Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Photo newbie - which SLR to buy
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:35 am 

HI Guys

I have been goign to knp since a kid, however am now in the market for a decent SLR, i have always had basic digital cameras and have always been dissapointed with my photos. I now want to buy a entry lever SLR, and have a budget of R5k. any suggestions, as i have been looking at the Canon eos 1000d bundle with a 18-55mm lens.

Thanks

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Post subject: Re: Photo newbie - which SLR to buy
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am 

You will need something that gives you a lot longer reach than the 18 - 55 mm lens too Figjam.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am 

I bought a d3100 for 6800 with a lowepro bag, 8gb sd card, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Which for me is a very good deal. Not sure how it compares to the eos 1000d. But if you can squeeze the extra few rand out, i will highly recommend this deal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm 

i kindda know that i would need a bigger lens, as the topic says, i wouldn't know where to begin with lens choice.

The nikon does sound decent, as newbie do i need to get the nikon with addtional lens, wont the canon suffice for the meantime.

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You need to ask yourself what you want to use the camera for mainly and if that is birds or wildlife then you will dissappointed with a camera you can take neither with!

Have you looked at buying second hand?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Each person will give you different advice so make sure you do proper research. Regarding the brand choice i would recommend that you go and actually feel, try the camera as the ergonomics only you can tell what you like.

The big issue will not be the body as in general over time you will replace, upgrade as technology improves. The most expensive area is good glass (lenses) and this with some talent will produce the results.

Accessories will also cost a fair amount but you can purchase these as your requirements change.

The last thing you want to do is to be unhappy with your brand as you will then always feel like changing which can be a very expensive and in most cases unnecessary expense.

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 am 

figjam wrote:
i kindda know that i would need a bigger lens, as the topic says, i wouldn't know where to begin with lens choice.

The nikon does sound decent, as newbie do i need to get the nikon with addtional lens, wont the canon suffice for the meantime.

The nikon d3100 has a onboard guide mode which helps newbies a lot. Also the d3100 comes with a free R1200 course as well. It also comes with two lenses, 18-55mm which is great for wide areas and protraits and a 55-200mm which has a decent range to start with as well. If you can squeeze a bit more out, this is great set as well NIKON D3100 18-55 VR + 55-300 VR + 8 GIG SD CARD + SLR BAG for 8499.

I bought this set as my first dslr and i am hooked on it. I have had mine for about 3 weeks and havent even gone anywhere to take decent photos but have taken 1500 around the house and at friends houses.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 am 

What about this, Canon EOS 500D with Canon 75-300mm

I will be using the camera for both but slightly favouring wildlife.

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That will work, but remember that the lens is all important. If you have the funds for a better lens go for it.
Or spend less on the camera and more on the lens.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:50 pm 

i have visited a couple stores, and will be heading through to foto digital world in PTA, has anyone bought from them and can anyone rate their after sales service.

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:06 pm 

Have a look at http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za and http://www.arrowphoto.co.za (where i got my gear)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm 

Hi Figjam,
Cameras are personal, but, you asked for it so here goes...... I have just bought the nikon D3100

kit comprising of standard 35mm 1.8 lens,a 18-55 and a 55- 300mm lens...

with it came a driver's license course valued at R1200.00 and excellent 8 x 40 binocs ...the price an

overdraft breaking R10 000.00

The quandry is always will the lens(or the money) be big/good enough...... the small digital cameras

spoil us with their optical zoom. We have just been away to Giants Castle to test drive the camera

or lens and I can tell you for birds(all 2 of them that we saw) it is too short and fringes for larger

animals...the mountains were fine... rememeber your real photography will now take place on your

computer and what editing system you use ... now about that computer......................$$$$$$$

Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hi Figjam,

Yes, a camera is like a personal affair. I bought myselg the Canon 550D package for R12 000 at Makro. I am incredibly happy, but agtee that a minimum of 300mm (400mm even better) lens is required for wildlife pholtography.

Taking my camera for a first fieldtrip next week.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:17 pm 

Hi Figjam

Photography is such an excellent hobby and a way to produce art! How wonderful that we can always learn from other photographers. There are some really nice articles on this site regarding the camera you want to buy. You can go to thombesafri (dot) com and visit the forum for more. If you click on the recent posts you will find it there.
There is another interesting article about lenses - fixed aperture or variable apertures and what to look for when buying.

I'm sure you'll find this very helpfull!
I also have a Nikon D300 S and absolutely love it. I use a 70 - 200mm f2.8 (not even worth putting on for wildlife - you need at least a 300mm and then you can add a converter with that). I also have a 18mm - 200mm which is not a pro lens as this one does not have a fixed aperture. However it is lightweight, a sharp as nothing else I've ever seen and really well priced!

With a budget of R5000 I would reccommend the Nikon D51000

Good luck and enjoy!