Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345 ... 367  Next
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Student Formites
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
wildflowergirl wrote:
ag thanx James! I mean cheetah..... You are too kind!

:naughty: A sly way of giving away my gender :naughty: Would have been more fun for hippopotty to guess! I doubt I type as if I'm a girl ... or do I? :shock:

Wildest you are right about the ironies of life hey :hmz:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
wildflowergirl wrote:

A sly way of giving away my gender Would have been more fun for hippopotty to guess! I doubt I type as if I'm a girl ... or do I?

:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: ag sorrie man. LOLS!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

Hi there,

Well after a long break in this Forum I came back. Therefor a small introdution of me. I´m 26 years old and living in Germany. I´m a BA.Sc in Geographie with the focus on Tourism and Leissure. Now I´m doing my Master Degreee in Tourism and Regionaldevelopment.

Are you all comming from South Afrika?

Best Regards
Malealea

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Malealea! Image

Glad to hear you are back on the forum!! And with your degrees you will have much knowledge to share with us :D Please comment here in the V room as often as you like :D

All of us (I think) come from South Africa, and Kallis studies in England 8) Very awesome to have someone from elsewhere to join us :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome back Melealea :mrgreen:

Hope you have a great time 2nd time round

cheetah2111 wrote:
: If only I got as much leave as Spargish :slap:

It takes time to build up leave my good sir, This is my 4th year working :redface:

Here is a little something from my last trip, I like to be first at the gate or at least close to the front. I have found that people are normally respectful of you being there before them and wont pass you for a while. This time how ever at Satara twice I had people pass me. First I was in front and we slowed down for a Jackal and on person just flew past us, the second time I was 3rd and a person from at least 10 back flew past every one at a hell of a speed. Luckily both times justice prevailed and these people both missed great sightings.

My question is do you think that there is some unwritten rule at the gate that the person who puts the effort in to be their first deserves to be in front at least for a while or until a good sighting? or do you think its okay to pass.

I tend to believe there is an unwritten rule?

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is almost the end of the month again guys So a little reminder
Nominate a fellow mite.....
Quote:
A perfect way of showing your appreciation for their valuable contributions to our forums :D

Please read Kudu Awards and also here :
Jazil wrote:
Do you have to motivate why you are nominating someone?
Yes, it would be appreciated if you would state for what reason you are nominating someone.

Thanks,

We have so many 'mites sharing their knowledge with us and brightening our days on the forums in various ways :gflower: . Please nominate them !

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:20 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Dotts :thumbs_up: Put in those kudu nominations people :D

Spargs that is not unusual in my experience :hmz: If you are first driving out of camp, you must drive at the speed limit or else you will be overtaken :slap: If you driving out first at 40km/hour, expect to be overtaken :slap: I have always been one to be out first ... I see where the morning walk truck went (usually South of Satara) then I go the other direction to find the lions lying in the road (as often as been the case on the H1-4). The speedsters come out of Satara every morning overtaking you to take the S100 at pace, while a lesser number of speedsters hit the H7 to Orpen.

The 'unwritten rule' you speak of is a thing called common decency which is most uncommon these days. I sound old now :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
spargish wrote:

Here is a little something from my last trip, I like to be first at the gate or at least close to the front. I have found that people are normally respectful of you being there before them and wont pass you for a while. This time how ever at Satara twice I had people pass me. First I was in front and we slowed down for a Jackal and on person just flew past us, the second time I was 3rd and a person from at least 10 back flew past every one at a hell of a speed. Luckily both times justice prevailed and these people both missed great sightings.

My question is do you think that there is some unwritten rule at the gate that the person who puts the effort in to be their first deserves to be in front at least for a while or until a good sighting? or do you think its okay to pass.

When I'm first, I love to believe there is such an unwritten rule!!!........ :D

But we have in the past had days where we had to travel quite a distance and could only do that by being close to first at the gate and then not stopping to smell the flowers and look at every bee ( :roll: ) ......then we did pass other people who were at the gate before us....... :(

cheetah2111 wrote:
The 'unwritten rule' you speak of is a thing called common decency which is most uncommon these days. I sound old now :whistle: :whistle:

One of these days there will be a book called..........."old man and the Kruger trip"........... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or perhaps 'the Kruger adventures of Ou Rooibaard' 8)

Looking forward to another ginger beard winter :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm 

Well I think that indeed such rule occur, but the reason will differ. From own experience I can say, if you are planing a Trip you might underestimate the distance. I will give you an exampel. In germany to travel 80 Km that is not a big deal, but in Kruger it is. Reason Speedlimits. Lot of Tourist don´t take that in comsiederation. there for the will want to cover a huge Area in very little Time. I have to be honest I have done this mistake by my own, but I will not speed, at take the Speedlimits. But the pressure of time is still there. I assume that this is a common mistake.

I will not do the same mistake again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 am 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Good morning V's :yaya:
Welcome Hippi :yaya:
Welcome back Malealea :yaya:

Now that unwritten rule Spargs :hmz: I say let people do as they please-they will miss out in the end :thumbs_up:
I do things at my own pace-sometimes a bit faster than others. But always happy of my outcomes :D
Cheets when is the rooibaardman finishing his TR?????
Spargs when is your 2 upcoming trips? I have 3 planned as well... :dance:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am 
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
cheetah2111 wrote:
See what I did there??
A bit of forum education, free of charge

Thank you, kind sir! :gflower:

cheetah2111 wrote:
wildflowergirl wrote:

:naughty: A sly way of giving away my gender :naughty: Would have been more fun for hippopotty to guess! I doubt I type as if I'm a girl ... or do I? :shock:

I knew your gender from the start, Cheetah - I'm good like that. :wink:

wildflowergirl wrote:
Salaries are cool, but eish sitting in an office behind a computer for 8 hours a day is not so lekker, leave is always cool!! :D and then you have money to spend on your leave too. :D Oh the ironies of life.

That's the thing that bothers me the most.. Imagine how much time you could spend with Mother Nature, instead you stare at a PC the whole day! Our offices are built in the middle of a so-called nature reserve and we are encouraged to go for walks and enjoy the surroundings. When? I ask, we have to work the whole day! But yes, salaries are very cool - I get my first one next Tuesday and I can't wait! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 am 
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Guten Morgen, Malealea! :D And welcome!
(And yes, I'm from South Africa. :) )

spargish wrote:

This is a rather tricky question.. We have on occasion passed people, but then they were driving sooo slow (1st gear slow). But I have to add, if it were me in front, I wouldn't want anyone to pass me. I think it's safe to say that it will obviously differ from person to person, but whether you are the passer or passee(?), don't be a (add appropriate word here) about it. :mrgreen:

Anyhoo, just to make everyone a bit jealous.. 8) In exactly one week's time we will be on our way to Kruger! :dance: :dance: :dance: Saying we're excited is an understatement! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Hippopot 8)
This Kruger trip :mrgreen: Tell us about it!! Where shall you be staying and who you going with??
My gender is given away by my avatar :lol:

Heyyy Parra Heks 8)
That TR ... probably never :whistle:

Malealea the speedsters we are talking about did not misjudge distance ... they just speed from one cat sighting to the next. Sad, but true

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
the speedsters we are talking about did not misjudge distance ... they just speed from one cat sighting to the next. Sad, but true

and miss all the special sightings and beauty of nature in between. Those poor souls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345 ... 367  Next