Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP waterholes
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:36 am 

Hi

My wife and I have two trips planned to the KTP in May and September 2011, both trips 2 nights Twee Rivieren, 8 nights Nossob, 2 nights Twee Rivieren.

We will be using Canon 7D's, 400 and 500mm lenses with 1.4 convertors. We prefer to position ourselves at a waterhole and wait for photo opportunities. Can anyone suggest good waterholes for morning and evening photo sessions.

Thanks

Jim

Post subject: Re: KTP waterholes
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm 

Jim

Nossob

Morning go north is my recommendation and the first Waterhole Cubitje Quap is 10 kms from Nossob. The Sandgrouse come in their hundreds and you have the sun behind you..08h30 to about 10h30 is prime time for them..Quite good for lions and other plains species..Watch for Lanner and Red necked falcons there too

The next waterhole is Kwang...great place and then go further to Bedinkt and Kousant ...Do all these first and go back later to Cubitje Quap as you should pick up Brown Hyena at Kwang IF you are early.

Afternoon...South to Marie se Gat and that loop as the sun is better in the afternoon unless you want to get Kalahari back lit images then morning makes that possible

Twee Rivieren I dont normally stay there but Samevloeing has been great anytime of the day as well as Hoemoed, Montrose Achterlonie and Monroe...Long drive to 13th and 14th boreholes could be good but the light will be pretty much shot by the time you get there..Good Luck..Nice kit you have

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 am 

Hi Jim,

I agree with Lanzerac, but I also want to add: You're not considering goint to the other side to Mata-Mata? After our last 10-day trip, we got our best oppertunities in the Auab River with Cheetah sightings almost every day. We also witnissed and photographed a Cheetah kill because we "read" the signs correctly and was very VERY patient. We had many lions sightings as well.

If I ever had to return to KTP just for photos, I would only stay in Mata-Mata and choose a spot between Craig Lockhart, Dalkeith, Veertiende and Dertiende Boorgat with Veertiende Boorgat my favourite.

At the Nossob side though, Marie se Draai is king in the afternoons! :thumbs_up:

Enjoy! :cam:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Switchback your post has made me very glad that I decided on Mata-Mata in December instead of Nossob :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

What would you rate as the best morning and afternoon routes with getting the best photo opportunities in mind from Mata-Mata as well as TR? :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 pm 

Oddesy,

It is difficult to say as we experienced great sightings at most of them - the reason being that from Craig Lockhart to Kamqua there are a few cheetah families and lions patrolling the area.

What we did is to leave as early as possible, leisurely drive down to about Dertiende Boorgat (and sometimes Kamqua) and make our way back to camp for lunch. After lunch we drive down quickly again (within the speed limit of course 8) ) to Kamqua and go back to camp as slow as possible to make it back in time.

The reason for this is of course the sun and I am shooting from the driver's seat - so late afternoons the sun can be behind me to the left and the river is on my right hand side. This strategy proofed quite fruitfull, but of course, you may find cheetah in the middle of the road just as you leave Mata Mata! :dance: It happened to us twice!

If I really have to say which one was best, I'd go for Veertiende & Dertiende Boorgat. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Switchback wrote:
If I really have to say which one was best, I'd go for Veertiende & Dertiende Boorgat. :thumbs_up:

Me too!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks SB!! Will definitely make a note for Dec. Can't wait to experience KTP for the first time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image