Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sound Recording
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have recently purchased a directional microphone to use with my video camera. I am not sure of the manufacturer but the box carries the National Geographic logo. It is fairly small consisting of a pistol grip containing the electronics, a small parabolic dish (similar to a satellite dish) about 30cm in diameter and an 8 times optical sight. The range is claimed at 300 feet (just under 100 meters). It has a built in memory chip to allow single session recording before downloading to another device such as a laptop.

Also included is a set of headphones whose output needs connecting to the camera, a job I need to do in the future before our next KNP trip. Once I have results I will post again.

Has anyone else had experience with this type of mic?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sounds fantastic (no pun intended) !

Wish you many super scoops.

I love my records , tapes and CD's of the animal and bird sounds and the more you know them the easier to find and ID them .

Mechanicaly I am a genius but electronics I shy away from but
I think you will somehow have to "stream" the recordings as quick as possible to a say for example magnetic tape , to later playback and edit . Logic tells me you need a lot of continuous recording to get the scoop .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:07 pm 
Presumably, you will just plug it into the camera's external mic. socket and attach it so it's pointing in the same direction as the camera. Does your video camera have manual gain control for the audio? If not, the earphones are not that much use as you won't be able to adjust the audio input. You will hear any extraneous noise and you maybe able to compensate for this by moving the mic. If you need any help on suitable brackets let me know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Awesome, glad someone's brought this up.

I'm very keen on (the idea of) sound recording in the bush but haven't explored it properly yet. Sorry, so I may not yet have anything new to add to this thread.

When I can afford one, I'm going to pick myself up one of the hand-held palm-top trackers. The software's improving all of the time & I'm quite keen to get a mic similar to what's been described here & record straight onto the palm-top.

Anyway, I look forward to any further info appearing here (and I'll let you know if and when I ever get to realise this dream)

- Limpopo Tented Camp 3 to 5 Jan
- Leokwe 6 to 7 Jan

Post subject: Interesting Equipment
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:38 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

They had a piece of equipment that you could purchase in the shops to listen to the sounds of the animals. Don't ask what they call it, but it works like a radar satellite. You aim and picks up all the sounds that you can listen through head phones, at R510,00 I think it's quite reasonable. Did not buy it though. Maybe next time. :lol: