SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 56  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:41 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Aint that the truth naomi c ...

I've watched them for quite some time ... we have had crows, hadeda's etc .. That little bird with all the left over paints on him has one mean temper and a very brave heart ... He/she would chase any bird off when feeding .. I actually found if very funny when he/she chased the Hadeda's off :lol:

Post subject: Re: Crested v Blackcollared Barbet
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:37 am 
jetjennings wrote:
There are probably plenty forumites that have done "Illegal" things and never admit to it.

I agree with you…I almost got my head chopped off because I admitted to putting out a bowl of cold water for the vervets… :roll:

There is one request I would like to make…. please don’t ever put out bread for the birds….it is especially dangerous for the Doves.
I have never used soaked dog pellets, but I know that the dry pellets are also very dangerous to bird….the swelling pellet often blocks the crop and the bird eventually starve to death. :(

While living in Pretoria we had CB and BCB in our garden…both came to eat the apples I use to put out. In our garden the BCB were king….even chased around the Going-away birds (Grey loerie).
However the CB’s always waited off their chance and took their fare share. :wink:

On the subject of the feeding of birds: I read and article a while ago where they contribute the migration to cities of several birds species to people feeding these birds (as one of the reasons). Apparently they are now seeing species in JHB and Pretoria that has been absent from these areas for decades….and even species that were never found in these areas. On the one side, this is great, however people should be wary as to WHAT they feed the birds. When people want to feed birds they have to do it responsibly: when choosing food they should keep the bird’s health in mind, thoroughly wash fruit before putting it out, make sure that seeds are fungi free and very important, stop using poison in their gardens.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 pm 

Having grown up in Springs South Africa. We would go to Kruger to see wild animals.

I now live in the North Suburbs of Orlando Florida.

Below is a list of frequent sitings in our neighborhood.

Florida Black Bears
White tailed Deer. (Usually seen everyday Love to eat our landscaping)
Aligators
Red Fox
Opossum
Armadillo
Squirrels
Bob Cats

Birds
I am no bird expert, but below is a list of the larger birds.

We have many cranes
Vultures
Wild Turkey
Hawks

Most people live in harmony with the wild life and I am not aware of neighbors feeding them. The problems are the bears getting into our garbage, most neighbors keep the garbage in our garage until pick up day. Also some neighbors have left their garage doors open, only to have the bears fing the big bag of dog food in the garage.

Can't compare this to Kruger, but it is wonderful living in a suburb surrounded by wildlife.

August 5-7 Satara
Aug 8-11 Skukuza

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:57 pm 

Just a question about this food thing,

I have parrots in a rather large cage outside on my porch (Stay out there for the day and return to roam the house in the evening), but i find that sometimes during the day on a weekend while i'm around the house, there are Cape and House Sparrow's that come a feed off my parrots food. Sometimes i see them eating Parrot "maintenance" pellets that have fallen on the floor and sometimes ever see them trying to help themselves through the cage....

Should i be concerned about this....

Jet (bro) - if you are reading this, We used to have a Crested B in the garden that used to wake us up even morning as the sun rises, by knocking like crazy on the window..... I'll post a pic of it on a second, LOL :lol: :lol:

I like the way Wild@Heart previously described the CB as having left over paint all over.... 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:34 am 

Here's the CB that used to bang continuously on our window...
:P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:57 am 

Thanks for all the advice. I do feed my garden birds mainly cleanly washed fruit and wild bird garden see.
Still only have 3 BCB in my sisal root. I still love them anyway. Thankfull I have them at all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
2 new records for my garden.

3 bottles of beer on the table.
5 hoopoe's on the wall
5 Hadedas on the lap post. 6th tried landing there but bailed out and landed on the next lamp post. Making one helluva noise! :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:53 pm 
The following piece is so sweet, I really want to share this….it also gives an idea of the “wildlife” in our garden at our house in Marloth.
It appeared in the Marloth Park Review of July 2006 (by Rena de Villiers)

Quote:
Warthog? No, thanks

We buy tickets for the annual venison festival of the Reformed Church and one of the highlights on the menu is a spit roasted warthog and right there, at that moment, I feel a lump rising from deep down to where it gets stuck in my throat.
Spit roasted warthog!
Am I going to pay and watch how it gets sliced and devoured?
It is family, for crying out loud!
Bushpig on the spit, yes thank you, it would be nice. Anything on the spit is worth defying the cold winter weather, as long as it is not a warthog

