Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger NP – Jan/Feb 2014: Lone Ranger on a recovery trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Kaapsedraai,

Gorgeous :cam: of all. :clap: wonderful to see the magic of the area unfold though you eyes. :dance:

Love the unusual markings on the larger giraffe..definitely not an everyday occurrence. :thumbs_up:

More please :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
another super episode :clap: :clap: excellent Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Olifants camp is just one of special places where you cannot explain to someone the feeling you get they have to go themselves! I absolutely love your landscape photos and it is such fun to watch ellies swimming. They loose their clumsiness in the water and it is amazing to see how much they love swimming!

Thanks for another perfect episode

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some stunning pics of the Olifants river, I can't believe how full it is and after this last spell of rain, even fuller.
Great views, and such a lovely camp to stay at.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Glad that everyone still on the bus and travelling with. Thank you for the kind comments that are continuing. :dance:

sable, that view over the Olifants river with clouds was really special. Seems this part of the park quite a few birds around. :D These ellies in the river were having a great time it seemed. :thumbs_up:

hilda, those giraffes were really beautiful, and the views with activity around really special. :thumbs_up: That statue is so cute, and agree with you - also wanted to put it in the boot of the car. :hmz: :D :D :D

umtali1, the kingfisher was lovey to watch while doing what they do best - fishing. :D The surroundings along that route is also lovely and for me, it is not just about the animals, but everything one sees. :thumbs_up:

Jan van Wyk, thank you and glad you enjoying it. :dance: About the scripting :hmz: oops, not to sure about that, but thank you for the kind words. :thumbs_up:

Pumbaa, in Dec'13 also had some beautiful birding sightings, glad to get a nice one of the kestrel. :D The landscape in this are is just something special. :thumbs_up:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr, it was an enjoyable drive along these roads in the Olifants area allowing for appreciation of the beauty it produces. :D The giraffe was really something special, and had spent a bit of time with him. :dance:

isinkwe, glad you enjoying this episode and thank you for kind comment. :D :D

Cape of Storms, I still recall the pic you posted in your TR with SO enjoying the view from the bungalow and a bottle of green 'vitamins' in his hand. 8) :D :D :D You are spot on with your comment that "Olifants camp is just one of special places where you cannot explain to someone the feeling you get they have to go themselves!". :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: The ellies are just so home in the water and a real treat to watch. :D Glad you enjoyed this episode and next one to come - travel from Olifants along the river to Letaba. :dance:

SurfCindy, the Olifants river was a lot fuller than Dec'13. :D Would have liked to be there now to see the water coming down after he rains. :hmz: The area remains a special place with its own beauty. :thumbs_up:

Next episode coming up soon.... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Still on day 4, 30 Jan'14 travelling from Tamboti to Mopani via Olifants. I took the S93 gravel road and then along the river on the S46 to Letaba for my next stop.

The S93 is well known for its abundance of giraffe and I found one lying with its head up and alert while the others were browsing. Some other general game was spotted along the S93 when I reached the beautiful scenery where the road passes through two trees - the Von Wiellighs Baobab and Leadwood tree. It remains a very special spot with the view of a few years ago when we saw some giraffe in the road reaching for a leaf - such a memorable and rare moment , for me. :lol:
The view we enjoyed during our Dec'11 trip. :D

I reached one of the streams, Mfuleni, which was flowing strongly and some activity attracted my attention. A Green-back heron came flying over from the one side to the other and sit in the shade of a tree scanning the strong flowing water underneath it.

While enjoying the Green-back heron's movements, a Malachite kingfisher flew past and sat on a low hanging branch, my heart skipped a beat from excitement and as I just managed to get the camera to focus, it flew off again. :wall:

...But I was not disappointed as I was rewarded with some other action at that time - Mr Hamerkop.
"Keep that noise levels down, can't you see I am trying to concentrate on catching fish" - he whispered while giving me the stare.
"Sorry, I did not mean to cause any disturbance" - I replied in a soft apologetic tone.
"You see, it is a lot harder for us to catch fish than to just wading in shallow water stirring the mud with our feet and probing in the water with our bills until a frog moves which will then give their position away when it is tickets for that froggy." - he educated me.
"But, Mr Hamerkop, may I ask as to why you are then hammering yourself by struggling to get a small fishy when you can get a nice juicy large froggy?" - I wondered.
"Look, man, I am different to the other birds around, if I may say so myself- for example who got as strong and big head like me? and above all, I can also do some acrobatic manoeuvres with this large beak of mine. Let me share with you my secret, seeing that you appear to be a regular on this route and a bit ignorant." - he responded with his big head.
"I guess me, and our forumite friends, will be very much interested to hear this secret and I can assure you, it will be safe with us" - I replied.
"You can share this only with the forumite friends, ok! Well, for me it is like a three course meal, these tasty fishies are like the first course - Hors d'oeuvre before I will go my favourite shallow muddy pool for the main meal, nice juice tadpole after which some desert at another secret spot for some sort of invertebrates. Enough said, I am hungry, but let me first show you my acrobatic manoeuvres- seems you are not believing me" - sharing it in a soft secretive tone.

"Howzthat!" - he responded proudly. "Now that I have convinced you, it is time for you to leave as you are making the fishies nervous in the water and nervous fishies in my stomach can give me cramps, so, it was nice talking to you, drive safely and be careful for the BigFoot in the area ." - bidding me farewell.

