Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Krugertripping this Summer...
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Day 12… an unexpected change in plans

22 December

I was glad spending another day at Satara so decided to take the normal routes S90->S41->S100 for a morning drive. I saw Sparrow and co this morning at the gate and they informed that they are going to enter the S39 N entrance and work their way down to the H7 so when the gate opened we waved each other goodbye and drove on our merry ways. I must say that it is best to drive N when you leave Satara camp as most cars rather drive the S100 and H6 or H7, a much quieter road for those that don’t want roadblocks etc.
I was driving extra slow this morning, I enjoyed everything and kept my eyes open for any movement in the grass but strangely enough my first sighting was something huge

The sun started to show itself and some zebbies posed for a sunrise kiekie

An ellie in the morning glow

Steenbokkie

And a duiker, they tend to run away before I can take a kiekie but this morning I got one

Then the beautiful view of Gudzani

An emerald spotted dove

And some baba-verves keeping me busy with their antics

I got to camp just before 10:00 and popped open a KPA as it started to get hot, just as I lit my first cigarette, my phone beeped and I saw that Wendy has sent me a message stating that she would rather stay 4 nights in CB than 3 if could not change our bookings from Malelane to CB the last few days so she is going to pack up camp and then move off BUT I am more than welcome to stay with the boys… my brain started ticking, which doesn’t happen regularly, and decided that I came to the Park with Wendy so where she goes I go. I started packing up and when everything was almost in my car she arrived. Also a bonus for my Satara trip was that we ran into Riverrat and we had a lekker chat whilst Wendy was taking down her tent and then just out of nowhere she started screaming… we ran towards her and saw this thing that was between her tent and flysheet!

Known as a tailless whip spider
Quote:
Amblypygids range from 3 to 23.6 inches (7.6 to 60 cm) in size according to legspan. Their bodies are broad and highly flattened, with a solid carapace and a segmented abdomen. They have a pair of median eyes at the front of the carapace, located just above the chelicerae (in a manner somewhat similar to that of crustaceans), and possessed three smaller eye pairs placed further back on each side, for a total of eight eyes.
Amblypygids possess medium to poor eyesight. Their pedipalps, which serve as sensors for many related arachnids, are modified for grabbing and retaining prey, much like those of a mantis. The first pair of legs act as sensory organs and are not used for walking. The sensory legs are very thin and elongate, have numerous sensory receptors, and can extend several times the length of body. Typically, the animal holds one of these legs out in front of it as it moves, and uses the other to probe the terrain to the side.

All I want to comment is that this thing is bloody scary!
After getting rid of it, by chasing it with a water bottle, we packed in the last things and were off towards the South again. It was hot and there weren’t a lot of things on our way to CB.
A baby zeb

Egyptian goose with goslings

Purple rollers but the sun didn’t allow for nice kiekies

A herd of buffies

And then the only thing we saw in hundreds from LS to CB were these…

We got to the camp at 16:00 and it was pretty full, thinking where do we want to pitch up our new camp, pondering between a fence view with no shade what so ever or the shadiest spot in the camp…
We were gatvol of the afternoon heat so the trees won that day and it was the best decision that trip. We unpacked and our camp was chilling under the trees in no time with some sundowners. That night we got some wood from our neighbours as it would be their last night in the Park, how nice are the campers? And we also saw our first scorpion for the trip which wasn’t something I really wanted to see as I love either being barefoot or wearing slops…
We made a braai and had chicken sosaties with cous-cous salad together with our ice cold KPA’s. We decided that no matter what this is our home for the next 7 days, even if we have to sleep underneath other people’s cars.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Heksie, guess what, I also stayed at CB for the first time and made a last minute change from LS to CB, can you believe it - but really enjoyed staying at CB even it was for 1 night. :thumbs_up:

Just love all your beautiful pics of some great sightings - the rhino, ellie, steenbok, duiker and little cute vervie :clap: :clap: :clap:

That gogga looks scary enough and can imagine the scare. :D

Lovely birdies along the way - beautiful.

BUT the one pic that is really a great one is this sunrisig over the zebras :clap: :clap:
Heksie wrote:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Heksie, love the zebra sunrise :cool:

That spider does look scary :shock:

CB is lovely camp!

Super sightings thus far..looking forward to more!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:29 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a scary Spider Heksie! :shock: Great shot of the Duiker! They are normally too fast for me to take a picture! :wink:

I love the little Vervet with the smile on his face! Naughty little thing! :D

Awesome Egyptian Goose family! It must be a struggle for mommy Goose to raise so many little ones successfully! :dance: :dance:

Stunning Rhino sighting! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:00 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Heksie,

Another episode with super sightings all round. :thumbs_up:

Just love all the babas :thumbs_up: ..Vervie, Goslings, Zebie, Ellies. :clap: :clap:

Sunrise :cam: is stunning. :clap: :clap:

Not to keen on the "Goga" spider though. :big_eyes: ..Don't do them well at all. :lol: :roll:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Heksie, I love your sunrise piccie.... and that little monkey really has me smiling. Gudanzi dam is one of those places that does not disappoint...

sigh

Ah well, its a women's prerogative to change her mind. ... and scream at nasty creepy thingies.

