Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Macro Photography
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:31 am 

Quote:
Hope I explained well enough. Not sure Canon have the same function but it really makes a difference

Nikon call it "rear curtain sync" - it's a fairly generic term and means that the flash only fills in at a reduced intensity (for want of a better word) just before the rear curtain closes the exposure.....

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Raptor124! don't know where I threw my manual for the correct term Nikon use but you're correct.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:39 am 

:thumbs_up:

...and it doesn't really matter what you call it - as long as you use it and enjoy it ...!

...and you're right - it often gives the photo's more life.

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Looking for advice!

My trip in 2 weeks is going to give me a fantastic opportunity in KTP and richterveld to practice some macro photo's. i will be using a Sony a900 (full frame) Sony 100 f2.8 macro lense with Sony HVL-MT24AM Macro Twin Flash Kit. Will take manfotto tripod with no rail.

The will be my first real attempt at macro photo's so could someone provide basic techniques ie f stop 13 min etc?

Also what would be a good book to buy for me to read focused on macro principles?

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

ding dong ...rear curtain sync....rings a bell.

I will read up on this one....thanks :thumbs_up: :D

Quote:
You seem to use flash quite often - are you white balancing for flash or do you have a daylight balanced flash gel?

I have recently been playing with flash but only with the camera's bult in flash. Mostly only when my subjects are in the shade of other plants...or for instance when I was at butterfly world the other day and the light was just not good enough. I take pictures in raw so that I can change white balance. Mostly for macro I leave the white balance on auto because I go from shade to sun to flash etc. I take many photos of the same subject..trying differents things all the time. What works for one photo does not neccessarily work for the another.

Probably took about 30 pics of that carpenter bee...the biggest problem was to focus on him....he was very busy indeed !!! :roll:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

kesheshe, that's a great opportunity you have.
Macro lenses are great to use and I've got my 105 mm f/2.8 always on and use it as my standard lens. You'll see it's also very good for portraits!

First thing you have to check on are the various functions your camera offers.
Macro, rear curtain sync and if it has an automatic macro function.
I started off using the automatic settings but now work exclusively on manual, this gives me control of the amount of flash I want and takes time to get a hand of.

One important thing is your focusing, depth of field in macro is really very small and at the beginning it will probably be your biggest headache.

Shoot, shoot and shoot again until you're happy with your picture!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:29 am 

Quote:
One important thing is your focusing, depth of field in macro is really very small and at the beginning it will probably be your biggest headache.

Again I agree with Rumuruti. :thumbs_up:

My starting point with any macro photo is depth of field...what do I actually want in focus. I use my depth of field button on my camera a lot.....
My macro lens is a Canon fixed 60mm lens. It took me a while to get used to it but now I just love it !!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You want to focus on the face of the spider and you get it focused two mm behind that point!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am 

Great kit Kesheshe ...

Best advice is to play with your toys ..... (Let's hope RichPrins doesn't get to this thread)

Experiment with angles - higher angles (or more perpendicular to the "face" of your subject) and greater DOF (F11+) give better documentary detail, while a more oblique angle and/or narrower DOF (F2.8 or F5) can create more "desirable" or artistic effects....

Check the minimum focusing distance of your lens and then work your composition from that, moving away to include more subject or background matter.

I don't know the flash kit, but it would appear that you can vary the flash energy and angles from two seperate heads (...?) now that is going to take a lot more experimentation! BUT don't discount natural lighting - go through this thread and some of the flower and insect photo's on the forum and look at what the people have done - flashed shots are fairly easy to see by their shadows (unless someone has used an off-camera or lens-mounted setup).

(just looked up your kit on the Sony website ...WOW again)

Follow Rumuruti's advice and shoot manual .... maybe take a shot or two on one of the auto modes first .... "A" or aperture preference - then evaluate and begin your own experimentation... HOWEVER, you may have a lot of versatility wihin the auto functions that is not available in Manual mode (I know the Nikon is like this) - check your owners manual for this .... (howcome it's called a MANual if a man seldom uses it .... would WOMANual be more appropriate?)

shoot - view - evaluate - adjust - shoot - view .......etc

Because you are shooting such fine detail, you will have to zoom to the maximum that your camera LCD screen will allow for proper evaluation.

Your "Live View" mode is also great on the Sony so you may have an advantage over the rest of us...

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:27 pm 

RUMURUTI wrote:
You want to focus on the face of the spider and you get it focused two mm behind that point!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! :twisted:

Maybe "nerves" have something to do with that !!!!! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:29 pm 

...and check out this link to the Canon website ...

www.usa.canon.com/content/macro_bookPOP/index.html

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

thanks for the advise. Normally shoot A priority and white balance / shutter auto. Is that a good starting position. Regarding the twin flash will just need to practice and see what the results give me. i assume manual focus should also be the starting point?

In the richterveld i should have the opportunity to take time with setup and use tripod in KTP will just have to practice hand held most of the time.

Shutter release cable i assume will help with stationary things like flowers , plants etc. Would you recommend?

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 pm 

Anything that gets your shot better clarity is worth a try

When you have the time, use the tripod and remote shutter release, but don't be afraid to get down and dirty and zap a quick shot at a centipede or some ants defending their domain.

I use auto focus generally but, manual focus is perfect for the tripod shot (or something like Caracal's Carpenter Bee) or if you want something special that the microprocessor in the camera can't grasp.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Has anyone had a look at the tamron SP 90mm f2.8 ?? I have heard some pretty good things about it and have been looking at it for a while now

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow guys amazing stuff!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but you all seem so knowledgable. I'm afraid that I'm new to photography period!!!! I only became interested after joining this forum.

I know it will take for ever to take pictures like these, but it gives me something to aspire to.

I have just bought a camera for my next KNP trip in December.
It is a Fuji HS10, which I gather is a bridge camera - better than a compact but nowhere near as good as a DSLR. If I ever get the hang of it I can pass it on to one of my kids and invest in a DSLR.

It says the HS10 has a 30x zoom, so do you think I will be able to get some OK close up shots? (That is, once I've worked how which buttons to press etc.

Would be grateful for some feed back.
Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next