Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 880 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Kruger NP – Jan/Feb 2014: Lone Ranger on a recovery trip
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

During Dec’14, SO, my little girl and I visited Kruger spending 18 days staying in a number of camps i.e. Skukuza – Biyamiti – LowerSabie – Tamboti – Mopani – Satara – Berg ‘n Dal – Pretoriuskop. We were spoilt with some great sightings and special moments, but unfortunately technology let us down. :( Every day, I downloaded some pics from my cameras via laptop onto external hard drive. Arriving back home, I cleared all the blurs and as I tried to copy all my pics onto another hard drive when the hard drive just stopped working. :wall: I later learned that my hard drive had crashed and data recovery not possible. 18 days of Kruger moments just gone – 3 cameras used consisting of 250 GB of pics. We were all extremely disappointed. :x :cry: :cry: :cry:

After we recovered emotionally from this disappointment, SO suggested :idea: that the only way to do some recovery work is that I must return to Kruger alone, but must do this soon. :hmz: Time was not a problem as I went on early retirement on 1 Jan’14 and starting my own business. Well, here we are…managed to spend another 12 days in Kruger as a ‘Lone Ranger’ on a ‘recovery’ trip. :D

As most people returned to work, school and daily lives, the park was relatively quiet with lots of accommodation available, but as I was alone – I opted to do it in low cost style by staying in safari tents, hide and huts – which I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed. 8)

Well, I flew in from Cape Town to Lanseria where I hired a Toyota and travelled to Skukuza via Nelspruit on Monday, 27 January 2014. I was greeted in Nelspruit by heavy rains and on the road via White River to Hazyview saw two serious motor car accidents taking place :shock: . Arriving at Phabeni gate and rain cleared up a bit, I was happy to arrive safely just before 17h00 :whistle: .

On this :note: , :hello: everyone who is joining in to see what happened during the 12 days while visiting various camps: Skukuza – one night in Sabi Sands – Tamboti – Shipandani hide – Mopani – Satara – Lower Sabie – Crocodile Bridge & Bush walk – Skukuza. :thumbs_up:

These three African architectural style huts embody the spirit of the new South Africa and interestingly, this entrance at Phabeni (meaning ‘shelter’ in Sotho) is relatively still new as it was only built in 2002.

As I crossed the Phabeni stream, I just cannot forget about the great Kingfisher pics I took during our previous trip, but on this day it was very quiet, so I pushed on for my first stop – Lake Panic before booking in at Skukuza.

Now, what will my first sighting be :whistle: . Driving along the S1, I heard an interesting quark-quark- sound which gets loader as I scanned the sweet veld. At first I thought that there is something under tyre making the sound as the surface touched the tarmac, but then I saw it….
“Hey, you in the champagne coloured Toyota, could you please move along, can’t you see I am busy to impress a mate and denote my territory? Quark – Quark…”
“Ok, Mr Black-bellied bustard, but before I move along and as you be my first sighting on my visit just arriving from Cape Town, will you please be nice to me and do another quark for me so I can show it to the other forumites on SAN Parks website as we all are nice people, you know - please!.”
“OK - Only one, then you must go as I got some serious business to attend to. I will do for you a nice guttural quark followed by bloated throat and show you how high I can stretch my neck. But then you must go – only one take!“

The weather prospects for nice bird photography at Lake Panic did not look good with these clouds rolling in over the southern region of the park as I progressed along the S1 greeted by Impalas and Zebras.

Approaching a small herd of zebras, it seems the one looking at me intensely, whispered to the others, “Fellows, you just keep on grazing and I will keep an eye on this alien. Wait, he stopped, seems he also got one of those barcode scanner which goes click-click. Ok, he is finish and seems to be harmless - there he goes.”

Tufty:“Hi Zebbie, I do not want to gossip, but what is that guy’s plans? Why did he stop?”
Zebbie:“Tufty, you are just overly nervous, he is not speeding and got a camera – surely just an admirer.”
Tufty:“An admirer you say?! Does my hair look ok? Oh dear, do not tell me he took a photo with my tuft looking like this?”

It began to drizzle slightly as I turned off to check out what is happening at Nyamundwa Dam doing the lollipop cruise. There he is – the Fish Eagle.
Fishigle:“Were you not here a month ago? I thought you had taken enough photos! You must get this done quickly as my feathers are getting wet and I will rather fly off than you taking a photo of me as wet Fish Eagle – I got a reputation to look after you know…”.

Next stop – even if it rains, I urgently need a dose of Lake Panic’s beauty and tranquillity… 8)

Post subject: Re: Kruger NP – Jan/Feb 2014: Lone Ranger on a recovery trip
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a fantastic start :clap: Really sorry to hear about your hard drive, I know that must have been heartbreaking :( Although, if it allowed you to go back to the park, then maybe a there is a silver lining? :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to see how Lake Panic is doing, I love that hide :mrgreen:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: Great start Kaapsedraai. The quark-quark conversation is :D

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Oh my goodness, I can imagine your disappointment at your loss of memories. :big_eyes: I think that you have a very understanding SO.. to her. :gflower:

As ever, the images are amazing. I am looking forward to more.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Image there lone ranger , Image , got space for me up there?
What a great start, great narration , gave me a good Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Booked Next trip to SanParks
:hello: Can I come on board, please?

Ouch! To lose all your pictures like that. Awful!

Your SO is very understanding to allow you to return as the Lone Ranger. :gflower:

Great :cam: shots in your first episode.

Look forward to the rest of your tale :popcorn:

View our 2013 trip report to Mokala and KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.
Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On board Kaapsedraai if you don't mind :dance: :dance: :dance:
A small seat is enough :D

I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one in the parks to be able to talk with animals :roll:
I was so afraid so far I could be a little bit weird :tongue:
Thanks Doctor Kaapsedraai :thumbs_up:

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th ,Ebb and Flow : 12th-15th
Bontebok:16-17th
Agulhas:18th

2015 : KTP booked

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wonderful start and great pics too. I'll be trailing along with you, Lone Ranger / Kaapsedraai.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Kaapsedraai...Oh!!!! What a disappointment to have lost all the memory. ...just too awful :(

Great start to TR with such lovely narration...the animals are doing a fine job. :wink:

Took the liberty and have also jumped on board ...really looking forward to see how it all unfolds. :dance:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:27 pm 

Aboard this bus.....sounds like its going to be an exciting journey! Some great sightings has kicked us off on the adventure, so looking forward to seeing what is next.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to everyone and thank you for the kind words - there are lots of space on this bus... :thumbs_up:

Wild about cats
, thank you, but this time I made 3 copies i.e. one of laptop and 2 on external hard drives when I downloaded the days pics. I am awaiting a second opinion on the damaged hd as both sets of pics complimented each other brilliantly. :thumbs_up:

Grantmissy, glad you love the conversations as I am trying a new approach - always wonder what the animals must think of us while driving pass or stop... :D

Meandering Mouse, it was really disappointing - fortunately it was only the Dec'13 pics and not my pics of other trips. My SO also took pics with my other camera, hence her understanding and I am very fortunate to also had the time available. Thank you for the nice words. :thumbs_up:

isinkwe, lots of space on this bus...please hop on.. :D Glad you enjoying the narration and hope to give life to the pics, so to speak. :thumbs_up:

umtali1, yes - it was heartbreaking, but here we are...could at least do some recovery. :thumbs_up:

Goronta, a small seat.. :hmz: :lol: :lol: Thought at first animal talk might be a bit weird, but it gives another twist to the report and challenge me creatively making it fun... :thumbs_up:

Stampajane, thank you for nice words - welcome on board.. :thumbs_up:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr, yes, I lost some great memories, but life must go on...hope the narration will not become boring, but let see if we can make it fun. Hope to let the animals also tell their story about their behaviour i.e. b-b bustard. :thumbs_up:

sammyv, welcome on board and hope you will enjoy this trip with me. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

YAY I have been looking forward to this TR but I almost missed the bus. I hope there is still room for me.
With a start like that, I am excited for what the next few days hold for us. Great photos and sightings. This recovery trip looks like it is going to be fun!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great start! Also nearly missed the bus! I love the zebbies with the clouds in the background!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SurfCindy, well, here we go and still plenty of place on this bus - welcome. :D This was a different type of trip as I spent quite a bit of type with most species to capture some moods, behaviours etc. :thumbs_up:

jaytea, glad you made and welcome. Those clouds at the time of entry was really worrying - thought I might possibly caught in one of those rainy situations causing floods. :shock: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kaapsedraai, so sad that you lost all your pics :doh: I do hope that this trip gives you plenty of great sightings to make up for the loss, looking forward to a lovely TR filled with lots of lovely new memories :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next