Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Birds / Animals in the camps
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm 

Hi all

I am going to Kruger for a second time this July/Aug. Last time we went to lots of places & saw some great sights, however, we didn't take much notice of the wildlife that actually lives in the camps themselves.
So... what birds & animals do you know of that live in the camps (& which one).

Having this additional info will prolong the day a touch when the gates are closed & it isn't quite Braai time.
Also they will probably be more habituated & less skittish in front of the camera.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Stproc on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Birds / Animals in the camps
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm 

Never take in-camp flora and fauna for granted.. I have often captured great images in the camps.. and not so much that they are more camera ready buy it's easier for the photographer to move and capture them than sitting in a vehicle..

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:16 am 

Hi Stproc

A big welcome to the forum from a fellow brit.

You may be an expert on this sort of thing so please forgive me if the following suggestions seem a bit obvious.

Have to admit that we spend very little time in camp during the daylight ~ it’s a long way from London to Kruger!

For birds in camp look out for water, could be a pond, sprinkler, bird-bath or even a dish put out strategically near your hut. [Don't think this constitutes feeding!!!] :hmz:

Use your ears, just as you would looking for birds anywhere. Evan if you are not familiar with SA birds, after a while you will become used to the normal background whistle, cheep and twitter and will notice anything unusual.

Spend most of your time moving slowly or even better, standing/sitting still.

If your SO decides to have a daytime shower, it’s the perfect time for an explore, try walking round the fence, respecting others privacy of course!

Mopani has some brilliant places, try round the back of the pool and round to the restaurant.
If you are lucky a dwarf mongoose or five may pay you a visit if your sitting quietly at your “hut” during the day, or if your unlucky baboons! Secure your fridge and food!

At night honey-badgers strut round camps like Satara and genets at Berg-en-dal and Punda Maria. Most camps have Owls that call at night and can be found if you are skilful/lucky enough to find them.

Look where you are treading when walking off the path in the day and always use a torch at night, puff adders for example, are incredibly beautiful but almost invisible off the paths.

Never go anywhere without your camera even a crowded shop or restaurant, many great opportunities happen around busy places.

Have a great time and expect the unexpected! :thumbs_up:

UKB

ps
Punda has a great hide overlooking a damp bit of the bush.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stproc
Having been to most of the main camps in KNP I can only say that all of them have loads of resident birds and other interesting creatures.
As UKbadger said walk around the camps slowly and listen, it's amazing!
A few of the camps have some specials; Skukuza has it's population of resident fruit bats that have recently moved to the conference centre, you'll find bat houses in Letaba and it's a must to wait close to them at around 17:30 and see them all fly out for dinner.
All camps will give you great birding and UKbadgers advice on water is :thumbs_up:

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 pm 

Thanks for the replies folks, some great tips - keep 'em coming!

We will be stopping at:

Berg en Dal
Lower Sabie
Skukuza
Crocodile Bridge
Satara
Mopani
Olifants

Cheers

Steve

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 am 

Oops, I missed one of my top tips.

Look out for flowering plants, especially those with long flower “spikes”, I can’t remember their names but you’ll know when you see them, as they are magnets for nectar feeders like Sun Birds.

Around the outside of Berg en dal restaurant area is surprisingly good for photographing birds, Grey headed Bush Shrike, Huglin’s Robin Chat, Flycatchers ------- and the usual weavers have been good to me there. All over this camp is good for birds and the “bushy” part is just like being outside the fence but without the big animals!

Satara round the fence at night with a powerful torch is good for all sorts, Honey B quite possible! One night a year and a half ago I saw one face down the meanest, ugliest hyena you ever saw just on the safe side of the fence though!

Mopani is not so much built in the bush as into it! almost every hut stoep, [porch], could be a bush hide! Have seen many Rebilled Buffalo Weavers here, Thicknees visiting the stoep at night.

If you are lucky enough to be staying in one of the perimeter huts with a view and nearby trees, Oliphants is THE perfect place for a “crash out” after an early morning drive. Feet up, “bins” in the lap, camera handy and let the birdlife come to you!! 8)

Oh dear, I’m getting carried away! :redface:

Still another 5 months to go before we see it again!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 am 

UK B,

We are there in 5 months too ! Maybe a sundowner might be an opportunity to meet up if we are in the same camp !
Thanks for the great tips

Steve

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm 

Hi - we will also be there in 5 months time, from 10th July. Please remember your yellow ribbons! :clap: