Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Income for Photographs?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 pm 

Hi all,

My mother is starting a project supported by Sanparks called "My year in Kruger" where she will stay in Kruger for one year and post 'live' reports and sightings everyday.

She has just started taking an interest in photography and some of her pictures are quite good.

She has been looking for sponsorship for various things to help with the financing of this project, but I was thinknig if there was anywhere she could sell her photos for an extra income to help with it all?

If anyone knows of anywhere or any advice, please feel free to help.

Tahnx.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Remember that you cannot just go in a take photos or film for commercial purposes. As your mother's trip has already been sanctioned (if that's the right word) by SANParks, then it may be ok but she may need to check with them first.

Selling photos is tricky, where's the market? Something you could consider though is contacting publications, think big - think National Geographic. Tell them about the trip and see if they are interested in publishing a diary or similar. If necessary, lower your sights maybe as far as your own local "rag". Some of the magazines aimed at women, Cosmo and the like could well be interested in a mother with grown up kids going at alone in the bush for a year.

Nothing ventured and all that. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:11 pm 

Hi,

Thanx for the advice. I will definatly contact them and see what I can do, thank you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:52 pm 

Try selling your pics on Stock Libraries..I belong to about 6 ..the best being Shutterstock (Google their site and earn money while you sleep).. Disagree completely with Rayb about not being able to sell your Holiday shots from Kruger.... Just give them a mention...ie "photo taken in Kruger National Park RSA" then they get their free advertising...as long as you behave like a normal tourist...Pay your conservation fee, accommodation, do a bit of shopping in their shops, BUT dont use their services like guides/guards , request to stay out after dark with their transport..ie dont consume their resources. The animals belong to the citizens of RSA your camera equipment belongs to you , your vehicle is for your account so you can do what you like with your pics...I have sold pics on and off for 40 years and nobody is going to take the food out of my kids mouths ...besides I pay my taxes

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here's the relevant section of the SANP regulations on photography and video in the Parks.

Regulation 20(1) provides that a person may not undertake any of the following activities
in a special nature reserve, national park or world heritage site except pursuant to a
license, permit or agreement and subject to the payment of the appropriate fees
between that person, or some other person, and the management authority:
(i) Subsection 20(1)(a) – the filming and simultaneous transmitting of
photographic images by the use of a webcam or other image recording or
transmitting device;
(ii) Subsection 20(1)(e) – the provision of, or the offering to provide, any service
for a fee or a reward;
(iii) Subsection 20(1)(h) - an activity of any kind for the purpose of fund raising,
personal gain or making a profit.

I do believe that they tend to look sympathetically on request like this but the rules look as clear to me as the 50kph speed limit on tarred roads. To campaign vehemently against speedsters and then ignore the photography rules seems a little hypocritical. I appreciate that the negative impact caused by speeding is far greater than the odd commercial snap but there is a principle at stake.

I don't want to make a major issue on this but I feel it would be polite to ask first.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:48 am 

Are these regulations not perhaps only applicable when you are still in the actual park itself - for eg. taking photos and then trying to sell them to other visitors while still in the park - ie. conducting business within a National Park -something along the lines of street photographers in the 1960's who used to get you while out shopping or at the beach-(I have a few of these in the old albums of myself being "happily" out shopping with Mom!)???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:39 am 

Hi BB
How do we get to read your mother's posts?
It sounds interesting! WHy is she doing this- tell me more about her project please.

My understanding of the publications law is that if ANYTHING is used for personal gain then royalties must be given to SANPARKS, and permission must be gained beforehand.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:52 pm 

Those rules mentioned above are for the National Geographic film crews who require night guides and guards,Vehicles etc as well as photographers who do big budget stuff and need to stay out for night shots and travel to off beat places accompanied by guards etc. But for the hundreds of thousands of little people who dont utilise any resources and pay for our own equipment and Accom and Cons fees and shop in the shops etc who get home and put a few hundred shots on Stock Libraries for a little income to feed the kids for a couple of days ina month that is unpolicable and basically doesnt apply especially if you put "Kruger National Park" etc as one of the required keywords so SANParks should actually be paying me for free advertising in my book...Its in the same category as if I went to London and took a pic of the London Bridge and then am required to pay the Lord Mayor of London a fee...in the real world that doesnt happen and wouldnt be allowed to happen...in my life anyway

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Peter, I think you'd be ok with London Bridge but there is a law prohibiting the taking of commercial photographs in and around the Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square and most of the public parks. You have to get a licence and pay a fee. You can also be asked not to use a tripod in a London street.

Whilst all of this smacks of "Big Brother" there are good reasons for the restrictions as it does give the authorities the power to act if someone's causing a nuisance, or worse.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:26 pm 

No I'll just take my chances in London and happily click away along with all the thousands of Japanese tourists...its probably a security thing in Houses of Parliament...like the PE harbour where I live...9/11 and all that

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I believe the main reason is so that the police have the powers to stop unlicenced photographers bothering and sometimes intimidating tourists.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:08 am 

Peter Betts wrote:
Its in the same category as if I went to London and took a pic of the London Bridge and then am required to pay the Lord Mayor of London a fee...in the real world that doesnt happen and wouldnt be allowed to happen...in my life anyway

Well, here in The Netherlands we have a bridge in Rotterdam that was designed by some famous architect. You can take pictures of that bridge for your own use. But as soon as these pictures are published somewhere, their office will contact you and require a license fee. This has gone to court and they did win the case. The architect does hold the "copyright" to the brdige and no one is allowed to publish pictures of that bridge without his permission (and paying a fee).

Personally I agree that this is ridiculous.

Same thing now happens at zoos. You can take pictures of the animals for your own use but you are not allowed to publish them without permission (and payment of a fee). By buying an admission ticket you declare yourself in agreement with these rules. There is even talk that national parks and reserves here are thinking along similar lines..... :roll:

Of course unless you include very evident features in your images, no one will be able to tell.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 am 

Exactly my point if you are careful about backgrounds how is anyone going to say that is a Kruger Ellie or a Moremi Ellie. Besides no one owns a wild animal apart from the zoo which would have bought the animal somewhere and would then own it!! But like the Bridge in the Netherlands and the Rotterdam Zoo animals...If I were to take pics of them and say sold them to Quantas Airlines in Australia for an international calendar and this fact became known to the zoo and the architect...are they going to come and get me in South Africa because I earned just enough for 1 family meal...I think not...The next thing we are going to have is at the French Grand Prix a Newspaper photog takes a brilliant pic of a Ferrari at a corner and this pic appears on the Cover of "Motorsport" and the Ferrari designer then wants a fee because he designed the car ...or the Model wearing a Branded item is photographed casually ..will the designer sue in both cases ...no they will view it as FREE advertising ...something that normally affects the bottom line

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:04 pm 
I live in Noordhoek, Cape Town and we have a very well known beach, under Chapmans Peak. It is often used for television commercials here and abroad. This is all part of Table Mountain National Park. Hundreds of people surf, walk their dogs, kick balls, picnic and fly kites on the beach but if a park ranger spots you taking a photo with a camera bigger than 8.2mp they want to see a permit or you must pack up. This is regardless of whether it is for commercial reasons or not. No permit no photo's! I often take landscape images or shots of the surfers, which I have been doing for years but all of a sudden you can't do this. This is Sanparks getting stupid or the rangers eager to pick on a civilian rather than go after serious culprits like the poachers.

Post subject: Re: Income for Photographs?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:08 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Just getting back on topic for a second, guys ;-)

Bush_baby wrote:
She has been looking for sponsorship for various things to help with the financing of this project, but I was thinknig if there was anywhere she could sell her photos for an extra income to help with it all?

If anyone knows of anywhere or any advice, please feel free to help.

Tahnx.

Hi Bush_baby,

Quite a lot of people sell their photos on flickr. Some people sell more on flickr than from the so called Stock Libraries, so I'd definitely give that a shot. I know your mum has an account there.