Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Macro Photography
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know this topic has been discussed here and there on this Forum, but no post specific to this subject.

No doubt macro photography is a very powerful tool, but also very difficult at times even with the right equipment.

Here is an article on MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY with some very nice photos as well.

Let's see some more of our members' shots!

I'll start with a few...

Image Nice spider from Satara area!

Image Here from a different angle.

Regards,

CD

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:55 am 

Good pics clever dog. I have a DOF problem with macro photos, maybe it is my lens? I don't have digital yet and I'm still into analog Nikon F70 and my macro lens is a Sigma 105mm. Any ideas how to solve it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Here are samples of some of the photos I've taken so far using the macro function on my camera.

The spiders around here do not like to pose for photographs so it is difficult to get nice shots such as those of clever dog's :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:29 pm 

Ok, I hope I get this right, I'm not used to this forum stuff. http://www.flickr.com/photos/68345974@N00/
I don't have a scanner and got this scanned here and there :lol: Only the millipede assasins were taken in SA, I hope that's alright?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:42 pm 

Hi
Saw the kikkerdril
Doesnt look very sharp and clear focus

Did you use a tripod or beanbag :?:
To get a clear and sharp shot a lot has to do with a rocksteady
camera.

And what aperature did y use :?:
Say at f4 y would only have a tiny bit sharp
To get a lot of kikkerdril sharp at least f16

The further away from a subject with a macrolens gives more
sharp coverage . This is talking about centimeters btw.
The sigma 105 is a very good lens. That should not be the
problem

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:04 pm 

Bert, I used a beanbag and it could be that I had a aperture of F4. I didn't write it down what I was doing. I should have experienced more with distance and apertures. I didn't think about it then :redface:
The slides look sharper than the scanned pics.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think your picture of kikkerdril would have been awesome if it came out better. You must definately try that angle again.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:45 pm 

Quote:
You must definately try that angle again

I'll do it next year. :) My son always have loads in his fishpond.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I always try to get some interesting pics with the macro function of my camera,sometimes I get some nice results sometimes not, but it is always fun to try :wink:

Here are some examples of my pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katydownunder/sets/491967/

I never tried to make any pics of spiders,I think they are interesting and quite beautiful (on a pic) but they make me scream in reality :shock: :redface: ...

Post subject: Re: Macro Photography
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Macro has always been one of my favorites and try to do my best with the basic lens I have. I love flowers and any occasion is a good one.

Here's a sample

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:03 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Yummy! (those are the edible chestnuts, quite nice as they are, and great when roasted.)

Macro photography is super! And the nice thing is that on a rainy day you don't even have to go outside...
A (dead or not) fly near the window will give you heaps of fun, and good practice with the camera.

I use a canon 500D (not to be confused with the Canon EOS 500D) close-up lens, and no matter where I am, it always gives me things to photograph... Not quite a macrolens, but very handy to take with..
Now to find the links to the photos of a rainspider I made, showing her beauty...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
Yummy! (those are the edible chestnuts, quite nice as they are, and great when roasted.)

Macro photography is super! And the nice thing is that on a rainy day you don't even have to go outside...
A (dead or not) fly near the window will give you heaps of fun, and good practice with the camera.

I use a canon 500D (not to be confused with the Canon EOS 500D) close-up lens, and no matter where I am, it always gives me things to photograph... Not quite a macrolens, but very handy to take with..
Now to find the links to the photos of a rainspider I made, showing her beauty...

I find there is another world we can discover with any macri lens and I enjoy looking for the small, and at times unsignificant for others, tiny things.
"It all started with a small footstep!"

These are my fantastic three easter eggs (common blackbird) hatching in my garden.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure if these fit here but here goes any way!

I have just recently discovered how much i actually love macro photography and these two are not good but i have to start somewhere! :D

Any Advice in order to help me improve my photography will be really helpful! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well Mike1916 I'd say you are on the right road. Superb colours and focusing. My compliments.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In my recent trip report I posted quite a few macro shots. For the first time I have been using the 500D add-on lens as recommended by DQ and quite please with the results. Using it on a 70-200F4IS. Saves having to take a specific macro lens.

Main problem with insect photography is that insects move! Even flowers are a problem outdoors, with wind movement a real nuisance.

Professional photographs are often 'faked' - ie set up indoors, sometimes sedating insects (cold, CO2 etc can be used), heavy tripods and focussing heads. Totally practical of course when flying into the Kruger!!! NOT!

So what are the problems, assuming you are in the Kruger (or other similar environment). Movement, focus and depth of field are the main ones - so not much to worry about! Scaring insects is another.

Movement - need a fast shutter speed or flash. Depth of field requires small apertures (F13 or smaller) unless you deliberately want to narrow the field of view. Again flash can be the answer - lots of light. But ordinary flashes not always the answer. Very close focussing and the flash can be obstructed from the object by the camera and lens. I use a ring flash, but you can use any flash off camera - but that requires yet another pair of hands.

Focus is another real challenge in the real world. Even doing the above with F16, the depth of field is still tiny when taking real macro shots. Hand holding (usually the only practical way) requires very steady hands and a huge element of luck. Take several shots! I am still not sure if autofocus is best, or manual focus by gently moving the camera to and from the object.

Think very carefully about what you want in focus. If you are having to take a picture of a 'long' insect at an angle, only part of it may be in focus. This may be unavoidable - so try to get the most important bit in focus. But if you can try to be perpendicular to the object so as much as possible will be in focus.

You can see this problems in several of my shots!

Lastly, insects usually don't like a lens just a centimeter or two from them and will run or fly away. Longer lenses (I use the zoom on 200) mean you are further away - though possibly less depth of field. Not sure about that!

Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next