Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ideas for new Canon Dslr camera.
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 am 

Hi guys

i am looking for some advice, i am a game ranger in thornybush in the greater kruger park and at the moment have a Canon 1000d and 70-300mm lens.

I am starting to get the itch to go a bit bigger and better, can anyone give me some advice on what i should be looking at? with both the body and lenses, i just want to get a idea so i can start putting some money aside.

your help will be great!!

Post subject: Re: Ideas for new Canon Dslr camera.
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 am 

Welcome to the forum Gaz Tau.

It all depends on what your purse can allow you for and what your personal preferences are.
Do you want to buy new or second hand?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Good morning and welcome to the forums!

That itch is going to become worse, and costs a ton of money. :lol:

The 70-300 will probably be your friend a little longer. The lens you may want to switch it for is the 100-400 as it has a slightly longer reach, and better quality. (There is a new 70-300, but that is very costly!)

You may want to see if you can get a secondhand EOS 40D. Purely for the higher speed it has in focusing and the higher framerate. That will be a step forward at low cost.

In the future you may want to get yourself a 7D. It costs around R12.000 and is a really good camera for wildlife. Super quality, high framerate and very quick focusing.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:25 pm 

Hi Gaz Tau,

Would love to have your job working in the bush instead of working at a screen...

Ok so you want to take the plunge into photography and i see you started by going the correct root by choosing canon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

The canon 1000D is very entry level Canon body and not many people buy them unless they really have too. So my advice on this body is to rather save up some money and buy a better body. Depending on how much you want to spend is another question. If you have a small budget then try go for 450D upwards also try get a (50D) second though as they do not make these bodies anymore (60D) took its place. I started off with the 450D and still love the camera i use it as my second body.

Now... :hmz: for the lens. My advice is spend more on glass then the body. The lens plays a major part in photography. I would rather spend a little less and get a 450D instead of lets say a 550D and spend the extra cash on the lens. The 70-300 is (if im not mistaken) given as a bundle pack?? If you buying the two as a bundle then i would rather leave it. I would rather for a better lens. I suppose it will be a good start up lens and then grow from there but if you have the money i would rather spend it on better glass e.g.

canon / Sigma 70-200 F4 non IS (Half the price of IS)
Simga 150-500 APO DG

and then when you have the money and feel confident go for a canon prime.
if you use the zoom lens and find all your pictures are taken at full length (i had the 150-500 sigma and i shoot wildlife and birds and found that most of them were shot at 500. I then sold the 150-500 and bought the prime.) then go prime instead of zoom. Prime (fixed length) has better IQ (image quality) over the zoom so i would recommend the 400 F5.6 over the 100-400L from canon. or if you can afford it the 300 F2.8 x 2converter. or the 500mm prime F4

Hope this helps but if you give us a price limit we can help you a lot better...