Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: animals in slow motion - help
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:25 pm 

Hi from Germany (sorry for my English),

I am shooting digital high-speed video, that is, up to 1000 frames per second in high definition or 5000 fps in PAL/NTSC at daylight.

In January 2007 I will be on an appointment in the Pretoria / Potokwane area. I did like to add some time and take the opportunity to shoot some and amazing and interesting slow motion sequences for my archive.

It's my first visit in South Africa and therefore I am seeking your help / advice.
I have two questions:

1. do you have suggestions for any breath-taking slow motion sequences that I could shoot in the area ? from insects to large game? My interests reach from giant hoverflies, butterflies, hunting fish eagles and birds in general to running and jumping antelopes, cheetahs, attacking crocodiles and so on.

2. do you have any suggestions for places to go?
I accept to have to pay for shooting in parks, but some interesting subjects maybe accessible in other places.

Best wishes
RD

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:21 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

There are several bird sanctuaries in that area that might be good for you, if fences are not in the way. SA birdhides may have better information for you, as we are only allowed to talk about SANParks managed parks. Like Groenkloof incidentally, which is in Pretoria and seems to be a birders haven.

And the smaller stuff? You can even find it in the side of a road or highway...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 am 

DuQues wrote:
There are several bird sanctuaries in that area that might be good for you, if fences are not in the way. SA birdhides may have better information for you, as we are only allowed to talk about SANParks managed parks. Like Groenkloof incidentally, which is in Pretoria and seems to be a birders haven.

And the smaller stuff? You can even find it in the side of a road or highway...

Thanks DuQues,
As I mentioned, I am prepared to pay and willing to go to places managed by SANParks. But which place is promising for my purpose (I'm am not a birder).

I'm a bit concerned about shooting right next to the highway, however, if this is a safe thing to do, I may have to consider it. But the problem is that I do unfortunately not have the time to explore the country up and down to find interesting spots – that’s way I asked for help.
Cheers
RD

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Rudix wrote:
(I'm am not a birder).

Yet! :lol:

Kingfishers would be a very good subject for highspeed filming...

I'm sure you'll get a few PM's with information. I'm not a Saffie (almost a neighbour of you, Dutch) but there are plenty people here that may come up with nice spots.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi,

I'm not sure which of the Parks you'll manage to get to, but if you do manage some with antelope you could do this sort of thing:

Can you get down to Kruger at all? There is a huge variety of game, birdlife, insects, reptiles and even aquatic wildlife there. It's a short flight from Joburg, might be worth your while if you have the time? There are also opportunities such as fighting hippo bulls which many people have never seen, even if they have the Discovery Channel - might be something nice to take home :D

Have an awesome time in SA, and please come back and share your experiences once you return!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:26 pm 

Hi Meg,
well that is a in fact a nice picture - that is exactly what I had in mind! Thank you very much for your precise suggestions. In deed I will be in the Limpopo Province and not far from the Kruger Park and I will pay a visit. I did like to get these fighting hippo bulls. On the other hand, the KNP seem verrrryyyy large.
Cheers
Rudi

PS. I will show some pictures when I'm back.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Rudi, don't go to Kruger!

If you are there as a one (1) day visitor only you are going to kick yourself forever for not going longer and spending a week or more in Kruger!

But yes, there are oppertunities there for highspeed photography in Kruger. Less however than one would think though. Mostly the animals are relaxed, not hunting or zooming around. That's what they do for the people behind you, and you hear about it in the camp while busy with your sundowners. You hear something like "Did you see that amazing lion kill?". Compare notes, and you had left 3 minutes before from that spot. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:22 pm 

Hi DuQues,

Thank you, I may consider your advice and try my luck else were.
I have one week to spend. But, a week is quickly gone if you don't know were to go - a few promising spots! That was the reason why I addressed the board.

Maybe the permission to film in the park will be anyway to high to allow me to stay in the park for one week. I was searching for the tariffs for filming, but this info seems to be very well hidden.
Cheers

Rudi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Are you going to do commercial filming? I was under the impression you were just looking for spots for private enjoyment. (That sounds a bit odd, but you know what I mean.)
Have a look here about filming. If it's commercial KNP SM can give you all the info you need.

I still think that for highspeed filming you should look at birding sites. I would love to photograph a kingfisher (any kind) diving into the water, freeze framed, and another when it comes up with a fish, again frozen.
And I know for sure there are many on this forum that agree with me.