Skip to Content

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby moobox » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:04 pm

People! I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Canon 70D. And then this morning I took a look at DPReview again and saw the latest announcement by Samsung. ... =title_0_4

A bridge camera. Now, I own a Sony bridge camera but this looks a bit different. I will certainly wait to see more precise specifications on it's capabilities. But not sure what kind of photographer I really want to be so this may be the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Re: Samsung

Unread postby GRYSBOK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Your last sentence says it all. You need to decide what type of photographer you want to be. If you only want pictures without a concern for quality then you can buy about anything that you can afford. If it is quality you are after and want to be serious about your photography then the 70D is really what you want.

Amongst other things, picture quality depends on pixel density and size. Consider the following technical aspects: the 16MP of the Samsung is squeezed into a sensor area of about 28 sq mm whilst the sensor area of the 70D is about 337 sq mm. A full size sensor - such as the 5D and 6D- has a sensor area of about 864 sq mm. This can make a big difference to picture quality and of course to the price of the camera. The 70D IMHO will also afford you much more flexibility when it comes to lens choices. In the end its horses for courses. You first need to decide what type of photographer you want to be.

Happy hunting.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”