Driving along the S46, I slowly approached a car, and guess what! A car got a YR on. I first went past, then stopped and reversed to find out who it was. It was Crested Val and the Chick! Can you believe it. We had a nice chat and then I had to explain why I have been naughty :naughty: by not having a YR on my window. :roll: The truth is, my YR I used during the Dec'13 trip, my daughter cut up in two i.e. the one end being used for her dolls and the other one to play with the cats. So, I bought another one, but when I got home, I realised it being a light green and not yellow. :( With the limited time, I thought of getting one in White River and completely forgot. :redface: So, Crested Val was so kind to offer me one of her spare ones. :clap: Thank you Crested Val - and it was really nice meeting you.! On that note I set off to Letaba.

I went through another two streams where some more birdies were posing nicely for me. A really friendly Woodland kingfisher sitting still for a change close by allowing me to take a few :cam: . :dance:

Not far away, some White-fronted bee-eaters were sitting on top of some branches.

Just as I was starting to relax, as in the past we often had some elephants on the road, one large and beautiful elephant appeared from the bushes making his way to the river.

After another wonderful drive from Olifants, I arrived at Letaba to get some refreshments for my trip to Sable dam and then the H14 to Mopani. I love Sable dam and as I received some sightings via BB for a few days at the time of lions on a zebra kill near Sable dam, the decision was made to check this out...tbc

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
Great shots as ever. :thumbs_up: especially of the heron and the hamerkop. Love your narration :clap: :clap:

Wonderful :cam: of the giraffe. That ellie is huge.

It's wonderful to meet fellow mites as we discovered :thumbs_up:

View our 2013 trip report at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Kaapsedraai

Another great episode with stunning :cam: :clap: ...really enjoying your narration. :thumbs_up:

Gorgeous pics of the Hammerkop :dance: :dance: ...very pleased to see family member sat still for a photo. :wink: :tongue:

That for sure is one massive Ellie :shock:

Thanks for sharing :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kaapsedraai, some lovely stunning photos once again. I love the Hamerkop "fishing" and the beautiful colouring on the white fronted bee-eater but my favourite is the elephant. A great photo, you really feel his personality coming through and the lighting in your photo is fabulous.
Thank you for another very enjoyable episode. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Another great episode!

Quote:
SO enjoying the view from the bungalow and a bottle of green 'vitamins' in his hand. 8) :D :D :D

Those Vitamins do go down a treat!

Loved your gerry memory! A picture to put up on the wall

:popcorn: What is going to happen next???

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:14 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you for another great and interesting conversation with the Hamerkop Kaapsedraai! :clap: :clap:

Stunning bird sightings with awesome pictures, and that is a huge Ellie! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Al the feedback and comments are really appreciated and thank you. :thumbs_up:

umtali1 wrote:
Great shots as ever. :thumbs_up: especially of the heron and the hamerkop. Love your narration :clap: :clap:

Wonderful :cam: of the giraffe. That ellie is huge.

It's wonderful to meet fellow mites as we discovered :thumbs_up:

umtali1, I had a fun time with the hamerkop as it was the first I saw them actively fishing. The ellie was special and not aggressive at all, and ignoring me totally. Glad you enjoying the narration. :thumbs_up: :D

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Kaapsedraai

Another great episode with stunning :cam: :clap: ...really enjoying your narration. :thumbs_up:

Gorgeous pics of the Hammerkop :dance: :dance: ...very pleased to see family member sat still for a photo. :wink: :tongue:

That for sure is one massive Ellie :shock:

Thanks for sharing :popcorn:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr, it was a nice trip with some nice sightings which make for good photography. 'Your family member' was a real poser and I struggled to get a proper pic of the Woody, but this one was very kind. :D

SurfCindy wrote:
Kaapsedraai, some lovely stunning photos once again. I love the Hamerkop "fishing" and the beautiful colouring on the white fronted bee-eater but my favourite is the elephant. A great photo, you really feel his personality coming through and the lighting in your photo is fabulous.
Thank you for another very enjoyable episode. :thumbs_up:

SurfCindy, the Hamerkop was very kind to show me how it is done. :D The bee-eater was also very calm so that I can take a nice pic or two. The ellie fortunately was minding his own business and not paying attention to my presence, but I did keep a safe distance which probably might have assisted. It was a lovely drive from Olifants to Letaba. :dance:

Cape of Storms wrote:
Another great episode!

Quote:
SO enjoying the view from the bungalow and a bottle of green 'vitamins' in his hand. 8) :D :D :D

Those Vitamins do go down a treat!

Loved your gerry memory! A picture to put up on the wall

:popcorn: What is going to happen next???

Cape of Storms, that giraffe at the baobab was really a special moment and agree - I should do something more with that pic. :dance: About what will happen next...a trip to Sable hide and the up H14 to Mopani...let see... :hmz: :D :D :D

hilda wrote:
Thank you for another great and interesting conversation with the Hamerkop Kaapsedraai! :clap: :clap:

Stunning bird sightings with awesome pictures, and that is a huge Ellie! :dance: :dance:

hilda, these Hamerkop seems to be real characters :D These roads provided some great photographic opportunities with some of the birds being calm allowing for some nice close-ups. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kaapsedraai,

Wow I sure missed a lot. Some truly great episodes here. Your pictures are fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!

Daron

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:38 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Had to play catch up again and what amazing sightings all around :clap: :clap: .

I see my best birdie, the Black Shouldered Kite also greeted you Kaapsedraai :dance: .

Wonderful scenery :cam: .

Great recovery trip with so many wonderful sightings to share :dance: :dance: .

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Another super episode, fantastic photographs. Must be great to meet other mites , put a face to a name so to speak :D :D My ribbon is ready for my next trip :D
I have had to postpone and change this years trip three times already :wall: :wall: Not only my work , but also SO's work keep changing our plans :wall:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 59  Next