SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Landscape lens
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 70d. But I pulled it wothout lens - just body. Because I thought to myself, hey I'll get a lens a bit later. And I see a lot of happy things being said about the Canon 100-400. ie here and elsewhere. so it seems that a zoom might sacrifice a bit of sharpness and compensate for that with versatility. So I am eyeing the 100-400 and think I'll go for that. Maybe I'll rent one for a few days to see.

Then there is the other little matter of taking some landscape shots. So, something wide angle is required. Now, I see a lens at Orms which is apparently due in about July. A canon 10-18 f4.5-5.6. Which appears to be a pretty OK lens at a pretty OK price. Around 4 G's.

Can the people who know these things tell me if my thinking is sound please?

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: Landscape lens
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Ed.
I have NO idea what you are talking about, but I thought I would respond so that hopefully your question gets bumped back to the front page and there is a wizard there with the answers.

Numbers. 70D? Only numbers to me. But good luck with your new aquisition, whatever it is that youve bought

Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:34 pm 

Hi Ed

I have a '100-400' and know it to be very popular and great for 'shooting from the hip' as my friend and forum member Bert advised me. It has served me well over many years. I think many of the amazing pics one sees on these forums are taken with that lens. Perhaps when you see great pics posted, ask which lens is being used?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks DB. I think I'm going to buy it. What I have read though, is that it may be inclined to "suck up dust" due to the fact that it is a push-pull mechanism, Someone said maybe try the Sigma 150-500. I dunno. It's a lot cheaper but some people I've spoken with dont like it.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:39 pm 

I have had my lens for ages (many years) moobox and only ever once needed to have it serviced.

Here are some links I found you might like to read - perhaps you have alread.

viewtopic.php?p=2093722#p2093722

viewtopic.php?p=2092802#p2092802

viewtopic.php?p=2043098#p2043098

viewtopic.php?p=2039933#p2039933

viewtopic.php?p=1691182#p1691182

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:02 pm 

Moobox,
I personally feel that you have brought yourself a very nice camera. I have read a lot of good reviews on this camera.

You can buy the Canon 100-400mm. It is a great lens and I think it will be amazing with your new 70D. It's got a fast autofocus when you need it and it is sharp where you need it to be.. Probably not as sharp as a fixed lens like the Canon 400mm F2.8, 400 mm F5.6, 500mm F4.0 and the 600 mm F4.0 but then again you won't be braking a arm and a leg and you would still be able to eat some delicious steaks and some lamb choppies when you braai in the bush somewhere. They are very very expensive and I don't think it is worth considering if you are not making some money from your photos. If money is not the case I would say go for the fixed lenses as they produce extremely sharp images. But you can't go wrong with this little beautie.

Here is a great review for the following lens.
http://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/canon ... eld-review

I hope that this will make the decision making a lot easier.
Regards
Stephan

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, " plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If money wasn't the options I would look at the 200-400mm f/4 with the built in 1.4x extender (Man that is a beauty)

But I owned a 100-400mm and consider it to be an awesome lens, I never had any issues with dust and I put that lens through hell in the bush :) you might consider the sigma or tamron alternative but remember that sigma and tamron QC aren't always as good as Canon's, canon you almost gaurenteed to get a decent copy of the 100-400 whereas the generics you may find it softer then you would like.

The 70D is an amazing little camera.

The 10-18mm is so new I not sure anyone other then maybe Roger at Canon has one to play with, might be worthwhile waiting and renting it to get a feel for the lens, you might also be interested in the 10-22 sigma, seen some awesome results with that lens or the new 16-35mm f/4.

Remember with the 70D, you will have a crop factor to work with, ie, your 10-18 is actually a 16mm to about a 30 I would say off the top of my head :)

Hope this helps.

Have a look at dxomark.com, great site for comparing lenses with specific bodies

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK everybody. Thanks for the info. So I now have a 70D and a Canon 100-400. And looking quite the part I must say. Now to work out what to do with this stuff. So many buttons and things. The shopping continues.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
moobox wrote:
Thanks DB. I think I'm going to buy it. What I have read though, is that it may be inclined to "suck up dust" due to the fact that it is a push-pull mechanism, Someone said maybe try the Sigma 150-500. I dunno. It's a lot cheaper but some people I've spoken with dont like it.
my nephew bought a Sigma... but the lens is not so good as a 100x400 by Canon (that I have)... so almost the same his photos and mine :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone. On this 100-400, will I need to put some or other protective filter on it? Someone told me that the glass is struggling already so why add to that. Then someone else said that a good quality filter is a good idea. So, please tell me. What do you do?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:20 am 

I NEVER place any filters on any of my lenses UNLESS I am looking for a specific effect, such as a polarizing or ND filter. Most people believe that a UV filter will protect the front element, which may be true, but using a lens hood will provide more protection, should it ever be required, and it will not degrade your image in any way. Secondly, it is probably cheaper to have the manufacturer replace the front glass of most lenses than it is to purchase a UV filter of sufficient quality not to affect your images in any noticeable manner. Consider also that, if UV filters were always able to enhance image quality, manufacturers would automatically include them on every lens - there is a very good reason why they do not.

Use a filter for what it is designed to be used for (filter the light), and use the lens hood and lens cover for protection.

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was also told about using UV filters to protect lenses, but seriously, on the longer lenses, typically you are so far from a subject and so careful with the equipment (typically resting it on something too), a UV filter is unnecessary. Particularly the 100-400 in question does not work well with UV filters (even decent ones, not sure why) with significant IQ losses. However, I NEVER shoot without my hoods on, they protect really well against accidental bumps near the front glass and keep things like branches from scratching.

That said, my 100 macro and wide angles almost always have filters. I only take the UV off my macro if I am shooting from a tripod of something that will not move. I have not noticed signifiant IQ loss but do use a decent filter (not sure which but was ~1k 4 years ago for a 72 mm). My wide angle alsmost always has a CPL on, I like using it. I have little issue taking off the filter for protection, but like the CPL effect most of the time. That said, when shooting at the sea, particularly of the sea, I ALWAYS have a filter on and usually shroud my camera in a freezer bag closed with some masking tape - the filter seals the front to protect against wind, sand, spray and salt - best is, it is easy to take the filter off later and wash that; if it gets scratched, easy to replace rather than getting a new or fixing the lens.

In terms of lenses to buy, I have the Sigma EFS 10-20, it is nice, but not that sharp towards the corners, but is really nice and wide - actual 10 mm on a crop body, like the 70D. However, now that I also shoot full frame, I need a different lens, which is annoying (but at least that justifies getting the new 16-35 f4). The point is, think whether you may go FF or not - if so, rather get a good EF lens; if crop will be the way you prefer, consider the EFS lenses as they offer greater wideness.

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the help folks. Yip, i think i'll be one of the non-fileter guys. Especially on the 100-400 anyway. As for the wide-angle, I think the 70D is what I am going to have for quite some time so I'll go for an EF-S lens. Quite honestly though, that can wait a while as I come to grips with the camera.

Cheers - Ed