Skip to Content

Take Note

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
PRWIN

Take Note

Unread postby PRWIN » Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 am

Europe has passed a new law on Orphaned works. In a nutshell, Any image that is found on the internet without metadata stating the images owner and copywrite or watermarked so that the owner can easily be identified and contacted are now considered orphaned works and thereby free to be used by anyone in any way they wish, including commercially.
Social media sites automatically strip your metadata from images (presumably so the images are smaller) however, this leaves them free for the taking unless strongly watermarked. Read more here.
http://www.naturalexposures.com/corkboa ... instagra...
This includes your personal photographs of family and friends.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Take Note

Unread postby lion queen » Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

PRWIN, not good news!!!

Your link is however not working........."404 error not found" message.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imax » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Thank PRWIN,

Not good news, but also leads to many questions. this is a UK law, but aplies to a global web applications. Does this give UK companies the rights to photos placed by people in other countries where more stringent rights do exist?

The fact is that placing your pics on the web remains open to pilfering, and in most cases regardless of law the photographer will be none the wiser unless seeing his pic being used elsewhere. Website linking to images are very difficult to stop, but at least one can discourage printed usage by posting smaller lower resolution pics, especially making sure that the photos Dpi setting are beloww 200, if not 150, which renderes it useless for printing, but still good enough for most screens.

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby timbo » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 am

Another reason why I resize my images to 800- 1200pixel on the longest side, 72dpi which is perfect for screen but cannot be used for print and have a watermark on anything I post up

Sad news
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”