Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What do your Kruger maps look like?
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:36 pm 

Part of the preparations for our Kruger visit this coming weekend, is to tape our Kruger map together again (for the fourth time....)

It made me think that it might be time to buy a new map, as ours look really shabby...(especially for the southern regions)
There are notes made about animals we saw when we just got it at the end of 1997 (when the new map with the ecozones came out), so it is a sentimental issue too!

I think we'll just carry on with pasting the pieces together as long as we possibily can...

And then when we maybe get a new one someday, laminate it??

What do your Kruger maps look like?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I've got the new Honeyguide, and that includes the Mozzie side. No taping it together, unless you buy several of them, it's a book(let) A4-ish sized.
Maybe buy that one in Kruger and keep it next to the big map?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We bought a new one last time we went and they are awesome. I am talking about the one's that the park sell at the gates. Lots more info on them than the previous one. As far as the notes are concerned, you should consider buying a "little black book" and break it up into animals and write down where you seen what and when, also have a section where you list the roads. We take the map book and laminate (that sticky cellotape like plastic covering you can buy in a roll.) it in the park, otherwise we would have to buy a new one every couple of days. cause I plan my route as the day goes on. My next map that I am buying is gonna get laminated on every page. Our new one already fell out of it's staples that bind it. :oops:

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Never replace - only add! I love my collection of Kruger maps :D . In particular I have an oldish one with a lovely wild dog photo on the cover, it always comes along, despite us buying a new map each year :oops: .

Another cool thing about different maps is that they all have different stuff in them - some have geological info, some have photo's of different bush type areas - well worth collecting :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg wrote:
Never replace - only add! I love my collection of Kruger maps :D . In particular I have an oldish one with a lovely wild dog photo on the cover, it always comes along, despite us buying a new map each year :oops: .

Another cool thing about different maps is that they all have different stuff in them - some have geological info, some have photo's of different bush type areas - well worth collecting :D

I thought I was dumb, so kept quiet. :lol: Now I feel better. I have 6. The first has the prices on the back - R9 for a campsite! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I have about 6 different ones including the very old fold-out one that is taped together. Those really old ones were a bit difficult to fold in the right place.
I love all the information in the new ones.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:31 pm 

I have to join the 'add' group. I have kept all mine - I have one of those foldout ones too. (I even keep my travel documents and any old articles on Kruger I have collected from Getaway etc) :oops:

One does need to update though as there have been changes to roads and waterholes. The latest copy I have is very informative and even has some ranger stations marked on it. It is the one with a male lion on the cover and I had a look for a later edition when I was last in Kruger but it seems the 2003 edition is the latest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:06 pm 

The new map we bought (Bushbaby and I) is a Honeyguide Publication and it seems to be more detailed and up to date than our old Map Studio one.

Bushbaby managed to navigate us out of the Bermuda Triangle (the network of roads above Afsaal, below Skukuza and on the other side of the road from LS) with out getting lost. A first for us :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:13 pm 

yes at the gates and at all the shops. at the gates we only seem to have afrikaans and french ones:)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:20 pm 

Hi people
I have bought the new MAPSTUDIO and i has it ALL
In English
Birding and animal and tree spotting
The history etc.
Great booklet with very detailed mapping
With the Nhlanganzwani Dam :!:

(Travelled that road twice but turned of at Duke's Waterhole and never did the extra 5 km to the dam :redface: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I looked at the mapstudio and the honeyguide. I bought the honeyguide. The mapstudio had a lot more info (If I remember correctly) but was 70 odd Rand. The honeyguide was R25 or R35?

At the end of the day I buy the map to get from point A to B, and even though I take contact tape to cover the map in the park, it still takes a hammering and I buy a new map every 2nd time I go (Never throwing away any of them). The reason mine take a beating, is because I make up my route as I go, never going on the same route.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My favourite is the Jacana map (costs R35) because it's such a clear map to read and has a bit of information on everything. Like Loams, I tend to buy one every trip. The last one I bought had quite a bit of new stuff on over last years edition. A new concession near Pafuri gate (The Outpost) is mentioned on it, for example.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jacana Map?

Did you find it in a Kruger shop? Must try that one then as well. Thanks Kroko

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, available from most of the shops. It has a close-up of an elephant's head on the front. You'll also find it here and a bit cheaper!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With reference to the Jacana map book, i notice there are a few errors in the latest edition.
Errors show up in the Roads in Southern region of Park.

One very obvious mistake is the position of the Nthandanyathi Bird Hide on the S28 between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie. They have it South of the Road to Dukes, where in fact it is about 1 km North of the intersection?

I find the this interesting in that i have an older Jacana publication, where some of errors were not there, i.e. the road intersections and markers were correct.

Anyway, I suppose I will have to buy another issue when re-published with corrections i will forward to their Offices!! :wink:

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )