mosquito repellent, sunblock, a good camera, good binoculars, a Kruger map and lastly but most importantly a LOVE for the Kruger, wishing you a good trip with fantastic sightings. 8) 8)

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 pm 

KarenB, I agree with TD, do not take more than you will need otherwise you will spend ages packing and unpacking and searching for stuff. One is kept busy in Kruger so you do not need a great deal other than the basics to provide comfort.

As far as using public ablutions, there is a family bathroom in the new block at Satara, also think of what will make the experience of a first time comfy - wearing slops when showering, if you fussy about the loos, you can buy toilet seat spray etc. A browse around an outdoor shop will give you ideas.

And September in Kruger can be windy and especially so Satara, so ensure you peg down tents and do not leave items that can blow away outside when you are not there - such as towels.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KarenB,

Can you let us know what you have available for camping and from there we can advise on what you left out. Just thinking of mattresses and the very important pump. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 pm 

KarenB, have a read through This Topic lots and lots of great info in there!

also another one Here

Enjoy!

Post subject: Advise Please 10 - 12 days camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am 

Over the past 30 years my I have done over 100 Kruger trips, always with my wife, and years ago with the kids before they went their own ways. Always in cottages and chalets. My wife has now booked for a trip to Oz at the beginning of October, and I am hoping to spend the time she is away in Kruger. I will be camping, tent - no caravan or trailer, and I would like to spend a minimum of 2 nights at each stop. I did the Lebombo a few years back and found that changing camps every day was really not for me. I love everything about Kruger but must admit that over the past 10 years I have become more of a birder than an animal spotter. I have done no camping, other than the Lebombo, and so would appreciate any advise.... what to take, what to eat, where to stay etc. etc.

Post subject: Re: Advise Please 10 - 12 days camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 am 

Leervis, how long are you planning in spending in Kruger? I tend to agree with Gemma T, if you can, try spend longer in a camp than 2 nights, especially if camping. That will depend on how long you are going to be in the park, and how much of the park you wish to cover.

Will you have a fridge to keep your foods cold?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:07 am 

If you don't have a fridge, make sure you buy a good cool box. We have never had a fridge - but buy ice everyday to go in the box. We buy meat from the shops in camp (it's often a good idea to buy meat frozen in the morning and keep in the cool box during the day, then it's perfect for braiing in the evening!). I know some people complain about the quality of the food in the camp shops but if you buy your evening meal in the morning we never seem to have a problem.

The other thing that really made a difference for us was getting a light for our camp. For many years we brought all our camping kit with us from the UK and with only 20kgs allowance, that meant absolutely no superfluous weight. But we now have a friend who stores our gear in J'burg and being able to sit the gentle light in the evening while listen to the noises is so much more relaxing than the regular blinding see used to inflict on each other when we only had head torches for light!! :wall:

Gemma

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Leervis, my advice is, the simpler, the better.

Stay as long as you can in camps.

My experience of Kruger camping, if a was in your situation..

Croc Bridge, 4 nights

Satara 4 nights

Balule, or Letaba. the rest.

Covers the best eco zones and has places to eat, buy an drink if need be.

You can honestly get a very basic tent. You do need a good bed or mattress. You would also need a camping chair and some type of table.

Electrical stuff, in terms of lamps is good and a really sound torch.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leervis, I would definitely stay longer per camp. Agree with MM. Good mattress is important. I also take a small dustpan and hand broom to sweep out sand from the tent. Doesn't matter how careful you are it gets in there. Obviously, take cooking equipment and utensils. Don't forget towels, sleeping bag etc.

Enjoy it. Maybe take advantage of the camping only sites, like tsende......

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am 

we've been camping all over the country for a long time, we hardly ever make use of chalets anymore.

My advise is, sleep comfortable, sleep dry, sleep warm.

As mentioned, make sure you have a good coolbox if you don't use a fridge, drain the water regularly and try keep the box in the shade as much as possible, a decent cooler should keep your ice for two days.

A good light is also valuable - try and get a LED jobby that you can charge from your 12v plug in your car.

Depending on how big your camp is - I would say minimum 2 nights per camp.

The most important thing - enjoy every moment!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Get a pop-up tent, will make pitching and striking camp much easier and quicker

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:36 am 

Some good advice here, and remember, anyone can be uncomfortable camping. I proper pillow and a nice fold up high density foam mattress are good starters (I've seen nice ones in Outdoor Warehouse that fold into three sections - much better than a blow up as far as I'm concerned.

I like pretoriuskop for camping as it's generally quieter than other camps, and little Malelane Camp is great - although it gets some noise from the N4 it has an excellent kitchen with a communal deep freeze

Have fun!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 am 

Thanks for all the advise it is greatly appreciated. I have already done an audit of stuff I have as well as that I can borrow from friends and relations. I have 12 nights available and started by looking at 2 nights at each of 6 camps. After looking at all the comments from the more experienced I think that I will be changing that as follows. I really want to spend time at Tsendze - Balule and Maroela. I love the idea of no power and being able to sit and listen only to the bush sounds. I also want to spend at least 2 nights at Pretorius Kop as I have a friend who has a vast knowledge of the birds in Kruger and I am hoping to be able to spend a day with him. So it seems that 3 nights at two of the first group, 4 nights at the other in this group and 2 nights at PK. Any comments on this plan will be appreciated. I have access to a car freezer and so will be able to freeze blue blocks during the day as I drive, and then use them at night to keep stuff cold. I have been pouring over all the great advise on the forum and in theory, am more prepared than I was a month back. Once again ty for all the advise.