Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger NP – Jan/Feb 2014: Lone Ranger on a recovery trip
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am sooo enjoying your tr and love your before and after gerry photo. You managed to find that exact spot. Wonderful to see how the growth has changed in the few months.

Have enjpyed all the bird photos. You have a good eye!!

Lesley

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
tedredrum wrote:
Kaapsedraai,

Wow I sure missed a lot. Some truly great episodes here. Your pictures are fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!

Daron

tedredrum, welcome back and thank you for the kind words. Glad you enjoying this TR. :dance: :D

barryels wrote:
Had to play catch up again and what amazing sightings all around :clap: :clap: .

I see my best birdie, the Black Shouldered Kite also greeted you Kaapsedraai :dance: .

Wonderful scenery :cam: .

Great recovery trip with so many wonderful sightings to share :dance: :dance: .

barryels, yes the B-S kite was friendly :D and good to have seen some of the smaller birds of prey along the road. :dance: The scenery in this area is something special and one cannot help it to take some pics. :thumbs_up:

isinkwe wrote:
Another super episode, fantastic photographs. Must be great to meet other mites , put a face to a name so to speak :D :D My ribbon is ready for my next trip :D
I have had to postpone and change this years trip three times already :wall: :wall: Not only my work , but also SO's work keep changing our plans :wall:

isinkwe, thank you and yes, nice to put the faces to the names. :D Your next trip:mrgreen:, work is a difficult one to negotiate with or compete with, but glad you managed to get something worked out. :dance: You must be excited with only time the next factor to contend with. :thumbs_up: Well, SO wants us to do a trip along the Garden Route to south-coast up to Durnab abd then St Lucia & Hluluwe (never been there) in July, but time will tell. :hmz:

LesleyWilson wrote:
I am sooo enjoying your tr and love your before and after gerry photo. You managed to find that exact spot. Wonderful to see how the growth has changed in the few months.

Have enjpyed all the bird photos. You have a good eye!!

Lesley

LesleyWilson, thank you for the kind words and compliments. :thumbs_up: The Gerry pics at Baobab differs by more than 2 years as the first one was in Dec'11 and the other one en Jan'14 - interesting to see the difference in tree growth and the vegetation on the side of the road. :) Good observation you have made. :thumbs_up:

I guess it is time to hit the road from Letaba to Mopani via Sable dam and H14.... 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Day 4, 30 Jan'14, continuing ...last leg from Letaba to Mopani via Sable dam and H14.....

As I exited Letaba camp, some large birds were circling the sky and when reaching the four-way junction, one of these birds came down and I managed to get a photo to see what it was - Marabou.

The H9 was extremely quiet, but managed to spot some more ellies in a distance.

Further down the road, while relaxing in cruise control mode resulting from the quietness, I suddenly had to slam on brakes. ... :big_eyes: :wall: :wall: too quick across the road it went....a near 2 meter long beige coloured snake, perhaps a Black mamba or Olive grass snake. This is one of the creatures I love to spot when in Kruger, but one is enough per trip.

Now awaken and adrenalin levels up, alertly I set off to Sable dam following some BBM's sightings that some lions were spotted on a zebra kill few days ago and they still spotted in the area. Close to where one can start seeing the different koppies, another Wahlberg eagle near the road.

Arriving at Sable dam, the dam was the fullest I have ever seen it.

Driving the back loops to get a different view of the dam, some buffalos were lying in the water enjoying and cooling off. On the dam side, some more buffalos entering the dam for a quick dip.

No sign of the lions on the zebra kill yet, so I took a drive towards Phalaborwa gate and then spotted some cars parked next to the road. Something was down in the dry river bed and at first I did not know what it was when one car moved off allowing me to get a better view...and then I saw it...a female lion relaxing. I did not see the others nor any signs of a dead zebra i.e. vultures, hyenas etc.

After I had spent a few minutes at the lion sighting, I turned around and took the H14 tar road to Mopani. Along the road, some more koppies located on this road which provided an opportunity to spot a beautiful Klipspringer overlooking the fields from a large rock.

At the H14 - S131 intersection, I was hoping to spot some hyenas as we have done in the past, but no sign of them this time round. However, I saw a car next to the road which I approached slowly as the ladies in the car was looking at something in the tree. They were just arriving in the park and booking in at Shimuwini Bushveld camp for a birding weekend.

Along the tar road, I encountered another :shock: , this time a green snake which appeared to be a Boomslang, moving very fast across the road and again, too late to get a photo of this scary creature.

A few km's before the S133 intersection, a beautiful scenic view of the Shivulani river could be enjoyed with some hippos in the pool far below.

Crossing the Letaba river, seems the annual Blacksmith lapwing meeting was taking place with a large number of them congregating on the sand bank.

The Letaba river was full and flowing strongly.

On the other side of the river, a Goliath heron was slowly walking from pool to pool in search for something to eat.

Along the road I saw more cars with 'bird watching' signs on them. Tempted to took the S136 Boulders camp road (which is only for Boulders residents) to Mopani via Shipandani hide road, I decided to rather obey the rules by keeping to the tar road to Mopani. Reaching the turn-off to Shipandani hide, the road was closed with cable and no entry sign. I was very :doh: surprised as I was booked to stay there that night and really looking forward to this experience.

What happened next, to be shared in the next episode - did I managed to sleep in the Shipandani hide that night or not... :hmz: :hmz: :think:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Some more awesome photographs, that lion has a dirty mouth so I guess it was at the kill not too long before you found her. Excellent shot of the klipspringer and fantastic scenery shots.

So where will Image bed down for the night Image

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a beautiful drive, filled with some lovely landscape pictures, wonderful bird life, shy antelope and fierce but can be somewhat lazy lions.

Great episode!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
Great episode with some brill :cam: shots :clap: :clap:

Suspense for the next episode is too much.............Will he, won't he?..............

View our 2013 trip report at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb & Flow at Wilderness, Karoo, Mokala, Augrabies, KTP - booked :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Kaapsedraai...Lovely drive and super pics. :clap: :clap:

Just love the :cam: Shivulani river *sigh* so Kruger. :thumbs_up:

:naughty: Did you sleep at Shipandani hide ???

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a lovely drive you had Kaapsedraai, I always wonder how those Klipspringers get up so high and balance on those rocks

Thanks for sharing :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 am 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Was lekker catching up again!
Now that hamerkop is a beaut! They are my favorite birds and you showing off some acrobatics just made my morning :w:
So sorry that you couldn't take kiekies of the snakes! Just love seeing them in the Park, and yes, most of the time they cross the road so FAST that one shot is impossible to take :slap:
Great scenery sightings :clap:
And waiting to see if you got to stay @ Shipandani :popcorn:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a lovely drive Kaapsedraai. Lovely photos. Keep the TR coming.
So what happened with the hide???

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Kaapsedraai I have enjoyed your trip report from page 1 when the animals started to talk :D and I am still enjoying it :clap: :clap: :clap: . Thank you :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for another beautiful episode Kaapsedraai! Beautiful sightings with pictures to match! My favourite .... the Klipspringertjie! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful scenery pictures, and I still cannot believe the beauty of the Letaba River flowing instead of the normal dry riverbed! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have just been catching up after my return from the cricket. I thought that I would be in for a treat and I was not disappointed. As ever, an excellent report. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your baobab and road picture is now set as my desktop picture.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Another wonderful trip with amazing sightings :clap: :clap: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great photos! Those clouds look fluffy enough to sleep on!
Classic klipspringer too! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 57  Next