Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
Thanks to everyone for the empathy and wisdom you have shared with us, it is truly appreciated! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just reciprocating Siobain! :gflower:

Hang in there! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
That must be heart breaking to watch your dogs fight! Especially the one that is not so strong anymore! Mine also sometimes fight, but to a far lesser extent than those bigger dogs. So far they didn't hurt each other, because of the long hair. The little one, who thinks he owns this house, normally just bites the older one's coat .... no blood so far. And as you say, how do one get them apart! I dare not touch any of the two if they are fighting, it just make things worse. But in your very different situation, you cannot let them finish their fight, the bigger one will definitely kill the older one. It is a completely different situation! :cry:

I hope Tessie recovers soon Own and Siobain! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
How horrible OWN & Siobain.

I am out of my league here.

It seems to me it might be a problem as long as you have Calico and other dogs.

Do you have children?

If not and you are planning to, it might be a problem as well.

How does she react to your interaction with children at your house?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
Hi BB, OWN has a daughter, Calico gets on very well with her, however, there were times in the past that Calico showed food dominance with her.

Calico had some bad experiences with our neighbors young son, he used to run around in a spider man suit when she was a puppy, this frightened her and since then she does not like small children, older kids are fine though.

If we take Calico out to the dog park, we always keep her on a leash if there are children about.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
OWN and Siobain, I really feel for your situation, you love all your dogs but one is being difficult, how to manage the situation is sometimes a nightmare.i do hope for your sake the muzzle proves to be successful,
I really hope that a solution can be found for the problem.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks 3D, Hilda, BB, and Carol. :thumbs_up: Your empathy and sharing of knowledge is wonderful and makes us feel like we're not alone in all of this; which, in itself, is half the battle already. Having such a caring family of forumites is magnificent. Thank you to all of you. :clap: :clap: :clap: We do believe that the muzzle should solve the problem as Calico will only be required to wear it when Tessie is around; the rest of the time we will keep them separated, as we are doing now. As to the children aspect, Calico has never bitten a child, and is probably more unsure of them than they are of her. As Siobain noted, the little boy that ran around our complex screaming in his spider-man suit scared her as a puppy. These days she is simply more curious than anything else and often just wants to sniff them out. By and large, Calico is fine out in dog parks, but within the hierarchy of our household she feels she needs to assert herself.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Something else that might help a little.

Give Calico her food just before the others.
If you give titbits, which is not a great practise, start with Calico.

She sees herself as the pack leader, at least of the dogs. It is always a risk to introduce an adult dog where there are already others.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 am 
Thanks BB. :thumbs_up: :D We'll try and maintain the perceived hierarchy, as we have noticed how important it is to the stability of a dog pack.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:31 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
OWN, Calico's dominance over your daughter would worry me more than anything else. I think she sees herself as the pack leader but not only the dog pack, the one that includes humans too. :wink:

Have you taken her to obedience training?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

Well as a former Dog holder, I have to say that Dogs will sort it out by themselfes. the best thing is not to interfere, except the fight will be to blody. But usually that is not the case, they want to thought out the hierarchy. So when the Fight is still going on in such a matter which will be bloody, then I see no other chance to sell one of them it will be less stressfull to the dog and humans.

Actually I want to ask, did the Dog bite humans? Doesn´t matter if Children or adults? If yes, I can´t see another option then to euthanize. This Dog will be a danger for you, your Children and guests. If an accident occur, you will be in big trouble. I really would think about that matter aswell. I know it is a damm hard decision to take, I feel with you. And i really wish you all the best. You will do the right decission.

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 am 
Jen, thanks for the concern, but Siobain was referring to a time more or less two-and-a-half years ago when my daughter and Calico first met. As we have since realised, dogs seek their hierarchical position in a pack and will continue to do so until they are satisfied they know where they fit in. Until then - and this is especially true of potentially dominant and/or hyperactive dogs (amd also some humans :hmz: ) - they will continue to push the boundaries to elevate their perceived status. However, we guided my daughter to assert her dominance over Calico and also to allow the dog to eat when she said it was okay, and within a month the low growling had stopped; since then, my daughter and Calico get along fabulously and, in fact, my daughter is now Calico favourite person. In actuality, Calico has never actually bitten anyone (and has never threatened to do so with us), and she is mostly all display and barking around strange humans in general.

However, with Tessie - another bitch that potentially threatens her perceived position in the pack - she has been far more aggressive and actually has been showing intent to really hurt her. We have been struggling to get the right size and comfort of muzzle for Calico, and will look tomorrow in larger stores. Calico and Tessie have been separated since the fight and, though Calico was seemingly quite depressed and confused about our actions for a few days, she has slowly begun to accept the situation. She is by no means a stupid dog and we're sure that she knows that we were highly upset with her. We also found that, when she comes to us for attention, we give her love, but not too effusively or for too long. This has seemed to make her more comfortable and more sure of what we are doing. Of course it will be some time before we will introduce Calico into Tessie's space, but things are beginning to look quite positive already.

Malealea, thanks for your advice. As I noted above, Calico has never bitten a human; if she had - and especially if it was one of us - we would definitely have taken steps to relocate her. My family had a lovely border collie years back and, when he was about five years old, he bit every one of our family members, beginning with the one he perceived as lowest in the pack, and moving up the sequence until finally biting his actual owner. After a series of tests, we discovered that he had a type of leukaemia and was sadly in a lot of pain. Though heartbreaking for everybody, we knew that the best thing for everyone concerned, including him, was to have him euthenased. I'll never forget the resigned, calm look that he gave me when I picked him up and carried him in to Onderstepoort.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 pm 

Onewithnature,

I can fully understanf your thoughts. I had a cross over from a Geramn shepperd and Foxterrier. This one was so aggresive, he has bitten me twice and my sister once. he was absolutley solitary and he wasn´t able to cope with other Dogs. It was a nightmare, you can never be sure how this dog react, because sometimes he was able to accept other Dogs, but that was an rarity. Even with humans it was very tricky. You never know how this dog react. In my oppinion my Parents had done a Mistake not to euthanize him.

Every Dog holder have a responsibility for the Dogs and humans. Always, and I´m very honest, I love dogs and I feel not omfortable not to have one at the moment, but I know I don´t want to have an unsocial dog nor an agressive one. It will be less stressfull and much nicer.

Even so I´m still young (26 Years old) I have much experience with dogs. Untill my 25 birthday grew up with them. From the start to the end. 25 Years experience .

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had to put our dog Lulu, a pavement special, to sleep. She was such a adorable companion to our household especially to the kids. We took her from the street very much still as a puppy and she took turns to sleep with the kids.

The kids (and we) miss her a lot and we notice that especially with Bianca who is 8 yo. She needed two things when she went to bed, Lulu and "Vlooi" her teddy bear. Nico (6 yo) doesn't say much but we have caught him this past week sitting at the place where Lulu always rested under a shrub.

Dearest and myself have discussed it this weekend to get a new dog. But we are struggling which breed will be most suitable to have for the kids taking into account their ages. We do have enough space to keep a large dog when he/she has grown up but maybe a smaller breed would be better?

Any suggestions from you as dog lovers?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maybe a little Yorkshire terrier, they are very cute and I believe good with kids.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 97  Next