Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Another incident was when we took friends for the first time to Kruger. SO told his mate you can touch the wire high up and will not get a shock, SO proceeded to show it does not shock and touched the wire. He did not get a shock so friend touch the wire after SO did. Well he got a shock I have never seen a man do a high jump and sprint in such a record time When he recovered he was silent for a few seconds then ROFL He then told SO that he is going to get him back sometime. A couple of month's after the incident
the two of them went to go and play there weekly squash. Well when SO came home after the match I ROFL, because his friend got him back on the squash court He was full of red "ball" marks on his back legs and arms

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK, I assume there's a serious note to the following story as well, but we still found it very amusing.

On our recent arrival at B&D rest camp, one of our neighbours immediately informed us about a leopard on the other side of the fence just a few bungalows from the one where we were staying. After four previous “leopardless outings"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:32 pm 

Obelix's story about underwhelmed neighbours reminds me of our encounter with a rhino. After 4 days in KNP with only one fleeting glance of a rhino we got back to our B-a-D bungalow. In one of his cigarette trips in the evening SO heard something by the fence. On further investigation in turns out to be a rhino, right by the fence, munching away. Our neighbours had just started their braai and we went to tell them. Out of a family of 5 only one went down to the fence to look and he only stayed for a couple of minutes. I was there about 1/2 hour just watching him, amazed to be so close to him without him seeming stressed about it at all. Having said that I was very pleased that there was an electric fence between him and me.

So Saffies given a choice between a close up of a rhino or a braai - what's your choice?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Was also asked once at Orpen Dam what was lying in the mud, without thinking I said it was a "hippocrockaduck" The poor man looked very stunned (I think he thought it was a new species of crocodile ) and after a while I told him it was a joke and it is a crocodile Well he just burst out laughing and told his friend (in German) that it is a croc. Since then our name for a croc is "hippocrockaduck"
The next day my niece (3years old) was with us at the same dam when she spotted a Giraffe. She pointed it out to us and said it was a "Tworaff" She still gets teased (now 22years old) and it is officially known in our family as a "tworaff"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:46 pm 

Our family has another standing joke, a bit off colour granted, but elephant droppings are known as "tortoises" after having been mistaken as such!!
Doubt if anyone can match that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I watched a guy pitch a tent in Satara next to the fence and can you believe he tried to fasten his tent rope to the fence. Well the fence just clapped him back a foot or two, gave him the fright of his life, silly fool.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

About 12 years ago we took two friends of ours on their first visit. We stayed in ajoining chalets at Lower Sabie, river frontage. About 0430 in the morning we were wakened by roaring outside. We looked out and a pair of courting lions were walking along the fence. Later when we were all together we asked Rose if she had heard the lions. She replied, 'I heard something , but I thought it was just Greg snoring'.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On the Metzi Metzi trail in December, we were snaking our way through the bush on our morning walk when one of the Australian guests on the trail signalled for us all to stop and advised us that he had seen a "giant rabbit" hopping through the bush. Rudi, the guide, asked him to describe the "rabbit" and he said it was a reddish colour and described a size definitely larger than a scrub hare. Rudi was struggling to compose himself as he explained that a rabbit of that size did not exist in the KNP but the Australian (hi Richie, if you're reading) described the hopping action and asserted that it was a rabbit. We continued on the trail for an hour or so and Richie again signalled that he had seen something. "Look, it's that rabbit again!" We could see something, which - indeed - appeared to be hopping, but as soon as it stopped, it became quite clear that it was a female steenbok hopping over the tufts of bush. Richie was a bit quiet for the rest of the morning!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
We were driving on the H1-5 between Letaba and Olifants when something draw my attention on the road. A long line of Ants were crossing the road. We stopped ant waiting till they had past. Then a car was coming and passed me. I gave a klaxcon to warn them. The car stopped and drove back to us. Yes?the man said, He didn't understand because there were no lions, leopards, ellie's or name it. I said, you nearly killed a lot of lives, sir. The man was looking at me like if he saw the biggest Idiot there is. Than I pointed with my finger to the ground and than he saw what I had tryed to say. The last group Ants were just leaving the road when the man said, Oh that you mean and drove away. I had a good feeling that we had save some lives.

