Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How do I get to see Nikon RAW photos on "my pictures".
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My wife has a Nikon D90 and we decided to take photos in RAW format on our recent visit to KNP. We always used to take photos in JPEG format but we were told that RAW format is far more versatile. We have now downloaded the photos from the camera via Nikon Transfer to our computer. Once downloaded we can normally go to My Pictures and see the photos but now all we see are little blocks with "thingies" inside them. Under the photo it gived the photo number i.e. DCS 294 - NEF.

Please advise as to how we can get to see the photos on My Pictures so that we can start editing the photos and start our T.R.

Thanks very much for any help.

Richard and Joan.

Post subject: Re: How do I get to see Nikon RAW photos on "my pictures".
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Lucky that I saw this news flash past me and I sort of stored it in mind.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=26829
You do need Windows 7 for it though.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:32 pm 

There is a free download called Faststone (Shareware) that is a raw file display and has some minor processing facilities. It's uptodate with most new cameras included and certainly covers the D90.

Best of luck

Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 am 

With your Nikon D90 you would have received software called: ViewNX - works great for organising your photos, grading them etc. Then, go on and buy CaptureNX to edit those RAW files, another brilliant piece of software. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 am 

I am a Canon user and all the software required to process RAW files is provided on the CD/DVD disks that come with the camera, and I am sure that Nikon does the same. All software is also available as free downloads from the Canon web site, again Nikon may well be the same.

I only shot Raw images for the flexibility that they offer. Raw images capture a far wider range of tonal values than JPEG's, especially in shadow areas. I find adjusting exposure in RAW is very easy. Of course RAW files are far larger than JPEG's because of the additional information they contain.

As RAW images ignore image processing provided by the camera the initial RAW image can look a little soft and flat compared to a JPEG and will require some degree of post processing. Once the RAW image has been processed it must be saved in a different format, TIF or JPEG for example. A RAW file cannot be changed in much the same way as a film negative cannot be changed.

Jim

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:53 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

R&J switched to using RAW, good move, but they are used to seeing previews of the photos in explorer. As RAW is raw data that won't happen, no matter which software you install. Windows is the one that should be able to create the previews. And unless they run Win7 that won't happen.

Now for them to find out that indeed they need a program to work with the raw files, like Aperture or Lightroom. (The latter is my favourite.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 am 

DuQues wrote:
R&J switched to using RAW, good move, but they are used to seeing previews of the photos in explorer. As RAW is raw data that won't happen, no matter which software you install. Windows is the one that should be able to create the previews. And unless they run Win7 that won't happen.

Now for them to find out that indeed they need a program to work with the raw files, like Aperture or Lightroom. (The latter is my favourite.)

I am not a Nikon user however I suspect if R&J install this codec

http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

from Nikon they should have the same functionality as before (not sure if displaying thumbnails in explorer is supported). This seems to support from xp to win 7

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Du Ques, wmahon465, Switchback and JimS - Thank you very much for all this info but unforunately we only have Windows XP Professional and are therefore unable to download all the programmes you mention.

mikef - Thank you for the link which I have downloaded. I can now see the photos in "My Pictures" however I cannot open them to see them as full page.

It would seem my only option now is to convert the NEF images to JPEG and then enhancing them via Flickr. I have tried using the convert option under ViewNX and I follow the instructions on the pop up and I get a message saying "converting image" but when it is finished I cannot see the JPEG image anywhere. :wall: This is getting so frustrating.

Can anyone help please.

Kind Regards,

R and J.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:43 pm 

Welcome to the land of Raw. Did you not get any disk with the Camera. I can e-mail you a program ,but the only problem it wont do anything to the photo as if you did shot in jpeg, All it would do is convert it to JPEG. Now my question is why. I keep all my photo,s in raw and convert only the ones I want to JPEG through adobe photoshop. Pm me with your e-mail address if you want it.

It's not copyrighted as its just a converter

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:45 pm 

Sorry my link did not solve your problem. Another option to try is the following Microsoft download:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=8802

Once again I have not tested it myself so I am not sure if it will work. I think it is not as current and might not support the D90.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

steamtrainfan wrote:
It would seem my only option now is to convert the NEF images to JPEG and then enhancing them via Flickr.

Actually, that is not the way to go.

Install Lightroom, make a new catalogue, and import the photos.
Then it is easy going. Straighten horizons, remove dust, crop if needed, and maybe nudge Clarity and Vibrance a bit (no more than 10!). Also set up your watermarking.
The ones you want to publish to Flickr you mark with for instance a red flag.
Now in the Publish services setup the one for Flickr.
Filter for red flag only,and publish to Flickr.
Done!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PRWIN - Thanks for your response. I am going to have a look for another disc besides the Nikon Transer and ViewNX which I have downloaded. I will send you a PM if I get stuck. Thank you for being so willing to share.

mikef - Please, no apologies needed. I really appreciate you and all the good folk trying to assist me. The microsoft link you suggest will only work with Windows 7 and I only have Windows XP.

Du Ques - Thanks for this advice. Must I go out and buy Lightroom or can I get it from Google?

The reason we converted to shooting in RAW was that we were told that if you made a slip up in your photo it is much easier to rectify in RAW than in JPEG. But now I see that I do not have the NIKON programme for making all these adjustments to a RAW photo.

I must go and look for another NIKON disc that would/should have come with the camera.

Thank you everybody for all the advice and help. We are sure that at the end of the dau we are going to win.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

steamtrainfan wrote:
Du Ques - Thanks for this advice. Must I go out and buy Lightroom or can I get it from Google?

The reason we converted to shooting in RAW was that we were told that if you made a slip up in your photo it is much easier to rectify in RAW than in JPEG. But now I see that I do not have the NIKON programme for making all these adjustments to a RAW photo.

Check your PM with some information.

The move to RAW was a good one. You can indeed correct things you should have set up better in the field, especially exposure. Cameras are good at calculating exposures, but sometimes a light or dark bit can throw them off. With RAW you can rescue that. Well, up to a point of course.
You are also shooting at the highest resolution possible. Don't forget that JPEG compression is a lossy compression! (Meaning it throws away info!)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:08 pm 

Actually the Microsoft link I provided is to an older Powertoy that does work with XP - just not sure if the D90 is supported.

Quote:
Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Du Ques - Thank you so much - have received your P.M.

mikef - Thanks a mill - I will try that link then.