Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Wildlife Lenses announced by Canon
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 am 

I saw on DP Review that Canon is upgrading the 500 f4 and 600 f4 to be released later this year. The current models are excellent but what I gather is the new versions will have even better weather sealing than the current and the new ones will be much lighter.

The third lens is a completely new lens and Canon's answer to Nikon who have enjoyed having the best wildlife zoom the 200-400 f4 for the last 11 years. Canon has announced they will be introducing their own later this year. The interesting thing is that it will have a built in 1.4x convertor that can be operated at the flick of a switch making the lens into a 280-560 f5.6..While I can see the benefits I feel it could be gimmicky and even if you have the new 1.4 convertor already this lens comes with it built in like it/want it or not and no doubt it will add to the cost estimated at R85K to R95K. Nikons version doesnt enjoy any convertor so it will be interesting to see.

Normally a zoom does not have the close focusing ability of a prime. Taking both the Canon and Nikon 400 f2.8 primes you get a close focusing of around 2.9/3.0 metres. The current Nikon version of the 200-400 f4 bucks this trend and has a close focusing of 2.0 metres. It will be interesting to see whether the Canon version comes close and whether the IQ is affected by a 1.4x like the Nikon version is. If it is then this built in convertor will be a cash creating marketing gimmick of no use to anyone.

Anyway my Canon mates are smiling and its going to go big for Canon

Post subject: Re: New Wildlife Lenses announced by Canon
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm 

Allthough I do not think Canon's 200-400 will be in my shopping cart anytime soon at your estimated price point I think the idea of a built in 1.4x TC is great. I suspect the IQ will be far less effected by a TC which has been optimised for a given lens. In addition it adds substantial versatility and avoids the need to change lenses in dusty enviroments.

This might become the ultimate wildlife lens :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:37 pm 

mikef wrote:
...Canon's 200-400... (with) a built in 1.4x TC... might become the ultimate wildlife lens

I agree; I'll be keeping a close-watch on developments, but I shudder to think what the initial asking-price might be :shock:

Theoretically, it sounds like a dream-lens. My suspicion is that any IQ loss when activating the 1.4x will hardly be noticeable. More of a problem might be slowing the AF down, but hopefully it won't.

I wonder if you will be able to plant another 1.4x on the end to make it a 390-780 @ f/8 - albeit MF; but I would guess IQ will almost certainly suffer notably then...

As for the new 500 & 600 - short of winning the lottery, they are way out of my reach :lol:

But hiring is always an alternative for short periods...

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:33 pm 

I still say Canon should let the purchaser decide on whether they want a 1.4 convertor or not..a bit like saying here is your new car it comes with mag wheels for which you have to pay an extra R20K..

Also when I had the Nikon version a 1.4x hada noticable reduction in IQ unlike my prime which is no different so if Canon is copying the exact optical path then I suspect this same reduction of IQ will happen but who knows maybe itsa new design?? :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

EOS_User wrote:
I wonder if you will be able to plant another 1.4x on the end to make it a 390-780 @ f/8 - albeit MF; but I would guess IQ will almost certainly suffer notably then...

I guess not. I have been using a 1.4 on my 100-400 a lot, and really can't tell where I used it.
Lets hope the lens will be able (!) to take an extender.

Oh, the 1D series has AF at f/8, so have no trouble. I did notice that focus was slower though. But that usually doesn't matter as you won't be using it in high-speed instances.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:14 pm 

Lanzerac wrote:
I still say Canon should let the purchaser decide on whether they want a 1.4 convertor or not..a bit like saying here is your new car it comes with mag wheels for which you have to pay an extra R20K..

When the opposition supporters start knocking the idea before it is even released it must mean they are feeling jealous. :twisted: :D

At this stage it is all speculation but too me it seems if this concept is almost like combining to prime lenses into one - with the added versatility of a small zoom range. I am sure you would still be able to add additional T/Cs if you wanted - but as currently there will be a price to pay in light and IQ.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 am 

Mike I am definitely Jealous of anybody with a 200-400 f4 lens. :lol:

My initial thought that the convertor would be just another gadget that could go wrong has been negated as I have just seen a close up of the back housing of this lens on another forum and the lever looks properly over engineered so that is good...it wont break!!

How I would love to have a 200-400 again as there is a huge gap at very often used wildlife maginifications in my arsenal of 2 lenses for wildlife. With the 1.4x convertor I can get 100-280 f4 from the 70-200 and then all the way to 500 there is nothing. Now wouldnt a 200-400 be just the ticket to fill that gap :shock: ...I just need to design a suitably worded piece of cardboard and spend a year at the Robot to get the mullah!!!