Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stupidest thing I did was believe SO when he said his shoulder had ceased up and couldn't drive for the whole Kruger trip. I drove, he took HUNDREDS of photos and me only a handful. And then, miracle of miracle, the shoulder was suddenly better on the last day

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I never said a word about this, but it is kind of funny now that you mention considerate and GP in one sentence. I sms'd DQ the sighting of the hyenas as we were watching - no problem, all quiet and nice. The Toyota Condor infront of us moved on so we could park right next to them. I was driving my dad's Honda Ballade with a secret switch you need to deactivate otherwise the damn car alarm goes wild. As they drove off I switched on the car and forgot the switch. They slammed on brakes thinking they'd maybe missed something, Hyenas scattered in all directions, GP looking like an idiot. Luckily the animals came out of the den again. Needless to say, when we found the same Condor a bit further with the guy taking pics of an elephant bull, I didn't switch off the engine.

Post subject: Stupid things you have done in the park
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

One year we entered through Malelane Gate on our way to Skukuza and came across some lion sleeping close to the road. We rushed to Skukuza within the speed limit to return after we had unpacked. In my haste I placed a huge box of bananas on the veranda table thinking that nobody will take it. On returning much later we found that a troop of monkeys had a feast to the enjoyment of my neighbours. So I had to eat fruit salad without any bananas for the rest of our stay
On our last visit we stayed at Orpen and had to make precautions for a honey badger (according to the staff at reception) that was raiding the fridges. Just after we had gone to bed I heard something scratching outside in the dirt bin. Thinking that it was the badger I rushed out to chase it away and was amazed that the so called honey badger had become a hyena. The hyena got a fright and ran off. When this was reported to reception the next day it seemed as if they knew all along that it was a hyena. My assumption was don't believe everything reception tells you. I enjoyed the bit of action though but in hind site it could have turned out bad if the hyena attacked me

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
touched a red-hot braai gril handle with my bare hand... Twice! In one night.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A chilling prospect for any Musketeer.
Reading the posts again I was reminded of the time we went to sit at a dam just to enjoy the peace and quiet. There were a few other vehicles and a number of birds in the water.
One of my children needed something to drink and I leaned over to help her take the lid off the mini cooler box. I managed to somehow get my elbow stuck on the hooter and the silence was broken by the loudest of blasts.
All the birds flew away in a second and I sat mortified not being able to say, "sorry"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:57 pm 

Aw..that's awful!! My family has had similar things happen...though not quite so dramatic as yours!

When my brother and sister and I were really young, many times at a waterhole we would bicker in the back seat -usually over who sat next to the window- and my poor parents would try to silence us, all the while receiving disapproving looks from the vehicles around us

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:34 pm 

Ok...a couple stupid things come to mind...

I locked the keys in our bakkie when I was 13, we had just nicely selected our campsite at Pretoriuskop and all our camping gear was inside....oops! (Dad was not happy!)

Another time around about that age, I charged at a hyena in my pyjamas one morning when one morning, and noticed the hyena patrolling along the fence. Feeling pretty brave with that fence in between, I decided to make myself look as big and impressive and formidable as possible...waving toilet bag, towel and clothes about, I charged up to the fence stomping as heavily as I could. I got to within 3 feet of the hyena, and it didn't move a muscle... just looked up at me with barely a reaction. Ok. I felt foolish (and I was mighty glad that fence was there!!)!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Getting to the gate an hour before it opens , because its suddenly the first day of the new month , and the gate times have changed from the previous days

Getting back to camp an hour late for the same reason , after wondering why the park is so quiet

Reversing into a tree in a cul de sac loop , causing a massive scare to everyone in the vicinity from the bang .

Sleeping in car with whole family after stopping at skukuza , fully confident to find a open hut , and there where only camp sites .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Yep Bucky that sounds like you - specially the last one!

I myself have too many stupid/embarrassing moments to mention.

I chased a vervet monkey at Letaba when I was 6. It turned around, jumped on me and gave me a chinese bangle - bluddy sore.

Managed to reverse my mazda into one of those concrete block signposts while watching lions - sickening thud and HUGE dent (to my ego as well).

Stopped to watch a pride of lions last year and decided to park right next to them. Other cars arrived. Everyone sat really quietly and behaved impeccably - the lions remained right on the side of the road - my small daughter then choked on a Nik Nak and as she gagged she kotched - over my husband - we were all yelling trying to get away from it...the lions woke up and as for the people in the other cars - I think they wanted to kill us. We left quickly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hearing you guys talk about stupid things done when small brings back a slight memory of something my sister did while we were caravaning in the park. We were packing up to move on to the next camp and my sister decided to help my Dad put the tent poles into the long barrel thingie (I am sure there is a name for it but don't know it) were the poles get stored. Anyways, her enthusiasm was a little to vigorous and she pushed the poles to far back so when we arrived at the next camp, Dad had the toughest time getting them out. If I remember correctly, we got to meet some really nice fellow campers that tried to assist. Needless to say, Dad (aka Klystron) was not a happy puppy

By the way, for those that are thinking "why did they just park the caravan downhill", we tried that and the pole was stuck.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:47 am 

Once while camping in Balule, after a few cold ones, my brain convinced my body to test how powerful the elctric shock is from the fence around the camp.
Afterall it is only supposed to keep animals out and not kill them. The brain sensed a rebellion from the body and argued that a baboon/vervet monkey, has a much smaller body mass than a human, and they survive, so i should have no problem at all.
Well a few more cold ones were consumed for some moral support and dutch courage. All i can say is "Man that fence has got quite a KICK"in it. I back feeling pretty stupid. The look and shake of the head from my SO said it all.

Post subject: I witness
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As with most of us, the big P sometimes makes you do silly things, especially if your bladder is so full, your mouth becomes salty.

On a trip during May, during the rutting season, we were on a gravel road, and the ride was bumpy. I was becoming panicy about the great NEED, so I started to deduce possibilities.

I stopped in the middle of the road, rather close to a mean looking Impala century, thinking that when he starts running, I could use this as a warning signal that a predator was approaching.

In my process of heavenly relief, keeping an eye on the Impala and other one to see that my takkies aren't watered, the focus was a bit screwed. The ram started snorting and running - but TOWARDS me. Indignant it almost ran into my door.

Needless to say where I emptied the rest of my bladder...lone behold a new meaning to being a wet bag!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:04 am 

While staying at a temporary unfenced tented camp in North Kruger I decided to relieve myself in the nearby bush instead of using the portaloos provided. (yes I know I should have used them, but they weren't the sweetest smelling part of the camp) I wa smore concerned with snakes then anything else as I ventered a couple of meters off the track to do the business. No soone rhad I got into mid stream than a bull elephant who hadbeen standing peacefully more or less behind a large tree took exception to my elephant impression and vented his disaproval. He must have been staisfied with the result as he didn't arrive back at the tent with me, but I was lucky noone witnessed my somewhat wet return to camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Similar experience here.

Parked next to a waterhole - waited till the other vehicle left, took over their spot, waited till things were "safe", got out and bliss.

Drove back past the car that were parked where we were - they were cruising very slowly so I knew they were birding.

I spotted an African Crake and pointed it out to the people in the car when they stopped next to me (None other than tannie Miems de Bruyn - for the non-saffies - she's a local TV personality).

She asked if I saw the Giant Eagle Owl in the tree where they were parked at the waterhole.

Three guesses on where that tree were.

I drove back to make sure and there he was giving me the eye.

Good thing WTM reckons there are no LITS in the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Last week, while in Kruger, we had just left Lower Sabie after a satisfying lunch and retreat from the heat. We were driving along, had just seen two gorgeous elephant bulls, the obligatory Impala and some warthog, when a member of our party discreetly tapped me on the shoulder announcing that nature is calling - not once, but twice - that is nature calling not tapping(if you get my drift!!! ).

Like a true Saffie, I said, "OK guys, find a suitable bush - not too close to the ellies" And I saw this horrified look in my rear view mirror - " Not in the bush!!!!"

I still don't understand why I had to risk a speeding fine in the park rushing back to Lower Sabie when the bush and a few leaves would have done THE JOB very nicely!?

We came into LS parking lot with screetching brakes and parked in the disabled parking - 'cause we truly were "disabled" by nature at the time.........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next