Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Photography courses & reputable shops
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:57 am 

Hi all! :yaya:

Where to begin oh where to begin?!!

Fisrtly, I apologise if there is another thread on this, but I could not find one using the 'search' function.

I am a very limited photographer to start off with. I enjoy it when I get a photo 'spot on' and crisp, but unfortunately this operator only gets lucky 1/10 times. The rest are just about average.
I always wanted to start off right and learn everything there is to know before I go off and buy stuff that I cannot use to its full potential.
That said, I was fortunate to get a nice 'incentive' at work which made it possible for me to get a Nikon D90 when I visited the UK. I knew at the time this DSLR was way above my knowledge and ability, but I am very keen to get to know it and use it to its full potential.

Before I go on, I have the Nikon D90 with a AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED lens.

I have taken the time to go through the manual and practised the basic function in the Kruger with it.
To my realization I immediately saw that I will need to get a way bigger lens. :twisted:

So before I go off and rob a bank, I would like to get know all the 'lingo' and terminology etc etc. and get 'streetwise'. It doesn't help buying stuff I you don't even know WHAT you are buying!!

So my question(s):
1. What place/person would you recommend to go for proper photography lessons, i.e. value for money? I would like to get the best out of the D90. I stay in Pretoria...
2. When the day comes to get my lenses, converters etc, which place would you recommend best value for money and good service?

My main objective is to take wildlife photos, I spend quite a bit of time in the Kruger each year and I get :mrgreen: looking at everybody's awesome photos!

As I said, I would first like to get schooled properly before I take out the big bucks and use my equipment to its full potential.

Thank you in advance! :wink:

SD

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Post subject: Re: Photography courses & reputable shops
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi SD, have you checked out www.outdoorphoto.co.za. You will get a lot of help there, as well as where to get photo equipment and courses.

In Johannesburg I know of Kameraz in Rosebank for equipment and Camerastuff in Saxonwold, the former offers both new and second hand equipment, the latter offers regular courses, and also equipment.

And not to worry about the 1/10 ratio-we are/were all there. And expect a slow move to 2/10. :P

If you need a partner in crime for that bank operation, let me know :lol: Just remember this is the KNP forum-there is such a concept as the "lions share" :lol:

Post subject: Re: Photography courses & reputable shops
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm 

Thank you Noel! :thumbs_up:

I will have a look at the sites, thank you. The reason for me posting is that there are so many people on the internet claiming to be pro photographers (which are far from it) and so many of them give courses and at the end of the day you wasted your time and money. You just don't know who is safe and who is not...

I am hoping to hear from some mites which had personally attended a good course with someone in the area that he would recommend without hesitation.

I think when it comes to the share, I will be the hungriest lion in there! :D

I don't care how long it takes, as long as I can see improvement and know/understand what I am doing right and wrong I will be an even happier camper! :thumbs_up:

In the meantime, its me and my D90 playing around and getting to know it a bit better, even though I am a bit in the dark.. :slap: :tongue:

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane