Skip to Content

General Photography Chat

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:54 am

Best we have used is bird seed. But the mixture with sunflowerseeds. The are big and much more lighter that rice or beans and works just as well.
Any big supermarket or pet store is the place to get them

simonb6
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby simonb6 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:58 am

One online supplier of beanbags recommends small polystyrene balls or beads.

Presumably you could get them from a DIY centre or builders' merchants.
Cheers, Simon
My photograph album

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:59 am

I usually use ± 3 kilo's of rice. Easily handled, and at the last day you can make one of the staff happy. An added bonus.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Salva » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:22 pm

DuQues wrote:I usually use ± 3 kilo's of rice. Easily handled, and at the last day you can make one of the staff happy. An added bonus.

Exactly the same here!
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

gwendolen

Unread postby gwendolen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 am

Hi forumites,

Just to let you know that we have started a new Group Pool at Flickr. After the succes of the KNP group pool, with 41 members, DinkyBird has started a Kgalagadi group pool

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:32 am

So you are going to click the button. Now what is going to happen? Here is a very good article on sensors.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Just a heads-up for people a little short on millimeters on their lens: Buy a 100-400 cm lens now!
Looks a little odd though.

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Not bad , although with a 1.6 camera that gives you a fairly decent 640 cm on the long end .
Pretty decent for photographing insects at long range :lol:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am

D40 and D80 users... :yaya:
Nikon has brought out new firmware for you, repairing some errors in the menu's, and more importantly the noiselevels seem to be down after installing it. I wanted to post links to the software, but the Nikon site is soooooo slow that I gave up. Yet another reason to use Canon! :wink:

Readles

Canon 400D

Unread postby Readles » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm

Hi All

I have just got a Cannon 400D. Previously I used a film camera and had a 100-500 mm lens. I am looking to buy a lens for my NEW digital and was hoping that someone can give me some advice in terms of if you are starting your lens collection, what would you buy. The cost is not of real concern, however, i would only buy one lens so it must be flexible. It would only be for game and bird photo's

Readles

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am

If cost is no problem, go for one of the long Canon lenses. My preference is the 500 F4 IS - the 600 is too heavy (the 500 is bad enough). This is a superb wildlife lens.

However it is too long for a number of situations so don't throw away your other lenses just yet. You will probably want a couple more to cover a wider range eventually.

I am sure many would recommend the 100-400 L lens; personally I was never very impressed with it. However I have been very impressed with the 70-200F4L IS, a new lens from Canon and that would be my second recommendation if the first is too much/large etc.

Richard

bert

Unread postby bert » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:20 pm

I will recommend the 100-400 L with IS
Very versatile and can be used with 1.4 converter.
But , must agree with Richard
Glass on the 500 is sharper
But only a very little sharper

But the great thing about the 100-400 is that you have freedom while making a composition.

And a landschape zoom lens.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 am

For versatility go for the 100-400. If you want to use an extender on it make sure your body is one of the 1-series (1D MKIII comes to mind) as you'll lose AF otherwise. And stick to the 1.4 extender only.

Otherwise the 300 f/2.8 is probably the sharpest lens available, but for birding that may be a little to short in a lot of cases, even with an extender.

BushCall

Unread postby BushCall » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:14 pm

peterpiper wrote:Just to add my five cents worth.

If you get the 100 -400 don't plan on using a converter with it. May be possible but results will not be great. Still, it's a good versatile lens for most situations. If you are very fussy about sharpness, get a fixed focal length lens like the 300 F4 or 400 F5.6. Not as versatile but definately sharper. The 500 F4 is overkill for a 400D. Only go that route if you are planning on upgrading your body, -selling your wifes' -:) and turning pro.

Peterpiper apparently the reason the results are not sharp is that the C 100-400 is a 5.6 and will loose Auto focus with a more powerful convertor than 1.4. You need to go to f4 to get the full versatility out of convertors and sharpness. We sold our 80-400 VR 5.6 for that reason and sold the Landy and got the sharpest tele zoom I have ever seen the 200-400 f4 which works with all convertors. We now reckon that is sharper in many situations than the awesome 70- 200 F2.8. The only drawback is that often you need to suddenly go below 200 and you can with the Canon. If you say the 100-400 is not as sharp as it could be then you should see the Canon 70-200 f2.8. Our friends have one and its killer and the rivalry between the 2 men is really funny at times!!!
If Nikon goes full frame I know we will have to somehow invest in a 500 or 600f4 for the birds as the 400 will no longer be 600

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”