Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Glad to hear there might be an improvement there :)
Fireworks :evil: We are not allowed to have fireworks here in Oz without a special permit. Consequently, there is only a fireworks display some years on NYE at the town showgrounds. Doesn't affect us as we are on a rural property :thumbs_up:

Both my dogs have been spayed now. Toki was done on Thursday and was more knocked around by it than Lucy. It slowed her up for 48 hours that's for sure! :lol: We are going to re-introduce them to each other tomorrow. I am going to keep Saffie inside with me to keep things simple; SO is going to take Toki outside with a muzzle and let her meet Lucy in the garden with Scooter and then I am going to cross my fingers (I think that is the Oz version of holding thumbs :lol: )

When at the vet, I ran into a lady there who was taking home three dogs, all of whom had been spayed and vaccinated that day. I realised that she was the person who had recently started a dog rescue shelter in our town (the first). I could have hugged her!! :D She has a lot of dogs at the moment as people dump them at Christmas time :evil: :evil: Going to get in touch with her again in the New Year to see if we can help in any way. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi threedogs, fireworks also supposed to be illegal here in SA,have to also have a permit,but the fireworks are freely available I certain shops and also at venders at traffic lights,what good is a law that allows that.

I do hope everything works out with your doggies!!!! They say that when you put them back together, you must be very calm,and you must avoid talking to them,touching them and having any eye contact with them. Try they say it works

Wonderful for you to have met the rescue lady,sounds as if she is doing so much good. Terrible to think that people can just dump pets like that. Bad!! Hope that you can help out a bit,sure it will be appreciated.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hope everything works out with your doggies after they have been spayed Threedogs! :D

Good luck to you too Carol g! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks so much Hilda,I really hope this is the start of more improvement :pray: :pray: :pray:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:46 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Good luck Threedogs, I'm sure the gals will get along better now. :thumbs_up:

People just don't care about the law when it comes to fireworks. Pixie goes into fits of panic which sends SO on a march through the neighborhood reprimanding the culprits. :doh:

Boris loves them! He does not mind the noise at all, he runs up and down the garden like a mad dog chasing after all the lights in the sky.
Boris is just crazy anyway! They must have broken the mold after they made him. :lol:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Breaking the mould :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
MM, Boris has the right idea,Gal is so scared she shakes and climbs up on everything. As she is not well, I am dreading New Year's Eve .I really wish something could be done about the fireworks,we will be at home with Gal, but what about all the animals that will be alone.Just hate to think of it.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Poor Gal.. When in Umhlanga I used to have all the animals around me with plenty of rescue drops in them .. I then let them get on the bed .. a real treat and play music on the TV (C lassicFM) But we used to have WW111 there and the booms and bangs went on for hours . BUT here we hardly heard a thing last year and any of the fetivals have so far been very quite The odd bang or two .. So holding thumbs for this year. Gess and OorWullie didn't seem to notice ... phew

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hugh, give Gal rescue pills,do the drops work better or faster?

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 am 

:lol: MM! If it was black and tan, it might have been Boris!

Carol, my sis-in-law swears by the drops. I think it's absorbed faster?

Folk, don't think you'll believe what I'm about to tell you now. I can hardly believe it as I'm writing.... :?

Last Sunday Zina became ill, she was bringing up and it looked pretty much like Parvo to me. Because the experience with Sabrina was still fresh in my mind I took her to my son's vet, also because he has an excellent reputation with Parvo dogs and saved son's girlfriends two very young dashies 2 weeks ago. (No guessing where Zina picked it up from. :roll: )

The tests were barely positive and he said that it's a very light attack and she should be out within a day or two.
On Monday they said that she'd be discharged on Tuesday.
On Tuesday they said that it started again and that diarrhea has set in as well. On Wednesday they were not sure she'd pull through because the meds don't seem to have an effect. No change on Thursday and on Friday they said I should bring her some chicken, which she ate and brought up again.
On Saturday they said that they were happy to remove the drip and she'd be discharged yesterday.

When we got to the vet yesterday, we were immediately presented with the bill which was 7 days x R 1000.00 plus, plus... do the calculations. Not that I minded paying it, no cost is too high for my kids. :)

Then the wait started, minutes went by, no Zina. Every now and again the door opened and the smiles became more and more nervous. Eventually the receptionist disappeared, returned and asked for her tablets back. She added a handful and said that she should now have a full tab twice per day and not a half as before but the vet will come to speak to us. That is when worry really set in!

Eventually he appeared and said that there was a slight complication with the drip and that she's a bit scuffed in the armpit from walking to the bath but it will be treated as an open wound and that I had to clean the area with water twice per day and bring her back for daily checkups. They might have to operate, he said.

Then they brought her out... Her shoulder was swollen to three times it's normal size but we were so eager to get her home and I could not see much at the time. When we got home I rolled her over and I was horrified! :evil: :evil:
They obviously missed the vein when inserting the drip and all the gunk they pumped into her accumulated in her armpit. She has a cyst twice the size of my fist which fortunately found its own way of draining so she has two holes big enough for me to stick my finger into.
After taking care of her for 7 days, they only noticed it when they took her out of the cage to be discharged! :sniper:

Not only did she have to battle the Parvo by herself, her whole body became septic from their "treatment". :cry:

Gonna have a few choice words ready for them when I take her in today. :evil: I'm sure they are drawing straws to see who will be the unfortunate one to face me. :evil:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Jenb :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: She would have been better off at home.. with you keeping an eye on the drip .. Well lets hope she now can recover But poor little thing. I am sure she had had her parvo virus jabs too. I think you must go back to your own vet .
Carolg Its easier to administer rescue drops than a pillie especially the kitties.I did have pillies for the doggies though at some stage But when the pets are starting to get agitated the last thing they want are pillies down their throats
( this thread is beginning to sound like a pets advice column )

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 am 

Yip, from here on it's back to my old vet for sure!
She had all her jabs so I never thought she's get it but that's probably why the attack was mild. Rottweilers are so susceptible for Parvo, I should have known... :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Jen, I do hope that she is soon 100% better. What a distressing experience. Home is the best place to be. I am a great believer in the healing power of home.

My little Chino nearly died from Biliary early this year. I was told by the vet that it was doubtful that he would make it through the day.

I felt just awful. I had unfortunately missed the symptoms. Each time I thought I should take him to the vet, because he was off his food, he would have a burst of energy and join the other dogs "chasing shadows". He often jumps on tables and steals the cat's food, so not eating is not a major red flag.

Suddenly he went from off colour to critically ill.

Chino pulled through, beyond all expectations.

After 4 days in hospital, they allowed me to take him home. Initially I was told he would be in for ten days at least if he survived. I was told that he perked up so much when I visited that they realised that he would recover faster at home.

He never looked back. He was back to his perky self in a moment.

Chino on a recent walk.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh Jen B,I do hope Zina gets better soon So disappointing when you trust a vet, pay all that money and you find what you found,terrible I will be holding thumbs tightly for Zina.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Oh how sad JenB! What a horror story! I'm also holding thumbs that Zina will recover completely very soon! :pray:

MM I'm so glad to hear that Chino is up and about again! :dance: :dance: I do agree with you, they recover much sooner at home because they miss their people while in hospital. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 97  Next