Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: JPG or RAW Photography
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Didn't find a specific topic about this subject, so decided to make a new post.

I know photographers (DSLR) are continuously debating whether to take photos in JPG or RAW format.

Found this article which you might find interesting: Working With RAW

Would like to know what the Forum members are using when on the go?

Regards,

CD

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:08 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I cannot speak for myself yet as I still haven't got a DSLR, but I do know that you should always shoot in RAW. It is larger than jpeg, but at least it is unprocessed. Just bring along an imagetank (or 2) and you will have no reason not to shoot in RAW.
Read this carefully. A little quote from it:
Quote:
Certainly anyone looking for the best possible image quality will want to shoot in raw mode whenever possible.

That does describe me, and I think a lot of other people as well.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

All the photographers into DSLR i know shoot in RAW.
The only format u can proces in the computer and able to
get big quality prints for on the wall.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:30 am 

I do not have any imaging software at the moment so cannot do the kind of manupilation talked of in the articles. My camera also only have a TIFF function in addition to JPEG. 1 TIFF image being ±14MB in size I rather go for the top JPEG image then at least I can get 50 mages onto a 128MB SD card instead of 8!! :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:26 pm 

Amateur here - I shoot in RAW more and more. Cannot give a good reason why I still use Jpeg at times. :redface:

I know you experienced guys have fancy editing software but a beginner shooting in RAW needs to get hold of software that will read/edit their RAW files. The software that came with my camera is not the greatest. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements for editing and Picasa2 is an easy option for viewing/emailing etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm 

I took a laptop to KNP and used both (my 10D shoots RAW with a jpg embedded and my 20D shoots RAW with a seperate jpg)..........now I have the RAW files and as I get more proficient at PS I can process them as I want but for now to be quick I've processed the jpg's.

If you have the storage shoot both........if you have the PS skills shoot RAW.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I always shoot RAW files and store them on an X-drive for which I have both a 40GB and a 20GB harddrive.

Post subject: My Opinion On RAW
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:24 pm 

Hi Guys/ And Gals off course
As you might know I wrote that article on RAW.
Just a few notes on RAW.
My recommendation is to shoot JPG.
Uhh??
Shoot jpg untill you are comfortable with your equipment ,with your software and with your workflow. If your intention is still do do photo album, jumbos or just share photo on the PC with friend and family I would still say stay jpg.

Once you really get into bigger better photogaphy and the need arises to get more detial in you shadows and higlights have more critical control over your image then you should do RAW.
It is a fact that shooting in RAW takes more time and add extra work.

Let me just give quick summary on RAW.
All cameras shoot RAW. RAW is only data (computer garble) RAW in it self is not an image.
Now, the camera has built in computer with software that converts this data to an image.This software has been set in the factory with certain parameters and then the camera(or shall I call it the lunchbox computer) converts it to a jpg.

If you shoot in RAW you import that data to your computer and you need software on your computer to convert that yourself with your own parameters to the image you want.Now you can change the data like change your exposure ,your white ballance and so forth.
If you do not have experience in printing ,colors ,exposure and so on, I will still recommend to stay jpg.
Hope it helps a bit.

O yes so by the way my wife uses a Canon point and shoot, she shoots in jpg and I in RAW and her images looks better that my Canon 1DmkII out of camera..Price difference= R32 000.
But when I am finshed on the computer I have the better one.(she might not agree :lol: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hedrus:

Many thanks for posting this very simple explanation. I was pretty sure that for my needs, shooting JPEG would be just fine and you have convinced me.

Thanks!! arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only just found this thread (I am a relatively new member here!) - and I hink part of it was about me. I was at Punda in early June and could be seen using my laptop in the evening before an excellent dinner and afterwards whilst savouring the last of a bottle of wine or an amarula!

In two weeks I had taken about 25GBytes worth of photos - the only way to do this was to dump them onto the laptop and make a backup onto a separate hard-drive. I always use RAW and use a program called Bibble to convert them.

I also quickly check the photos whilst away; I would have to confess that 20% can be deleted straightaway to save disc space. It also saves some time when I get home and therefore a certain amount of marital disharmony!!!!

Why RAW? Because Bibble is better at converting the RAW data into pictures than the software in DSLRs (I was using a Canon 20D). I have also found that the new 'smart sharpen' in PS CS2 is much better than any other sharpening tool that I have tried.

I use Bibble to make TIFF files, work on these in PS then send the best off to be printed. I also put some photos on my pbase website - I use smaller jpgs for this.

Why TIFF and not jpg to start with? Its important to remember that jpg is a lossy format. Everytime you save a jpg you lose some of the quality and detail. If you are happy with the cameras jpg, fine. But if you want to brighten, sharpen, remove redeye etc etc you will need to save. Thats when the lossless TIFF files come into their own. Only snag is they are huge and eat up disc space.

Richard

Post subject: Re: JPG or RAW Photography
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

RAW, raw, raw!

I always shoot in RAW format and convert to TIFFs using C1PRO. The main reason for shooting RAW mode is that RAW files can be processed in the computer. You can influence the white balance (VERY important) and you can adjust the exposure for those shots where you weren't paying attention :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:11 pm 

Quote:
RAW, raw, raw!

I always shoot in RAW format and convert to TIFFs using C1PRO. The main reason for shooting RAW mode is that RAW files can be processed in the computer. You can influence the white balance (VERY important) and you can adjust the exposure for those shots where you weren't paying attention

Hi Madach,
You know it and I know it and I am certain we agree on it, RAW is best.
But having said that. if you only shoot for your album and holiday shots, I do not think one should shoot RAW. If you have limited time and do not want to spend time behind you PC and only want a few snap from your trip ,I would say Jpg.
I do not want to catogorize people but if you are just doing photography for casual fun - Jpg. If you are real serious and want to enter into competions and commercial side as well as large printing. then RAW.
See ya around man. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok, so exactly how long does it take to convert a picture from RAW into BMP or JPG?

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
Ok, so exactly how long does it take to convert a picture from RAW into BMP or JPG?

That depends on the software you use and your PC configuration. On my Pentium 4, 1.5GHz PC with 512MB internal memory converting a Canon 20D RAW picture using Capture One Pro takes about 45 seconds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I almost always shoot jpeg, I don't like to digitally manipulate my images though - I prefer my digital experience to feel like I'm still shooting slides and must get it right first time :). However, when shooting long exposures at night I always shoot RAW so that I can correct reciprocity failure. Also, if I were to come across something really rare in the bush I'll switch to RAW - just in case!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next