Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Photo Theme: Youngsters in the Wild
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Summer time is a great time to capture young animals on photo's in all the National parks, because of all the new borns arriving from Nov to Dec. :D This made me think of starting a thread on the children of the wild. This thread is slightly different from Mother and Child, because you do not need to include the mother, although its not a problem to place the mom or dad in the photo. The idea is to place any photo's of young animals and if you would like to add a few pics of the kids enjoying the bush you welcome. :wink:

My first photo will start-off with the primates, the naughty child of the bush. :roll: But so sweet when they young :whistle:

Verver monkey baby with mom.

I always feel my trip was special when we've seen lion cubs. These two were taken early morning on the H4-2 about 8 km north of Croc Bridge.

Unfortunately our sighting was disturbed by a game vehicle, which pulled in fast behind us nearly in our boot. :sniper: The little ones did not enjoy this big vehicle and moved off into the bush. :big_eyes:

One rested a while before taking off after mom and sibling.

I still got lots of other youngster to add, but first close off with my baby in the park. This photo was taken of my son a few years back at Marekele in the campsite. And no he is not doing anything illegal because you can pitch your tent on the spot he was standing. Next time I will just replace the red T-shirt with brown. :doh:

Send your photos of babies in the wild that you've seen this holiday or before. :cam: :dance:

Bye
Heloise

Post subject: Re: Photo Theme: Youngsters in the Wild
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great idea son godin :clap:

:yaya: CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE FUN FORUM ON SANPARKS

:yaya: Take a look at my Lion TR

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Mattib :D I won't be able to post pics of baby leopards and cheetahs so I call on other forumites for help. :( The only photos of young cheetahs are teenagers from Kruger, maybe a bit too old to qualify.

This young leopard was spotted in Etosha, which I must share with you even if its not SANP. Real curious cat who approach our car straight to my SO and then lay down behind the car.

On our last visit to KNP in Sept we saw lion cubs near Berg 'n Dal with a pride of about 10 or more lions. The little ones got all the attention from the adults and some grooming as well. :tongue: Some of the females looked pregnant, so maybe other forumites will spot the pride with the new borns this month. We found them on the S110 about 2-3 km before the tar road. (see under Camps and road feedback on sightings near B'n D)

Later that weekend we found a hyaena baby with its mom and dad and youngsters from a previous litter in a culvert near Afsaal. I must still download the raw photo of the baby to JPEG and will only show you the older siblings. Penfold also reported in his trip report about hyaenas near the same spot and it might be the same group just a month or more older.

Elephants are always found near the waterhole north of Mhlambane river after the S118 next to S114. :dance:

This baby ellie fell into the water hole and some of the adults helped it out. It was a bit of a struggle and we were quite relieved to see him on his feet again. :pray:

I think this pic of an elephant calf was taken at the same water hole.

Youngster in the wild can get quite noisy if they don't get their food fast enough. We found this giant eagle owl chick screaming for food in a tree on the S28 road near Croc Bridge. :naughty:

Sometimes both parents must help with the feeding as in the case of the Pied Kingfishers we saw at Lake Panic

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This young ellie mother was so annoyed when her calf would keep running up to her for shade from the heatImage

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:10 am 

Hey Godin, nice photos & sightings. Those hyena pups may have been the same ones I photographed in late september/ early october this year. :) I spotted two pups and family around afsaal area also :D

Hyena Pup Stare by RGFarrelly, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:44 am 

Nice idea for a thread Son godin. :thumbs_up: Here is an old photo of mine, but you just have to love this little one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mattib, RobNZ and Sprocky thanks for sharing your photo's. :thumbs_up: :cam:

Mattib you can see from your photo that the mother's body gave a lot of shade to protect the little one from the sun. :D

RobNZ, I also think it's the same gang on your photo's. :thumbs_up: These two are the older siblings and there was a tiny baby with the group.

Sprocky, One can only say ag shame for the tiny ellie. It must have been only a few months old when you took the photo :wink: It reminds me of the old TV add (can't remember the product) "The road is long, he ain't heavy his my brother :whistle:

My next photo contributions are from sightings in KTP. In 2007 we saw many eland wandering into KTP looking for water. Some died form the water they drank without being killed by predators. This little one was found walking on its own near Kij-Kij and looked very lost. It walked straight towards a lion sleeping on the dune at the turn off to Kielie Krankie. The lion lifted its head and then decide to sleep further. The next day we found the lion not very far from a Eland kill. Not sure if this one was the unlucky one that did not get away.

We found these two quity pies on the TR Kij-Kij road all ears looking out for danger.

This juvinile BBJ walked straight to our car near Urikaruus and looked at us the same way as street children begging for food/money.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

WoW - Thanks to all who posted such magnificent pictures :clap: :clap: :clap:

What an amazing thread :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

Hi, love all the photos. Baby animals are a real treat to see.

However, I tried to download some photos myself and suddenly Flickr is not the same as it used to be. I followed the new tutorial but it does not work for me. The copy image location is nowhere to be seen if I right click on the photo.... :huh:

I am quite frustrated now.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa,
I am glad you are enjoying this thread. :D Hope we see some of your pics soon. :popcorn:

Eagle Owl,
My SO sent you a PM on how to download from Flickr. It's quite easy as soon as you get the hang of it. Good luck :thumbs_up:

Below is the photo of the baby hyaena I mentioned in my previous post and its mom with one of the other siblings. :wink: The little one was not very steady on its feet yet and most likely only started walking a few days or week ago :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pics son godin :dance: :dance: :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 pm 

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow Son Godin! Beautiful :cam:

I'm quite sure your hyenas were the same ones we saw in November, they obviously escaped the worst damage from the experimental fire :thumbs_up:

Loving this thread. :clap:

2010 Trip Report:
Penfold & The Pipster Go Wild

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:17 pm 

Here are 2 shots from KTP

What is the collective noun for a group of Ostrich chicks? ..... I dunno, but they really look flocking funny when they all run along together ...
DSC_6996 by Raptor142, on Flickr

...and this little guy still had a wet umbillical..
DSC_6503 by Raptor142, on Flickr

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW Raptor :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: great wildebeest.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 pm 

Thanks Mattib

Here are 2 from KNP

The sunrise backlighting on this little one made a very challenging shot, but with a little bit of PP tweaking, it was very rewarding.....

DSC_1420 by Raptor142, on Flickr

.... and you just gotta love these guys .... are there any primates more human-like and entertaining than baboons - they really show the Papio Ars-in-us ..... :twisted:
DSC_0844 by Raptor142, on Flickr

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next