SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hedrus wrote:
I am absolutly all for the 200-400. I wish Canon made such a fine lens.

Would go great with the 70-200's that they allready do .
Maybe something is on the horizon :)

Post subject: Novice Question : Lenses
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm 

Hi to all Fundi's in this section.
Firstly thanks to all the good info you guys supply us novices regarding cameras.

I have just purchased my first SLR camera, a Canon 350 (D?) that comes with a 18x55 lens.

I di not know anything about lenses. In lay mans terms, would this equal a 3xzoom?

If I purchase a 70 x 300ml lens, would this equal a 10xzoom on a normal digital camera like a Panasonic FZ7?

Sorry, I this sounds stupid, but I do not know how else I can try to explain myself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:40 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Johan, I am not a fundi by any means, but all I know is that you need more than the 18 to 55 lense that comes with the camera. I have that lense and also a 70 to 300 which is magic. I also have a 28 to 135 lense, which is very good for travelling and general stuff.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject: Re: Novice Question : Lenses
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Johan,

The Panasonic FZ7 is a 12x zoom. This unfortunately doesn't tell you anything about the reach of the lens. If you see an indication of 10x or 12x then that means that the longest reach of the lens is 10x or 12x longer than the short end. The Panasonic FZ7 uses a 36 - 432mm (35mm equivalent) which makes it a 12x zoom (432/36). This means that a 70-300 lens would be a '4x' lens, but that in itself doesn't mean anything.

The lens you own is much wider than the lens on the Panasonic, but the Panasonic lens can zoom much further. To get near to the reach of the Panasonic you'd need to buy an additional lens like the 70-300mm (which is actually a a 112-480mm on the 350D due to the extension factor, but let's not get too technical :wink: ).

M.

Post subject: The lens you own is much wider than the lens on the Panasoni
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:13 pm 

Thanks Madach.
I will invest in a 300mm.
If I buy a 1.4 teleconverter, would this then effectively make the 300mm a 420mm lens.
Would this be possible?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

yes, a 1.4x converter will effectively make it a 420mm. Keep in mind though that a teleconverter will reduce the image quality. Some lenses can handle a tele-converter better than others, I wouldn't recommend using one on the Canon 70-300.

I promissed not to get technical, but....you're using a 350D which means that you have a build-in 1.6x converter. This is caused by the sensor on the 350D as it is 1.6x smaller than a film frame on a conventional 35mm camera. The 70-300mm lens will become a 112-480mm on your 350D. If you add a 1.4x converter it will become a 157-672mm lens. You'll need a solid support to get any sharp images will that focal lenght.
You'll also lose autofocus if you're using the converter. The long end of the 300mm is f/5.6. By adding the 1.4x converter will lose you one stop so the lens will become f/8 at the long end.....and your 350D will not autofocus at f/8.

M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A couple of other pointers:
The human eye sees at approximately 50mm.
So instead of working in 10X or 4X or 12X, you need to consider the 'ACTUAL REACH' of a lens.

A 15-150 (if there was a lens like that) is a 10X zoom lens, because 15 goes into 150 ten times, but it's actually only a 3X zoom if you consider the human eye being at 50 (150 divided by 50 = 3X zoom). So the image at 150mm would be 3 times larger than you would see with normal eye. You have to ALWAYS keep in mind where the starting mm of a lens is. If it starts at a very small mm, then you'll usually end up with BIG times 'zoom' but not really ACTUAL zoom.
as another example. The canon 100-400 lens is only 4X zoom since 100 goes into 400 four times. But 50(Human Eye) goes into 400 eight times. So actual 'enlargement'/'zoom' is 8X

Now the 1.6 crop factor of the 350D/400D cams, makes it seem as if the picture is 1.6X larger.
So finally at 300 you'll have 6X zoom (Compared to human eye), Plus with the 1.6X factor, you'll reach 420mm, now you are at just over 8X 'zoom' (Compared to the human eye).

As a little foot note. the Canon 70-300 75-300 lense don't take 1.4X or 2X canon converters. Plus unless your 300mm is a prime at f/4, you'll loose autofocus combining with a 1.4X
Some of the other converters do combine with these lense, like kenko converters etc. but then autofocus becomes REAL slow.

What is your budget for a lens, then we can maybe suggest the best option with the most reach for you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm 

Thank You Nightowl,
Your explanation was simple enough for me to understand.
I had a look at a local Camera shop today.
They showed me 2 lenses.
Both 300mm, but the one was a Sigma F4-5.6 GD Macro, and the other was a Canon, with similar specs.

The Sigma was 2K, and the Canon a little more, but the guy recommended that I should rather get the Sigma.
I am now back at the forum, to get your opinions, and will base my decision on what I get from you guys.

Post subject: lenses are the key to success!
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 am 

Invest wisely!!
As I always say, the lenses are the investment, the bodies are the cost!

any wide ranging zoom is going to be inferior to a prime. This is a sad fact of photographic life.

A 300mm lens will be a nice addition to a 350D for sure. Longer is better, but the budget goes up exponentially. Another option is to go for something like Sigma's 50-500 lens. This is "reasonably" priced, and if you can test it in advance (On a Tripod in the store), you can get some great copies.

I use a 300/2.8 for my "Zoo" and close around birding shots.

500/4's for Sao and I to do any serious Safari-ing.

I can hardly wait for the 800/5.6 to come out. This will be fun!

I am hoping to be in Kruger in April. If anyone is there and sees us driving about with our yellow ribbon. Always happy to let fellow photographers play with some gear.

The photography system you're building is going to get you well started. Beware, it is addictive!! Also, don't always discount a cheaper Sigma lens. They have a great history in this area, and when starting up, you can get more lens bang for your buck, and more lenses. Just my opinion. Also, a 400/5.6 is a nice item... decisions decisions!!

Rob

Here's a picture of us on a Bridge in Kruger.
Ollie (Another forum colleague) in the car behind the landrover and my sister and her husband in the back wagon sporting my old 400/4 DO lens)

http://www.1ds.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re the sigma 70-300 .

Beware here, as there are two versions .

There is a APO version and a regular version that is not marked APO .
The apo can be recognised by the red ring around the barrel, and of course the APO labelling .
The APO version is about 5 times better than the cheaper version, and it in fact only costs about R800 more which is not a lot for the extra optical quality .
I have had both versions and the APO is a really great little lens for just under 3K , with the semi macro feature pretty useful also .
Here is a shot taken with the 70-300 APO macro feature -

The non apo version is no where as clear .

Second up when comparing the apo version to the cannon -
The sigma has better optics than the 70-300 canon usm which costs a little more .
The sigma has the macro feature which the canon does not have so you can get closer to spiders etc .
The Canon however has a big advantage in that it focuses faster .

If your primary aim is birds, or even attempting to get shots of birds flying you will be better of with the canon, if not then the sigma is a great buy .

I agree with Lector - The Sigma stuff is pretty good in the commercial bracket(Ie less than R6K lenses) , and I find canon relies on its name rather than quality in the cheaper price ranges.
When talking pro stuff then original equipment is the only way to go however.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:50 pm 

I would go the Canon route as those lenses are made Specifically for your camera..rather buy once and be happy

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Agree with Peter. For reference user reviews of different lenses, have a look at www.fredmiranda.com/reviews.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I don't agree with you guys when it comes to the consumer line.
When speaking about a 3K lens then the sigma > the canon equivalent.
They have much more market share here and it benefits there product in this range.

I would not however go out and buy a sigma in the 20K plus bracket.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:34 am 

Thank you to all for the very usefull info.

Post subject: Help Please - New to photography - Help with Lenses
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:12 pm 

Hi all.

I am new to photography and i need some help with lenses.
I have noticed that all lenses use .mm units as there measurement.

What lens would give the the same zoom as 20x Optical zoom?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next