SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stark has 9 months to...
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

...learn how to take photographs. :)

First off, I love the photo's on this forum. The talent and ability displayed is amazing. :)

I've also come to the realization that you all speak another language compared to the point-mash button-shoot style I've become accustomed to. :) And while I have an eye for what I want to capture in a photo, my understanding and ability of how to do it are behind my ambition.

I arrive in KNP on 28 May, 2012, giving me just over 9 months to do the following:

1) improve my skills as a photographer

2) improve my photography equipment

:cam: I've signed up for a digital photography course via the local university here, and plan on using my Olympus SP-570 UZ to get an understanding of fine photography. I think this would make more sense then buying a new camera and equipment.

Or do you all think I should buy a new camera first so that I can get more practice done? :hmz: I will be taking the Olympus along as a backup, but I want a better camera/lens as my primary. (I have no clue what camera/lens to buy, either)

I appreciate any opinions or insight you all could share. :cam:

Post subject: Re: Stark has 9 months to...
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Okay, to save a lot of people searching what that Olympus is, click here.
Nice bit: 20x optical zoom (equivalent to 26-520mm*).

So Stark, I would definitely encourage you to use that camera to practice, as much as possible actually.
It does have a drawback though. Equivalent to 500mm will make you want a very expensive lens as you are used to that long reach!

There are a couple of things you should start with:
- f-stops. You need to know all about them.
- the rule of thirds. (And how to ignore it. ;) )

Also forget about Scene modes. For the moment there are only two modes to use: Aperture and Shutter Priority. And make sure you are using RAW, not jpeg. Lightroom would be a great program to have handy, do you have that?

And then the big question, do you have a Kruger-like place nearby? Like Suikerbosrand or Rietvlei? Or Walter Sisulu botanical gardens to name a few? Edit: :slap: Arizona, Duco you're asleep! :slap: Well, something like it...
You'll need it for practice.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm 
Stark, these people are going to drive you and your bank account up the wall...

Just buy what everyone buys, and remember, a beer calms the nerves when taking a shot!

The Olympus sounds fine! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

.... prepare for the arrival of a lil' treasure? Image

Well, that's what I thought when I saw the heading. :twisted: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: ELZET!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Maybe I should have named the subject in a better way... :tongue:

RP. Bah. I need a new expensive hobby. :thumbs_up: Although with lens prices I may have to sell a kidney, or a Starkling or two.

DQ...oh no! That was one of the things I was hoping to get more of...quality zoom. I use a 1.7x telephoto converter lens now, giving me fantastic reach. (it's a pain to take on and off the camera, though)
I don't have lightroom, but I do understand that software usage will be part of my university course. And I have plenty of places to practice down here, be it the actual desert, our zoo, sporting events, etc. Now...I'm off to figure out what f-stops are and the rule of thirds.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 pm 
Good thing Mrs Stark does not appear to read here, both biologically and financially speaking! :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

What an evocative heading for a thread .... guaranteed to pull a lot of curious mites, like me :slap:
:lol: :lol: :thumbs_up:

And the usual suspects have started posting already 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :whistle: :whistle:

Stark wrote:
Now...I'm off to figure out what f-stops are and the rule of thirds.

In SA that 'f-stop' means a speeding fine/request for a bribe. :twisted: :lol: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 am 

You mean visiting SA isn't an expensive hobby?

Anyway. Practice, practice, practice. Then go and practice some more. Really get to know everything that your camera can do.

Have a look at some photography review sites, the comments will help, especially with composition. Ones I used to like was TrekEarth and it's sister site TrekNature. You can set your profile up so you get emails with links to the day's postings from your choice of countries.

Another option is the dpreview forums, you can get lots of information from just reading the postings. The Canon forums used to be quite active, not sure about the others though. Also a lot of the photo magazines have forums. PhotoRadar is one but I don't know very much else about it.

I know Canon occasionally send me emails linking to tutorials so I'm sure other manufacturer's will do so as well, if you register your product with them.

Do you need a new camera? I get the impression you want one and in my experience that means you aren't quite happy with the one you have so I'd say you will end up getting one.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elzet wrote:
.... prepare for the arrival of a lil' treasure? Image

Well, that's what I thought when I saw the heading. :twisted: :tongue:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Elzet I also thought that at the heading Image
ImageImageImage

Stark Ive got to say I agree with you though heck I also see all of these beautifull pics daily and also wish I could take pics like that so you are not alone lmao I feel like a stupid amateur half the times hahahahah :cam: :cam: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:09 am 

Hi Stark;

Don't sell the kids - just yet anyway :naughty:

The Olympus is an 'OK' piece of kit at 'your' stage of this learning process. It was a 'leader' in it's day, but is now way behind the technology curve. Use that while you're getting to grips with the theory; then review what you might want or need as you progress through your course.

But - beware - the more you learn - the more you will want to spend those hard-earned $$$$ on kit :dance: (I always think of the loyalty points on the CC - never the 'cost' :D )

On a 'sensible' note; alongside the course, if you're serious about learning, join a good camera/photography club in your area. Arizona is full of them; you have some of the best light in the world for photography... AZ comes a very close second to South Africa on our favourites list. There's good wildlife to be had, good birding, great scenery and great flora to be found... All excellent practice for your trip to KNP...

Enjoy the next 9 months...

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SL :lol: :twisted:

Stark, the best pictures ever is not those that we/I have captured on film, but those that I have captured and engraved in my brain and which will accompany me to my grave. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: But good for you for getting out there and :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam: away!

Practise makes perfect. Same applies to pregnancies. :thumbs_up: :tongue: