Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Photography Chat
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm 

Hi there,

I own a Panasonic FZ18 superzoom and use it all the time on safaris. The latest model is the FZ35/38.

The key thing for me is I do not want to be carrying around heavy camera gear but still want the reach. The sacrifice is poor performance in low light (noisy shots and slow shutter speeds), slower focus than a DSLR (but I do notice that compared to partner's Canon 30 D and sigma 170-500 I get many more keepers out of the camera) and less control over the depth of field. Dynamic range can also be a bit of an issue at times. But the benefits are a really lightweight setup, great zoom range- no need to change lenses,really good Image stabilisation, great colour straight out of the camera (also can shoot RAW) and enough features to be able to manage the majority of my shooting needs. :thumbs_up:

Here's a link to my set from Brazil, see what you think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N0 ... 174180742/

You'd still need to invest in a few decent lenses to get the best out of a DSLR but if weight is not an issue you would certainly have more flexibility than the superzoom option.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I started on a Panasonic FZ20. I agree the range is great. I moved to DSLR because I found superzooms to be too slow (to do anything).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My SO owns and uses the Panasonic Z28
Great performance
With Leica lenses and also uses a Leice teleconverter
Great quality.
The only drawback is the noise
Above IS200 it starts to show

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the advice - now I need some more. I think I have decided on a superzoom and have found the following in my price range: Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35, Canon Powershot SX20 IS, Olympus SP5904Z & Nikon Coolpix P90. Which would you buy?

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm a fan of the Panasonics, BUT I have not used mine for over 2 years and have not used any other brand.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm 

This is one for you clever people out there. I want to enter the world of photography and need a good cam to start with. So tell me now which one should I go for and if possible why?
:huh:
*Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP
*Nikkon D5000 12.3 MP DX

Thanks!

:huh:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 am 

Hi Nikkon,

Wow, I like your Forum name!! :thumbs_up:

You can't buy a Canon and have a forum name like that, so your decision has been made for you! :D Ok, between the two of those you mentioned, I'd definitely go for the Nikon. I can give you 10 million reasons why, but don't have the time now, will elaborate later.

What is your budget though and what do you want to achieve with your photography?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 am 

Yes, my mind is/was made up for a Nikkon till I read an article about the Cannon. It seems (to me) that they are close to each other and therefore I need expert advice. I can send up to R7500 on a cam and mainly need it for wildlife and family photos. No plans in turning pro but I enjoy a good photo.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nikkon wrote:
Yes, my mind is/was made up for a Nikkon till I read an article about the Cannon. It seems (to me) that they are close to each other and therefore I need expert advice. I can send up to R7500 on a cam and mainly need it for wildlife and family photos. No plans in turning pro but I enjoy a good photo.

Buy a 2nd hand D80 for that money is my advice.
You could also consider spending less on a camera (ie buy an older 2nd hand camera like a D50 or D70) and spend more on lenses.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 am 

I'd go for the D5000, here's why (IMHO):

- Tons of in-camera edieting options
- Tons more focus modes
- 11 Focal points vs only 9 at Canon
- Tons of Advanced Scene Modes
- Better metering range
- Vari angle LCD monitor

Both cameras are almost equally great entry level DSLR's, play with both on them, shoot with them, feel them in your hands, and then decide on the Nikon... :lol:

Have a look here: Nikon 5000 vs Canon Ti

Second hand you do get good deals though, have a look at Outdoor Photo and see if you can maybe even pick up a D90. A 70 - 300mm lens in my eyes are the least you need for wildlife, unless you go to a zoo... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:18 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Right, way to much Nikon here! :rtm:

:lol:

For a limited budget and not photography addicted person I have another option: Fujifilm FinePix HS10

This has an impressive range, 24-720mm in 35 mm equiv, which is good enough for most photos.
It's sold in Holland for 429 euro, call it R4800, and I'm seriously considering getting one for my SO.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm 

I'd say stick to your original Nikon Choice all the way and dont be deviated. I had a Canon 40D and 100-400 lens which was stolen as part of the S African way of life. I now share my SO's Nikon system...chalk and cheese believe me. Sure the 5000 is a bottom of the range job but that is not the point...you have entre to the best lens system known to man. My Husband is actually selling his beloved 200-400 f4 lens commonly recognised as the best Wildlife zoom ever made and is getting the improvement on what was the best 300 f2.8 until Nikon improved its last world beater with the newly announced Nano (patent) VRII version to include the 2x Aspherical elemented (only Nikon has this ) 2x convertor to add to the unique 1.7 x convertor and 1.4 x convertor. Nikon in the lens department is jumping ahead all the time and only today announced a Nano coated f1.4 24mm lens and a 16-35 F4 to compliment the untouchaable 14-24 lens.

My SO was shooting a sport meet the other day next to a guy using a Canon MkIV 1D and SO had a borrowed D3S at much lower Megapixels . The Canon Shooter had to admit that the lower speced Nikon ate it the 1D MKIV for breakfast in the IQ dept. ...probably lens related but also other in camera stuff which I dont understand...you will pay more for sure but in the end you will know you got the best for your talent and equipment...go the Nikon Route ..I have been bitten through circumstance but I am just passing on my experiences

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jane wrote:
Sure the 5000 is a bottom of the range job but that is not the point...you have entre to the best lens system known to man.

Sure, but the D5000 (and D3000, D60 and D40) won't autofocus with the majority of entry-level long lenses required for wildlife (Sigma 150-500mm etc).

At this stage, for me manual focus on D40X, 80-200mm F2.8 with 2x teleconverter is waste of time.

Am still looking for a D50 or D70...

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm 

Maybe I am doff Josh but if a lens has AFS surely that will focus on any Nikon Body...Apart from the current 80-400 VR I dont know of any Nikon lens announced in the last 4 years that doesnt have AFS...Sure theold Dinosaur lenses had no AFS and relied on the camera to do this like our 50mm f1.4 AF D

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You're not doff, but there are plenty of non-AFS lenses around that a lot of people use.

The most common wildlife lens in use is the Sigma series of 170-500mm etc. These won't autofocus on those bodies. This is the type of lens a beginner is most likely to start off with. Unfortunately we can't all afford lenses like the 70-200mm F2.8, the 80-400mm or even the 300mm F4 AFS.

I also own a 15 year old 80-200mm F2.8 which is perfect optically but won't autofocus on my D40x. And as I said before, I may as well not bother shooting that lens on manual focus because the results aren't good enough (because I can't focus manually well enough).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next