SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Canon 18 - 135 lens
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have a Sigma 150 -500 and the standard Canon 18 - 55 lenses.

I would love to buy the Canon 18 - 135 lens. Do anyone have this lens? Could anyone tell me if this is a good buy.

I would love to bridge the opening between my two lenses, without changing lenses every time I want to take a photo of the elephant right next to the road or wishing that the 55 had a bit more reach........

Post subject: Re: Canon 18 - 135 lens
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's a good lens, have a look here and here for instance.

Quote:
The high performance standard zoom lens
The high-quality EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is equivalent to a 24-136mm focal length lens (5.6x standard zoom). Designed for EOS EF-S mount bodies the lens covers wide angle and portrait focal ranges. It also offers a 4-stop Image Stabilizer as well as a close focusing distance of just 0.35m throughout the zoom range.

Versatile super zoom lens
The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a powerful all-in-one lens for EOS EF-S mount bodies. It features a 4-stop Image Stabilizer and a 7.5x super zoom range (approx. 29-216mm equivalent focal length). The lens covers a wide range of focal lengths with a 0.45m minimum focusing distance. A general-purpose zoom, it is ideal for photographers looking to make the step up from a standard kit lens.

Easy-to-use impressive image quality
Both lenses offer great low-light performance due to the inclusion of a 4-stop Image Stabilizer that automatically detects panning and tripods, responding accordingly to help photographers take steady shots in any situation. The addition of ultra low dispersion (UD) lenses and aspherical lens elements - as well as lens coatings optimised to combat ghosting and flare - ensure high quality throughout. Both products also include a circular aperture for beautiful background blur (bokeh).

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi DuQues,

Thanx so much. I'll read through the reviews and then make my decision. As long as the photos are sharp I'm happy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
Hi Lion Queen

Just curious... Did you end up getting the 18-135mm? And if so are you happy with the results? If not what did you rather decide on?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Bushbaby30.............yes bought the canon 18-135 and combined it with the canon7D............it is a stunning lens for what I wanted to achieve.......................we went to Kruger end July and I used it for all the "bigger" game and the odd landscapes (not my strong point).............no need to change lenses any more.............just swapped cameras............first rule SO made when we entered was only one camera could be used by me at one stage!!!! :rtm: :rtm: :wall: :wall: ..............can you think how awesome it would have been if I could handle both cameras simultaneously!!! :doh: :doh: