Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What are your top 5 tips for a first time Kruger shooter
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome to the forum Ima1016 :D

I have a Canon 100-400... it's a minimum... after me :thumbs_up:

more than 2 months in Kruger

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:33 pm 

Thanks for all the input everyone. Now I am wondering if a 70-200 f2.8 IS L with a 2X extender would be better... That way, I can go to 400 mm with f4. I know if is a bigger and heavier lens - what do you think? Remember, I am renting and the price is about the same either way (this option or the 100-400).

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm 

Doesn't a 2x extender take off 2 stops, so you'd get 5.6?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:37 pm 

Oops - you're right. At first I was looking at the 1.4X extender. I guess it's a wash then :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm 

1. A crop camera is a better choice for wildlife than full frame.

2. Buy a zoom lens. Much more versetile than a fixed

3. Shoot in AV mode. F5.6 for a 1.6 crop. Set it and foreget it. You should develop a feeling for the depth of field. Almost alwys good enough depth of field in any situation.

4. ISO 320 will do for most situations but the most dimmest light with F5.6 You will develop a feeling when to up the iso. I seldomly need an ISO higher than 640 @ F5.6 or a F lower than 5.6 but this will happen. Your camera should be set on 320. Use the ISO to up the Tv. I dont go higher than 800. After that I lower the F stop.

5. A 70-200 mm is good for most close encounters in the Kruger but it is not for birds and further distances.

6. Buy the sharpest lens you can put your hands on. Its worth it. Currently the kings of sharpness 70-200mm zooms of canon are the 70-200mm F4 IS USM (R12000) and the 70-200 F2.8 IS USM MKII (R23000). Im exteamly happy with my F4IS USM. Lightweight and it perform flawlesly in any situation with fantastic sharpness. Can do with bigger but currently no sharp enough zoom from Canon for me. (I admit I am a bit strict on this)

7. Tv = focal length is a bit wanting even for a 10mp 1.6 crop camera. Even more so for a 20mp full frame camera. I need at least 2x that. The more the better. Im starting to feel happy with a Tv of 1/600sec with my 200mm zoom

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:22 pm 

Hi vanderw,

I almost always shoot via Aperture Priority, which basic means your shutter speed is controlled by available light and/or ISO, so if theres plenty of light available you can shoot with low ISO, if the lights poor then you need to maintain your shutter speed by increasing ISO. You're better off having a slightly more noisy image (which can usually be improved later) that is usable, than a noise free image that has motion blur which would have to be deleted...

Thats my way of taking photos, others may have different methods....

Regards....Andy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm 

For what it's worth here are my top tips,

Pick your location to match the light. I love Sunset Dam (Lower Sabie) early in the morning, Lake Panic in the afternoon, Ngirivana Dam (near Satara) in the afternoon. I feel no matter how good the subject the high contrast lighting on a sunny day in Kruger can ruin any pic. I only tend to drive around on overcast days when the light is much kinder, sunny days finds me where the light is right and I stay there.

Watch the background, bright backgrounds can fool the camera exposure, try and position the subject against a dark background, easier said than done.

Long lenses, 400/500mm, have very small depth of field when the subject is close so adjust the f stop accordingly. Google depth of field for some DOF calculators. There are several DOF apps for iPod.

I try and fill at least 50% of the pic with the subject. Kingfishers at 20 metres are fun to photograph but don't make for good pics.

Shoot RAW for more options when post processing, and keep an eye on the camera histogram to make sure that highlights are not being clipped.

I made a very simple wooden platform that fits over the car window and gives me a 35 x 35 cm platform for my over size bean bag. A very solid platform for a big lens with a remote release.

That's six tips, I never could count.

Jim

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 pm 

1st tip is so important that it gets 1st 2nd and 3rd place!!!!! :rtm:

My 1st----3rd ~ tips, get a big double been bag, one with 2 separate liners inside that fits over the car window when raised 4-5cm. It will even work with the window raised half way or more though not quite so steady.

wildlifewatchingsupplies make one that’s just right and not too heavy to pull into the car when speeders make dust!

4th tip ~ 24-105 is perfect for those “Battling Lions with Lebombo Mountains in the background” shots. :wink: The wider view including the animal’s surroundings is often more interesting than the sooper-close-up!!

5th tip ~ 100-400 is the best lens for you given your starting point. To do better you would need to start again with the classic 17-40ish + 70-200 + a big prime 300, up to 800 depending on which bank you rob! You find that a lot of people who start out with a 100-400, just can’t bring themselves to sell it, even when they have a big prime.

It’s just too versatile.

Have a great time, :thumbs_up:

UKB

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:01 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

vanderw wrote:
Hi DuQues

How does the f-stop influence this rule regarding the 1.6?

If I have a 300mm and I use 1.6 = 480mm so my shutter speed is 1/500 yes? What is the best f-stop for this setting or does it depend on the light conditions etc?

Dare I bring ISO into this?

Whoops, missed that question. :redface:
Yes, 1/500 would be the one to go for then. Or faster of course, depending on the light.

The best f-stop depends on what you photograph. If it's an animal you want without background you open up the lens (f/4 if you can) but if it's a landscape it'll be f/16 so the background is sharp all the way.

You can up the ISO to get the speed you need (don't forget to switch it down later!) but first see reviews of your camera. If it can go up to say 3200 ISO I'm betting that at 800 ISO you'll already get grainy photos. Just read the review about high ISO, and do a few test shots. Then memorise what the max will be in the field.
But... Better a grainy photo of an Aardvark on a nightdrive than none at all. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c