Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lens Discussions
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 pm 

Hi CrazyGaijin

Given that you wish to get a wide-angle lens for landscapes, the 18-105 will no get you anything more than you already have, in terms of wide-angle. You already have the 18-55mm lens, and while it is not the best around, it is really competent for what it is. Any lens with a shorter focal length (which is probably what you would want for landscapes) will be better, but substantially more expensive than the 18-105mm you are considering.

Landscapes generally imply the use of wide-angle lenses, and for the D5100, which is a DX body (without an on-board focus motor), I would suggest that you look at what is available in the wider-end of lens availability. Have a look at the 16 - 85mm Nikon, 14-24mm Nikon, 12-24mm Nikon, or the 10-24mm Nikon, each of which are SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than the 18-105mm. Any of these will give you a wider angle of view that what you currently have. There are other brands to consider (Sigma, Tamaron, Tokina, etc), but the issue, at least for me, is that landscapes generally require wide-angle lenses, and unless you are going to look for a lens that is wider than the current minimum of 18mm that you currently have, your creative ability to take landscapes is not likely to improve in any way.

One issue to note is that, for landscapes, you generally want a large depth-of-field and thus do not need a fast (expensive) lens. Think through your specific needs BEFORE you throw good money at a lens that is not necessarily going to achieve your objectives. In my view, getting the 18-105mm lens will add absolutely nothing to your desire for landscape photography ambitions.

Happy Hunting

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thank you for the reply and for explaining it all so well. It is rather daunting when you have all these choices and they all seem so similar, and it doesn't help that the staff at the store just want to sell the most expensive gear...
I will use your recommendations when shopping around over the next few weeks as i've decided that a new lens will be my christmas present to myself :D to be used on my upcoming visits to Kruger and Hluhluwe-Imfolozi.
Thanks again and have a great day!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I know we are not allowed to advertise but I do know that there is a camera expo at the dome this weekend maybe worth the visit to see what they have ON SPECIAL.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 am 

Hi guys,

I have been considering going the Sigma / Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 route to replace my Sigma non-APO 70-300 lens. For wildlife, I will be renting so that is sorted.
This lens will be the one I use 80% of the time. The 18-55 VR will suffice for everything else.

Now, I can get a Nikon 80-200 F2.8D for R3 500. I know it won't focus on my D3000, but this should be sorted when I eventually get my D7000 in the next 6 months.

I think I should go the the 80-200. Comments?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :(

Ah well on to the next planning phase.....

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:18 am 

Badprop
If you are going to upgrade to the D7000 I would seriously consider the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens with a Nikon 1.4 or 1.7 converter.
There are some very good second-hand lenses around, and this particular lens is both robust and quick.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A few thoughts!

Personally I don't worry about very fast lenses for wildlife. F2.8 at 200 gives minimal depth of focus. In the Canon range the 70-200 F4 L is as sharp or better than the F2.8 and much cheaper!
Low light - that's where newer cameras rule. I have recently downgraded a 1Ds3 to a 5D3 for use in the Kruger. It will perform so much better at high iso making f2.8 doubly redundant. In addition focus tracking much improved.
1.4 convertors etc; don't use them! Lose quality. New cameras with 20+ megapixels allow cropping and still print to A3.
Very long lenses; depends what you are photographing. In the Kruger, I know all too well that heat haze and dust will ruin photos and the greater the distance the worse the effect. 500 can be great for distant shots when light is really good. Brilliant for birds though, where you are much closer.

I cannot comment on one of the Nikon cameras being discussed but I will always say spend everything you can afford on the lens. Canon's L series are expensive but worth every penny if you are at all serious about image quality. So, buy the best lens, and then buy the best camera with what's left from your budget.

Richard

Post subject: Re: Photography Kit Parade
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
:yaya: I need a bit of advice :redface:

I have a Canon EOS 600D with a 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm lense.

I now have to option to buy a larger lens... but what do I buy? :?
- the Tamron 200-500mm?
- the Sigma 150-500mm?

Or should I rather save up and go for a Canon?

Post subject: Re: Photography Kit Parade
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm 

Hi Jeanni
Canon would be your best option - but expensive.
The Sigma 150-500mm lens (I had the Nikon fit version) is very good as long as you set the camera up properly. You would certainly need a tripod/monopod/ or bean bag to stop any camera shake.
Like all long zoom lenses they are slow to focus and the sweet point is at about 400-420mm.
Don't even think of using an additional converter to increase the reach.
I can't comment on the Tamron lens.
Just my thoughts
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Thank you JDW :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm 

Hi Jeanni,

what is your budget? I have seen the Canon 100-400 L lens secondhand for similar prices to the new Sigma 150-500.

My brother have one and has taken some pretty good photos. I have no experience with the Sigma though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Hi Badprop

My budget is about R 15,000.00. I am a bit afraid of the second hand lens market :shock:

But will see if I can find one in good condition, otherwise I will go for the Sigma. Thank you for the advice :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:26 pm 

JeanniR I would go with the sigma as I have found it's just as fast as the 100-400, also you have that extra reach as well . this shot was taken with a 120-400 sigma lens. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Thank you Prwin :gflower:

I was actually looking at your images earlier :redface: They are really beautiful!

Will go for the Sigma then 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

Also have a look at the newly released Tamron 150-600 VC USD. Orms is advertising it for R14k.

Kameraz in Rosebank is selling 6 of them for R11,5k on Sunday only.

Reviews that I have seen seems quite good value for money. The 150-600 has VC and USD which the older 200-500 don't have.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:04 pm 

JeanniR wrote:
Thank you Prwin :gflower:

I was actually looking at your images earlier :redface: They are really beautiful!

Will go for the Sigma then 8)

:redface: please don't let me influence you as each person must make there own choice, for lenses such as the canon 100-400 and the sigma 120-400 there is not much difference ,but if you go to the fixed focal lenses that is another story, they are faster and sharper but way out of a persons price range.

Not sure how good you are in post processing ,but you can get away with a lot if you know what to do.

If you want to save and wait I would defiantly say go for a canon fixed focal lens as it,s a excellent investment but very expensive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next