Last edited by Nico on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were at Satara one night & while sitting on our verandah having something light to eat our next door neighbour was having a wors(sausage) braai. They kept on feeding the birds while I was saying to my SO "I hope those birds ****(ilhavedam) in their plates when they eat. In the end I could'nt take it anymore & went over asking them politely to stop. They were off course very annoyed. As the guy turned the wors he shouted out loud " This is for the birds." We just ignored him but when the wors was ready & he took it off it all fell to the ground. We had to run inside as we ROFL.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

At our first few visits to the Kruger, everytime we had an ellie that scared the heck out of us. The 3rd visit (may 2003) we were in Punda, driving the Mahony-loop as we always do there, very early, and Nico said, very relaxed, how much he was adapted to Kruger and said than: "I'am totally ready for it" (after several ellie attacks, Nico was ready for the next one). Within a minute or 2 a huge campervan came across us. We drove on, and than we heard something like a train, we looked back and a big elephant bull came after us, ears wide, trunk rolled up, and running so fast. We drove away as fast as we could, than Bullie went into the bush, and we wiped the sweat off our heads. Next moment he ran right through the bushes and off we went again. He repeated this several times, we never did the loop so fast. At the end we were far away enough, and we looked to eachother very releaved, and I was about to tell Nico that he was NEVER ever aloud to say that he was ready for anything in the Park, when we came around a turn in the dirtroad. Mind you it was still not completely light, and what we were seeing, both of us at the same time, was a baby ellie.
Nico stopped right away, and we both twisted our necks, to see where the rest of the herd was.
Than we looked in front of us again, and better this time. What we both had recognised as a baby ellie, was in real life
AN OLD GREY NYALA MALE, with his head hidden in the bushes As we past him, we laughed our heads off, and I admit, out of relief that was.
Till this day, every time were in the Park, at one moment or another, when we see the behind of a Nyala male coming out of a bush, either of us shouts: watch it, baby-ellie, and we still enjoy our stupidity.

Have a virtual trip through my work
http://yvonnevandermey.nl

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:20 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This reminds me
Last year on the S28 in the early morning light i got very, very exited. I saw the rounded, yellow figure of pangolin approaching. Reaching for my camera, tried to keep it still and battling with my beanbag ready to shoot...

Only to see then that it was a helmeted guineafowl with its head down kicking up dust.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:39 am 

During our trip to Kruger last week we came across a beautiful young lion lying right next to the multi direction sign post at the T junction of the H4-1 and H1-1. He was lying with his paws within inches of the edge of the road and as usual there were several cars parked all around taking pics.
When along comes this sedan from the north with 2 occupants. We watched them as they got closer and closer to the lion and I was cringing thinking they must have been pretty close to running over his toes when they stopped, with his nose virtually right against the car door and believe it or not but they had no idea what everyone was looking at and were looking around with confused expressions!!
Eventually someone managed, with wild hand signals, to get the passenger to look down and he must have been nose to nose with the lion at that point. Well the look of shock on his face as the car shot backwards was something to see.
After they had got over the fright the embarrassment set in, much to everyones amusement.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm 

Being an American who has grown up in southern Africa, I often cringe when I see American tourists in Africa and especially in Kruger...there have been countless times my family and I have exchanged agonized looks as Americans enthusiastically comment on the "little deers" they saw and once we even heard of a tiger sighting!

One really funny incident...at least I thought it funny at the time, was when we were staying in Skukuza one New Year's Eve. A group of Germans were camped quite close to our tent and at the stroke of midnight they began setting off firecrackers!! They woke us up and scared us silly!
Also camped quite close by was an Afrikaner family and they came out and complained...a shouting match ensued and the camp manager called. Me and my family lay in our tent listening to it all and trying to stifle all our giggling! Poor people...you just don't go to the park to do stuff like that!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
After my uncle and I watched a successfull leopard hunt 10m away from us on the Mahonie loop he said to a bloke at the communal camping kitchen that he had seen a "tier"(tiger) catch something.

The oke replied: "'n tier oom? Dit moes baie spesiaal gewees het, eerste keer in 30jaar dat iemand 'n tier hier rond sien". (wonder who saw the last one?)
It must have been very special he said, first time in 30 years that someone had seen one around here (wonder who saw the last one?). And then he walked off without taking his washed dishes with.

We waitied for my dad to dust himself off 10mins later when he got up from ROTF. And we too moved off to have another oom ricky louw and coke. :

Fact is many elderly people call leopards "tiers" or "tiere" (tigers).

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next