Skip to Content

PROGRAME TO ASSIST WITH SHAKY VIDEO FOOTAGE

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

fee

PROGRAME TO ASSIST WITH SHAKY VIDEO FOOTAGE

Unread postby fee » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi - I take a lot of videos in Kruger and its sometimes difficult to keep absolutely still. I then edit them via movie maker into a dvd with music, etc. and love watching them from time to time. I have heard of various programs which can assist in editing the shaky clips.

Can any of the experts out there advise on a reasonably priced program to help me.

thanks

inyanga 1
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: PROGRAME TO ASSIST WITH SHAKY VIDEO FOOTAGE

Unread postby inyanga 1 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:07 pm

hi,
uploading to youtube offers a de-shakey option.

it keeps the centre of attention, central. thus deterring the shakes. the frame is reduced to accommodate the effect.

I guess its meant for tracking shots.

I use it in the videos taken on a canon camera, rather than an hd video cam. in the video sequences in our TR below.
r
Launch page for 2015 Cape to Namibia trip reports ..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=85498
WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Hawk
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hawk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:11 pm

fee, obviously it's best to minimize shaky video by using some sort of camera support, but of course this is not always possible, especially when filming from within a vehicle. Also the need to use a long zoom makes hand held shots far more shaky, but none of this helps an already shaky video.

Lots of video editing programs have built in stabilizing filters and I think most of the top end stuff has quite effective stabilizers. How effective they are depends on the severity of the shake, the type of shot, eg I would think that panned shots are much more difficult to stabilize than a shot with some static objects.

There will always be some loss, as the software will have to zoom in on the scene to eliminate the black edges that will result from successful stabilization. There is an apparently very good free program available on internet called 'Virtualdub'. This combined with a plugin that works with it, called 'Deshaker' has some very good coverage on Youtube, including video tutorials on how to install and use them.

Pinnacle Studio, Cyberlink Video Director, Corel video Studio, are a few examples of popular editors that probably have stabilizers, and range in price from about R800 to R1000. I'm sure there are lots of others that work equally as well and of course there is the pro stuff like Adobe Premiere Pro, after Effects, Edius Pro etc that have very good stabilizers but they cost from R6000 up.

Google video stabilizers and also 'Deshaker' and view some of the reviews and tutorials.

If I can help let me know.
Verba volant scripta manent

fee

Unread postby fee » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks - have noted both replies.
I do use a monopod, and a canon camera but the cameras are so sensitive to movement. I have awesome videos from each trip (sometimes seven visits a year) which I've edited onto dvds and I think I've done a pretty good job with them. Just need to get that little shake out!

So I am going to look at the above options and hopefully I can now get them 100% and not 90%!

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”