Canon Lenses

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Anyone using a 70-200mm F2.8 L or 17-40mm L

Unread postby madach » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 pm

delboysafa wrote:Am interested in purchasing either one of these for my 20D in the next 6-10 months. I am covered on 200mm Prime currently with my 200mm F2.8 L MK2 and I do have the 17-85mm IS (EF-S). Only reason I am considering the 70-200 f2.8 is because of the flexibility of the zoom. Is the IS really worth it?

I used to own a 70-200 f/2.8 before it was stolen in a home burglary. I replaced it with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS version so I've used both.

I think the non-IS version is slightly sharper than the IS version, but that might be splitting hairs as both lenses are incredibly sharp. If the IS is worth the price is up to you. I think the price difference is ludicrous, but still I bought the IS version. Without IS it's a sharp and versatile lens and with IS it's a sharp and even more versatile lens. If you plan on using it from a tripod or beanbag for most of your shots then it doesn't make much sense to get the IS version. If you plan on using it handheld a lot then the IS makes a lot of sense.

Seeing that you already own a 17-85 and a prime 200mm I personally wouldn't invest in the 70-200mm. Check for yourself in what percentage of your shots you actually use the range from 85mm to 200mm. If I had to guess then I'd say that is probably a small percentage. Should that be be the case then the price of the 70-200mm is difficult to justify....

M.

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:55 pm

Can't comment on the 70-200 specifically but a couple of comments anyway.

IS can be very useful but remember for a lot of wildlife photography you need a high shutter speed - thus negating some of its value. Just try and get a good picture of a guineafowl for instance - the way they bob around, and IS is wasted! Despite this I have a couple of IS lenses! But for telephoto I am a prime lens man - had the 100-400, not very impressed (though I also think that it does not work well with the camera I had then, a 20D). Also 90% shots taken at 400.

The sharpest lens is the 135 F2 - non IS but a superb lens. Much better than the 100-400 at any focal length.

Your other question - the 17-40 is a very good lens. I use it as my main wideangle. However I invested in a 1DmkII when the price fell on the release of the new version. With the 20D you would be better off with the 10-22 - capable of some superb shots.

Richard

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Salva » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:02 am

Reading all these different comments I'd say: "de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum!"

Still the comments are very helpful!
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

Nannie

Unread postby Nannie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Image Look carefully the cars reflection is on the right of the eye.This is a 448% crop of about a 36% crop-20D,70-200 f2.8 L IS,no IS used,which indicates the equipment is not too shabby.

Nannie

Unread postby Nannie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:17 am

Just had a look at my supposed 448% crop,well it was supposed to be as i cropped to that, then resize image in photoshop thinking that the crop would be the image,but no,looks like it will only save a 100% crop. :redface:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:19 am

:lol:

The joys of software....
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Canon 300mm f/4.0L IS USM

Unread postby NightOwl » Thu May 18, 2006 4:38 pm

What is the general feeling about this lens?
Is it a good prime to start with for Wildlife photography, if you take price into consideration. Way!!! cheaper than the 400mm.
What is it's quality like with a 1.4 Extender? is it still acceptable?
Anybody here own this lens? Comments?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu May 18, 2006 4:44 pm

Have a look at this topic. Plenty people who have it, and everyone is very happy with it.
Extender? Use the 1.4 (Canon's!) without trouble, you really can't see the difference. The 2.0 one will give you a bit of trouble though.
First of, f/4 + 2 stops is f/8, so no Auto Focus any more, and the sharpness degrades.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Thu May 18, 2006 7:21 pm

I own the one without IS
Very satisfied with it and with appr 4.0 no distortion in the images.
And with 1.4 still the same quality
I have experienced less sharpness with the 2.0 when the subjects were more that 50 meters away.
But for close-ups didnt see any loss of sharpness

KampRunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby KampRunner » Thu May 18, 2006 8:17 pm

Night Owl I have just come back from KNP and used only the 300mm lens. As a newcomer to SLR I found it fantastic.
Have a look at my website www.afrobrit.corel.shutterfly.com to give you an idea of the quality of the lens. All the animal & bird pics taken with the 300mm. The stabiliser was amazing & could not have done without it.
G :cam:
I dreamt of the red dunes again last night.....

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Fri May 19, 2006 12:25 am

This is also my main lens in the Kruger - very sharp pictures. Many examples at http://www.pbase.com/richardharris

IS is very useful and helping to eliminate hand wobble - but don't forget, wildlife frequently needs a high shutter speed anyway.

Richard

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Salva » Fri May 19, 2006 5:41 pm

Go for it Nightowl! I have the same combination 300mm f/4 and 1.4 extender but with Nikon. Very sharp! And don't forget on a DSLR this becomes an 450mm f/4 and with extender 630mm f/5.6. With the IS I guess even the last is handholdable. (Not really the case with my lens: when I use the converter on DSLR I need beanbag)

It is a perfect "game" lens!
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

KampRunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby KampRunner » Fri May 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Amazing :cam: richardharris...the lions are absolutely brilliant.. :thumbs_up:
G
I dreamt of the red dunes again last night.....

delboysafa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby delboysafa » Fri May 26, 2006 5:08 pm

Taken with the 300mm F4 non-IS. Love the lens

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby j-ms » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”