Skip to Content

Funny Experiences

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa

Moderator: Crested Val

nighthawk2

Re: Funny Experiences

Unread postby nighthawk2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 pm

A couple of years ago we were on the Mahonie Loop, shortly after a burn.
Driving very slowly looking out the side window and occaisionally looking forward to make sure we were still on the road. Just as I turned my head to look forward there was an elephant not 10 metres from the car happily munching on a shrub. You would think that shortly after a burn there wouldn't be many obstacles to seeing anything on the side of the road....especially an elephant.
Well.... as I shouted oh S#%@T an elephant, the elephant finally saw us & starts trumpetin & coming after us. I floored the accelerator& left in a cloud of dust, but still the bugger gave chase. Trouble is, he can go where he wants, we have to stick to the road. Thankfully he was satisfied that he had seen the last of us.

Other incident was in the Okavango, we got to camp & the manager warned us there was an elephant just behind the loo & to be careful. Now what self respecting individual would let that go without going to have a look? My brother & I slowly walked to the loo & could here the elephant but couldn't really see him. He was shaking a large tree to knock the nuts from it. We could see them bouncing off his head & we just started laughing. All of a sudden this elephant comes charging out> Both of us went OH (edit) turned tail & ran like Usain Bolt, leaping over fallen trees & jumping over depressions until we just couldn't go any further. We stopped & turned around to see where the elephant was. He too had stopped & could swear he had great big grin on his face. Make fun of me will you...we'll see!
the nighthawk

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm

While staying at Satara, we came back from a drive and my SO put his car keys down on the table on the veranda of our chalet, this was a long time ago before the monkeys were so plentiful in the camps, anyway when we wanted to go out again the keys were gone,

A little boy from the chalet next door was watching us with a very guilty look on his face, I took a chance and asked him where our keys were, he started laughing and said he did not know but kept on giggling, I then knew that the little guy knew all about the keys.

Well I promised him sweets and ice cream if he showed me where the keys were.eventually he tok me to a spot next to there chalet where he dug them up, he had buried them :D

I wonder what we would have done if he wasn't there anymore, or had forgotten what he did with them.

After that SO never left his keys outside again :D :D
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:31 am

I might get a kick in the rear for this but Elsa does have a dodgy knee, so I will take my chances. This is not so much a story but a funny comment.

So we were heading to Timbovati picnic spot for lunch on our recent trip, when I saw the baobab tree on the side of the road. I pointed it out and Elsa in her "I'm teaching the kids" tone says

"Yes, it is often there."

Well, Klystron and I asked the obvious question.

"Where does it go on the occasions it is not there?"

Had me giggling for several days.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:11 pm

*Bump topic.*
Thinking of Africa every day.

Return to “Chit-Chat”