Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Using filters
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg, due you use any filters? Could you specify which ones? I have ordered an 81b warming filter. Any specific do's and don'ts?

Regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Bwana,

I've often thought a warming filter would be a damn cool thing to use if one came across something like a leopard in the golden glow of early morning sun- just to enhance the effect. However, I've only ever used them for portraits myself.

In the bush I usually only use 2 filters - a polariser (especially on wide angle shots including sky/water reflections) and a UV filter, simply to protect my lenses as filters are far cheaper to replace. I once saw an awesome shot of a deer in the UK, where the photographer used a "warming polariser". If you ever find such a thing on sale, please let me know!

A lot of people warn against filters for a couple of reasons. Firstly, sometimes when it's early/late, you just can't afford the light they steal (UV's aren't nearly as bad as PL's). Also, especially if you don't buy good ones, they can degrade the image. Not being a millionaire I can't afford to smash a lens though, so I usually have at least the UV protecting :roll: :) .

There are a few decent makes out there, and multicoated is always a good idea. Hoya is about as cheap as you can go and still get a nice filter. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Hoya circular polarisers have always given me stunning results.

Oh yes - neutral density filters. These are very cool, as they slow down the light coming in without affecting the colour. Here's an example:

(before you ask, yes, eventually that piece of grass annoyed me enough that I cloned it out for sale. We could argue ethics all day, but I'd rather clone it out than break and kill the piece of grass... probably a silly female thing :lol: )

Anyway, that shot was taken in bright summer sunlight near Sabie in the Lowveld. I wanted the silky effect with the water, but was using my first digital, the Sony F707. It's lowest ISO is 100 and it's smallest aperture a mere f8, so I needed to slow things down further in order to get a longer shutter speed. I achieved this by placing a Hoya circ polariser (note, linear polarisers are not recommended for digital) on the lens, and stacking an 8x (adds 3 stops) Hoya neutral density(ND) filter on top of that. It's unfortunate I can't show you an 8x10 print - they are stunning! And that with a really tiny sensor (5MP, but the physical sensor size is very small) and two filters in front of the lens. So much for image degradation... :)

You also get split ND filters. These are very cool for those times when the sky is bright and the foreground dark. They are usually either 1/3 or 1/2 ND and the rest of the filter is clear. You also get them in varying density's for varying light conditions. The clear bit fades gradually into the ND bit, and you place this fading around the area of the horizon.

I've often thought it would be damn cool to get a solar eclipse filter (maybe stack two?) and take a shot during the day with the clouds moving across the sky - maybe for a couple of hours. So far all my experiments like this have been at night, but I'm thinking such filters will probably be on my birthday wishlist this year so I can give it a bash!

I hope that helps :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Click here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry thanks for the reply, stunning photo, I think I should get a UV Filter soon.

regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
Click here

Oh my.... I feel my birthday wishlist may have just taken a change! *drool*

Post subject: Polarising filters
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

Hope I got the heading right.

I priced the circular poluriser for the Sigma 170-500 lens this week-end. I was quite surprised (more shocked) at the prices.

R900 - R1500.

This is apparently because they don't make so many of this size.

The 70-300mm lens price is R240-R300.

Any comments on this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Supply and demand I think - isn't the one you want about an 88mm thread? Filters with more common thread sizes (55 - 72mm say) will always be cheaper. Also, they take less glass for the manufacturing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:11 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Bit of good news, if you scan in your photo's you have a polariser waiting for you... Photoshop!

You use a polariser to give the clouds etc extra colour and definition. When you're down and out and haven't got one you can apply the same effect later on, scan the photo, pull it into Photoshop, and Go!
Simply put you make a mask which covers your lower horizon (those leopards under trees, the trees themselves etc). You do the bit of sharpening and colour correction, then invert the mask (thus selecting the sky). There you do the colour correction, sharpening etc bit again et voila! One polarised photo.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg wrote:

BTW - a friend of mine at work bought a 300D yesterday with the kit lens. Any words of advice for him? [/edit]

Yes, sell it and get a 350D :P

No seriously now, tell your friend to start saving for this:

Extended battery grip with all buttons and the wheel on the grip itself (also aesthetically more proffesional but more importantly adding much needed weight for stability purposes-supposedly dampens mirror movement when exposing too),

and this:

Extended lithium ion battery (above grip uses the std batttery in conjunction with this extended battery - double the battery life!)

and this:

Memory cards, memory cards, memory cards

and then definately something like this:

A more versatile lens (nuff said).

Other than that, is it new? If not and the warranty period has passed then tell him to go here

regards

bwana

Last edited by bwana on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

LOL - Bwana - such a male!

I didn't mean what should he buy for the thing! :lol: :lol:

One thing - if he gets the grip will he then have a dedicated dial for the shutter and another for the aperture? Also, is there a certain firmware version the hack works on? I assume he'll have the latest as he's just bought it (should we be discussing h@cks on the SANparks site? :? )

I'm off to watch a docu on predators, including wilddog and how they cope during a drought in Mala Mala - w00t! Have a great evening! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg wrote:
LOL - Bwana - such a male!

I didn't mean what should he buy for the thing! :lol: :lol:

One thing - if he gets the grip will he then have a dedicated dial for the shutter and another for the aperture? Also, is there a certain firmware version the hack works on? I assume he'll have the latest as he's just bought it (should we be discussing h@cks on the SANparks site? :? )

I'm off to watch a docu on predators, including wilddog and how they cope during a drought in Mala Mala - w00t! Have a great evening! :D

Discussing hacks? You must be confused! :lol:

Its not a hack in the sense that it is illegal as it does not infringe on Canon's rights whatsover however it will render you warranty useless :lol:
About the seperate wheel, no, you have to hold the av button in to adjust the aperture. It will take some getting used to, but now its second nature for me. You get used to it quickly. By rotating the wheel with my pointing finger and resting my thumb on the AV button and then pressing it in when needid, I adjust shutter and aperture easily, without having to move a finger really.

regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
By rotating the wheel with my pointing finger and resting my thumb on the AV button and then pressing it in when needid, I adjust shutter and aperture easily, without having to move a finger really.

regards
bwana

Now that's the sort of tip I was looking for - thanks, I'll let him know :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:16 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Grips. Great invention. It is another investment, but one he will never regret.

If you want to make a pic in portraitmode you have the second shutterbutton where you want it: on top. This will help prevent against photo's which have a tilt to the left or right.
Way longer batterylife, and maybe even faster shooting.
And as Bwana says, more weight, thus better stability.

What Bwana forgot to mention is that when attacked by a lion throwing a cam with a grip is more likely to stun the lion than without.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
Grips. Great invention. It is another investment, but one he will never regret.

What Bwana forgot to mention is that when attacked by a lion throwing a cam with a grip is more likely to stun the lion than without.

:lol: :lol:

regards

bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:

LOL. Actually, for this you want one of the old '70s or '80s models of camera's. I was trying to replace my stolen 1985 Ricoh KR-5 Super and found one on EBay. Unfortunately it was in terrible condition, so we decided to see how much punishment it could take.

Eventually, once the wall we were smashing it against in the car park started to show signs of real damage, we decided to stop. The body is still completely in tact. Some of the plastic bits are twisted, and the mirror inside is still there but cracked.

I do believe anyone trying to mug me with the 1978 Ricoh XR-1 I eventually replaced it with will end up with such a hole in his head that it would probably not be repairable :lol: