SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: beanbag
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

:lol:

A light filling will not work, then it's not a stable platform.

:hmz: I think she was looking at the future. Are you planning on buying a secondhand 1200 mm f/5.6 for instance? Than they are the proper size...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 pm 

second hand? im getting one brand new!! :tongue:

I suppose its time to throw out the sand and half it!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Problem for you, it is out of production. Cost a measly R1.2 million, so probably people thought it was not good.
Your best option now is the Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS USM, which you can get for $ 10,900.00.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks great Massimo. Could you ask your mom for a pattern which I could use?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 am 

Hi Joshilewis!

I Went to the fabric shop here around the corner! I got 1 meter of material and then turn it over and drew all the parts on it with a pencil! So i drew the top as a rectangular and cut it out then the sides then the front and so forth! If you do get one made make sure that you leave about 3cm on each side of every piece so that this where it get sown on! So if your top is 15 cm long then you would make it 21cm long and fold it 3cm on each side... Then the arc you leave for last get it all sown up then measure the hole and cut out and plug it in!

I wont lie my mom said that is a big mission to make but then she does not like sowing! I made mine a bit big! :wall: :wall: Weighs 35kg!! Its way to heave to carry around!! I think im gonna look for polystyrene balls to fill it with! Hope it works!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm 

Massimo - I have never tried this myself but I remember reading (think on ODP) that crunched up plastic grocery bags work very well as a filling and are also very light.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 pm 

:thumbs_up: been looking at options so will keep that in mind :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:28 pm 

My 2c worth on this subject.

Fill your bag with Vermiculite (obtainable for a few rand at most garden shops and nurseries). You will have a bag that is lightweight, portable and is user friendly on electrically operated car windows.

As all wildlife photographers are aware, the action always occurs with split second timing and does not allow time for setting up, or operating, some complicated devise before firing away. Having tried (at great expense) most of these devises, I have found that the most reliable solution is “the bean bag”. However, the larger the bag, the better. This especially for the longer, heavy lens. The bag should provide more of a platform than a pivot point for the best stability and again should be light weight for maneuverability. To this set up, add a remote control trigger to the camera and you should get a reasonably stable shot.

I have used this set up for years now and it works the best for me. And I believe that if it works for me; pass it on so others too can benefit.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 pm 

Some pictures of the beanbag I use. The bag was developed by a Dutch wildlife photographer. I've already seen people with their own creations after seeing this bag. They use a pair of old trousers. :D :D

Note: The lens in the picture is not mine :(

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:47 pm 

CliveK wrote:
My 2c worth on this subject.

Fill your bag with Vermiculite (obtainable for a few rand at most garden shops and nurseries). You will have a bag that is lightweight, portable and is user friendly on electrically operated car windows.

I have used this set up for years now and it works the best for me. And I believe that if it works for me; pass it on so others too can benefit.

:thumbs_up: Sounds like a great idea.

Clive does Vermiculte release much dust when used as a filling? If not it sounds like a very effective filling material.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm 

I tried a lightweight beanbag like that and quickly changed it to one filled with 3 kg's of rice.
At least it did not blow away while driving and if I get stuck in the bush I still have something to eat. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 pm 

Here is a bean bag I have just made, don't know if its going to work in the "real" world but seems great in my garage :) basically it is three tubes all joined together, the bottom two tubes are filled to capacity and the weight combined with the pinching action holds the whole thing very sturdy on the window, in fact I can slam the car door and it doesn't budge, the top tube is then filled about 3/4 capacity and this gives a really nice base for the camera, if I was to make another one the top tube would be twice the size so its a nice big flat beanbag.
I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts, modifications or questions, as I said I have not used this in the park yet.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 pm 

For interest sake I manufacture and distribute the Stedi Bag which is a double pocket beanbag which works especially well on vehicle doors and windows. It weighs about 2 kgs and I have used it very succesfully with both long and short lenses in most of the parks around the country..

It can be seen here: http://www.raphoto.co.za/default.aspx?PageID=29

If there are any mites that are interested, I will put together a special deal for them..

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks great Shutterbug, good luck! :)

Robbie, thanks for the offer. I already made my own one that's similar :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 am 

@ Shutterbug very nice and simple design you got there! What lens will you be using on that sort of bean bag! Not sure if you have seen my bean bag posted on page 5 on this topic! The reason as to why i went long with mine is because i just bought a sigma 170-500 lens with no IS so i need the lens to be completely stable for taking pictures!
But your bag looks awesome and simple to carry around also if need be! :thumbs_up:

Going to a park this weekend end to test out my new lens and bag together will let you know how it went ! :tongue:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next