At Marloth Park the animals become part of one’s existence, because of their daily visits. From the time the mother with her dock-tail came to introduce her four lively offspring for the first time until she staggered home one day all by herself, wasted away and obviously very ill, you experience a close bond with this little group which for years has been part of one’s household. When the grandchildren phone, first thing is to find out how Stompie is doing. Stompie is the daughter of Evelina who was killed by the lions a few years ago, which left us with sad faces for many days.
One of Stompie’s daughters stayed with her, while the rest left her when they became mature, just as Stompie did earlier to help her mother bring up their children. They had eight babies the two of them, and they brought them home to let them play on the lawn like puppies when, after a mid-morning suckle, their tummies looked like blown-up balloons. Afterwards they used to overturn the cool, soft soil under the wild fig tree with their pink snouts before flopping down for a snooze. But there was always one hyperactive one looking for a bit of fun. At first only one would try to shove him away, but soon all eight would join in, wrestling and fighting against each other with their manes straight in the air like porcupine quills. All part pf their preparation for adult life.

They grow up in front of one’s eyes and every morning when they come jogging along, one counts them to make sure that they are all alive and well.
April is the mating season and on some days the family is complete, but the next day the daughter is absent and the mother is looking after the offspring. All of a sudden the daughter comes round the corner, trotting along with her tail in the air like an antenna, followed by old Lelik {Ugly}, the well-equipped boar with his knobs as big as two sweet potatoes (I mean the ones on either side of his head) sniffing and snorting behind her.

One sad day, poor Stompie arrived, having a hard time to drag her sore hip along. She was wasted away and very weak. And who is jogging behind her with his overgrown knobs? Old Lelik, of course. He was definitely the cause of her painful hip, but he could not give a hoot about her condition.
My daughter phoned and very upset about the audacity and insensitivity of the old boar. I told her what was happening and right away Stompie’s name was changed to Kwezi (she suffered from TB and was later put down)

I arrive at the venison festival and I help myself to the offal, game pie and stew. I butter my slice of home baked bread and put an extra scoop of homemade jam on it. I queue up for a helping of spit roast bushpig, but I make a wide detour to avoid the warthog stall, because I don’t eat my family…..

Well I suppose this makes sense why my SO nowadays joins me in not eating venison….especial Kudu, that use to be his favourite. I.s.o eating them, he now has conversations with them. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:17 pm 

Well maybe it it just luck but I had a pair of the CB's in my garden yesterday. They were eating the left over pieces of paw paw. They seemed to be very worried of the BCB arriving, they actually stayed on the ground and did not go near the feeding pole. Anyway they have not returned but I will not give up hope. Cheers for now. Jet :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:24 pm 

Awesome... I tackled my garden yesterday afternoon after golf, I am also putting some bird feeders in, i'd love to have a few CB's or BCB's around... I'll have to wait and see.... :twisted:

Currently we have plenty Cape Sparrows, House Sparrows, Red Headed finches etc.. also have Swallows that have nexted just above our sliding door, they have been coming back to their nest for 3 years now.... And every hear we get to watch the chicks grow up... :lol:

We also have a Pied crow in the area with 1 or 2 DS Kites... Our parrots go bananas everytime the crow comes near.... :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well I used to live next to nature reserve & we had the following:
- Caracal
- Black Backed Jackal
- Cape Fox
- Small Grey Mongoose
- Cape Grysbok
- Kudu
- Cape Francolins
- & Plenty of Birds.

But now we moved..... :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 pm 

we live in joburg so i would have to say rats!...lol

seriously though. we put out wild bird seed every morning and there are a few fruit trees in the yard so at any time there could be several different types of birds fluttering about in the yard but the ones that i really love to see in the yard everyday are the hadedas i love the noise but they seem to be getting used to us and do not give us a mouth full when we come into the yard and there is an owl in the back yard but it is so camoflauged (sp) that we really can't make out which owl it is.
i did see a paradise bird catcher in the back once...beautiful!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:51 pm 

I happened to look out of the patio window one Sunday afternoon this last spring and saw ...

... on the roof of the bungalow opposite.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As I got home, this afternoon, I heard the unmistakable sound of an alarm clock with the bells removed - looked for him and there he was in the backyard, happily calling away.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
binkybozo wrote:
owl in the back yard but it is so camoflauged (sp) that we really can't make out which owl it is.

Most probably a spotted-eagle owl. :wink:

binkybozo wrote:
i did see a paradise bird catcher in the back once...beautiful!!!

Paradise flycathers are beautifull summer visitors! :D

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 56  Next