Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@ Amanzi - yogurt works well as a meat tenderizer, and if you buy the full cream Greek version from Woollies, you will still get the creamy taste but less kilojoules. I like to slow-cook lamb or sheep - as it tends to become very tough when shocked over a high heat when raw.

@ Mikev - that's a good tip - and you're quite right - oxtail really has a rather nasty layer of fat. I usually prepare the oxtail a day before the time and once it cools down, the fat layer that forms at the top is easy to remove.

Interesting that you are focusing on a healthier method - we try to eat raw and fresh whilst travelling, as one tends to feel clogged and fatigued from all the meat and bread.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kasseler chops or ribs potjie recipe .

-some olive oil and butter at the bottom
-layer of coaursly sliced onions
-dry rice spread above and salt
-layer/s of kasseler chops or ribs
-sliced potatoes layer
-sliced tomatoes and choice of herbs (say origanum) on top
-mushrooms , green peppers etc optional too

-put on heat till you smell the onions browning nicely
-add about as much liquid (water , wine or stock) as the rice portion was .
-simmer till the liquid is absorbed (about an hour or less)

Post subject: Potjie
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 pm 
Who can read this thread without drooling!!?

Woerie's mention of using Coke is very important. This is the ultimate tenderiser.

Sometimes one can buy a consignment of imported frozen "Australian Lamb" for about R2 a kilo.

I once experimented with this and found the stuff inedible, very surprisingly. As a last resort I marinaded it in Coke for a couple of hours, and used it in a potjie. The results were amazing!

The point is, that if you are nervous about the tenderness of your meat, or are using whatever is left, use at lest a can of Coke. Results guaranteed.

Also, it is vital to "seal" the meat by braising it in the hot pot first of all, preferably with onions. Coke comes next for a few minutes, and the potatoes for a little longer before the veggies start, to give moisture with the lid on.

To answer the question about "breaking in" a brand new pot, it is certainly not the end of the world. To be sure, boil it for an hour or so with water, salt and oil, just in case. Discard the stuff, and temperature and lubrication should be perfect to start braising the meat.

Once everything's in, lower heat and keep it closed, but check taste every 10 mins or so in case salt is needed. Just listen to ensure it is boiling SLOWLY.

You can do the whole thing in 2 hours using Coke. (Jammer Johan, Africa's a tough country)

I alwys use rice as the side dish.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Amanzi, I am from the bacon brigade! I add both bacon & mushrooms in addition to the tomato & onion relish to the pap tert. To die for!!! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I while ago Mikev asked for a recipe thread so, here it is Mike. ;-)

We already have a few food threads on the forum, but this one is especially for sharing recipes. (I split off a few posts to start off with.) Please share your favourite park's original recipe with us. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This one's gonna be my favourite!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:49 am 

Here's the veggie dish I posted in my trip report: (still have to finish the trip report.)

Mediterranean veggies

1 aubergine
1 baby marrow
1 red paprika
1 yellow paprika
2 red onions cut in rings
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped (2 or more cloves)
1 can of artichokes
4 table spoons of olive oil
200g soft goat cheese, but feta will do as well.
fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme)
black olives
pepper and salt

grill basket

Wash the aubergine, baby marrow and paprika’s and chop them into chunks. Set the aubergine aside. Mix the vegetables with the onions, garlic, herbs, olives and olive oil. Set aside for 15 minutes and then add aubergine and artichokes. Put all in the grill basket and add lost of fresh grounded pepper and salt. Put on hot coals and cook for about 20 minutes. Crumble goat cheese over the top and wait till it melts a bit.
Serve with a ciabatta.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just a question...

Do you salt your aubergine and put lemonjuice on them, to stop them from turning black?

Grill your Ciabatta on a got grill, and rub with a garlic clove

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 am 

Quote:
Do you salt your aubergine and put lemonjuice on them, to stop them from turning black?

Well, you could. The salt also extracts moisture from the aubergine, making it less soggy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think adding baby-corn might be a nice addition to your recipe

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Baked veges in a potjie (Dutch oven) - side dish for your braai .

Pack the potjie with spuds (or potatoes) and butternut and bake as for a pot bread over coals (or even the camp stove) for about 45 minutes . Perfect dry roasted veges result and you can put butter over or whatever you fancy .

Other veges that work are : sweetpotato , carrots , pumpkin and even onions .
You can even add softer veges about halfway thru the cooking
period like : baby marrows , green peppers , tomatoes etc.

The main thing is the neglegible preparation time and the potjie watches itself , so you have time for "other " things.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mutton shank potjie
- for a rainy night or when you are tired of too many braai's .

Mutton shanks sawn into pieces . You can also add a beef shin (cut into bite size pieces) and also add some venison pieces - they all augment each other .

Put butter and olive oil in the potjie over fire or stove , and then braize the meat . Add rough sliced onion at give them a final braising too .

Reduce heat and add spuds (or diced potatoes) , carrots and tomatoes (to supply the liquid) . Simmer away for as long as you fancy . Add a tin of red kidney beans towards the end .

I don't believe in adding extra liquids but that's personal , and soft veges turn it into stew . Rather do a separate pot with rice and steam extra veges (also frozen ones) on top of the rice halfway thru the rice cooking time .
Pap is also good but not as good as a bed of rice .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oxtail potjie - just the same as the shank potjie but here you can add extra liquid and simmer at higher heat .

However here is the trick . Towards the end pour off the cooking liquid , which has a lot of rendered down fat in it , into a dish . Then put ice cubes into this and scoop off the congealed fat .
Return the gelatinous liquid to the pot and finish it off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Gwen , I like you idea of the open coals braaied veges and will definatly try it .

I assume the "grill basket" is the double sided grill that folds closed holding the contents - "toevourooster" in afrikaans .
And red and yellow "paprika" is what we call "sweet peppers" .

Also used to toast the sarmies (filled with onion, tomato and cheese) not so . The credit for this braai delicacy goes to the folks from the Cape .

I often use olive oil instead of margarine/butter to smear the outsides of the bread . It toasts slower and more golden with less chance of burning . Patience and cool temperature is of course the secret .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Chicken braai pieces - always available in the camp shops so a real (& economical) standby .

While you have a cool fire and the grill basket out for the sarmies do this chicken . Beware - you may never enjoy take away chicken again (as much).

Take the (seasoned to your choice) chicken pieces and massage them with OLIVE OIL and leave alone for a while you have sundowner/s . The olive oil truly prevents the chicken pieces from burning and gives a golden tan . The fatty skin also grills the underlying fat slowly out and becomes crispy .
Turning the grill basket regularly helps too and this braai can take up to an hour so see that your drinks are topped up.

Gwen - this term of yours "GRILL BASKET" really sounds good , it flows off the tongue like "toevou-rooster " .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next