CB is one of my favorite camps, certainly my favorite camping camp. Looking forward to more.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AH, the shadeless site next to the fence at CB, I know it well, camped there one December........ Boy was it hot, but it didn't really matter CB is one of my favorite places to camp in The Park.

I have seen more scorpions at the CB campsite than all other camps combined :big_eyes:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Heksie,

Love that sunrise with the zebras. Looking forward to hearing more about your Croc Bridge experience as I will be staying three nights there for the first time in May.

Daron

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ah what a lovely day... LOVE the zebbie and sunrise kiekie :clap: :clap:

I haven't been to CB in years so I can't wait to read about how it went there for you. Good choice with the shady spot, camping in the sun in the Kruger heat is no picnic :x

That bug would have had me yelping too :shock:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You go Girl yes that was rather a cramped camp spot.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:03 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Just love all the baby sightings. The zebbie is so cute and then the Egyprian geese as well as the little ellies :clap: :dance: .

Thanks so much for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That Spider looks like something out of and ALIEN movie!! Great photos

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 pm 
Kaapsedraai wrote:
Heksie, guess what, I also stayed at CB for the first time and made a last minute change from LS to CB, can you believe it - but really enjoyed staying at CB even it was for 1 night. :thumbs_up:

Just love all your beautiful pics of some great sightings - the rhino, ellie, steenbok, duiker and little cute vervie :clap: :clap: :clap:

That gogga looks scary enough and can imagine the scare. :D

Lovely birdies along the way - beautiful.

BUT the one pic that is really a great one is this sunrisig over the zebras :clap: :clap:
Heksie wrote:

I was fine with the bug, except that the thing walks sideways like a crab and is so fast that we ran trying to get it away from the tent :lol:

Phokojwe wrote:
Heksie, love the zebra sunrise :cool:

That spider does look scary :shock:

CB is lovely camp!

Super sightings thus far..looking forward to more!!

THanks Phokojwe :gflower:
I agree that this is a wonderful camp, special and magical in its own way :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
What a scary Spider Heksie! :shock: Great shot of the Duiker! They are normally too fast for me to take a picture! :wink:

I love the little Vervet with the smile on his face! Naughty little thing! :D

Awesome Egyptian Goose family! It must be a struggle for mommy Goose to raise so many little ones successfully! :dance: :dance:

Stunning Rhino sighting! :clap: :clap:

I'm normally in the same boat as you when it comes to luck in taking pics of duikers :thumbs_up:
I love those cheeky verves from a distance, when I'm not in my car and want to eat then it is a different story :whistle:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Heksie,

Another episode with super sightings all round. :thumbs_up:

Just love all the babas :thumbs_up: ..Vervie, Goslings, Zebie, Ellies. :clap: :clap:

Sunrise :cam: is stunning. :clap: :clap:

Not to keen on the "Goga" spider though. :big_eyes: ..Don't do them well at all. :lol: :roll:

Thanks trrrrpie :gflower:

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Heksie, I love your sunrise piccie.... and that little monkey really has me smiling. Gudanzi dam is one of those places that does not disappoint...

sigh

Ah well, its a women's prerogative to change her mind. ... and scream at nasty creepy thingies.

CB is one of my favorite camps, certainly my favorite camping camp. Looking forward to more.

I didn't scream :whistle:
Hahahaha but it was a scary mutant that ran sideways and long pointy feelers so it was creepy :tongue:

spargish wrote:
AH, the shadeless site next to the fence at CB, I know it well, camped there one December........ Boy was it hot, but it didn't really matter CB is one of my favorite places to camp in The Park.

I have seen more scorpions at the CB campsite than all other camps combined :big_eyes:

The spot looked lekker but we decided that shade would go better and it was the best choice! The afternoons when we spent time at camp we weren't baking and it was the time when some coolness was appreciated!
I haven't seen scorpions in any other camp than CB :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:26 pm 
Wild about cats wrote:
Ah what a lovely day... LOVE the zebbie and sunrise kiekie :clap: :clap:

I haven't been to CB in years so I can't wait to read about how it went there for you. Good choice with the shady spot, camping in the sun in the Kruger heat is no picnic :x

That bug would have had me yelping too :shock:

Thanks WAC, satara has something special about it, it has stolen my heart, as well as CB. I would rather camp at CB than LS from now on :thumbs_up:
You must come visit this camp girl, you are losing out!!!!

Sparrow wrote:
You go Girl yes that was rather a cramped camp spot.

But still a leka camp :thumbs_up: :tongue:

tedredrum wrote:
Heksie,

Love that sunrise with the zebras. Looking forward to hearing more about your Croc Bridge experience as I will be staying three nights there for the first time in May.

Daron

Youa re going to totally love this camp Daron, it is intimate and quiet with very friendly people, also you must try the sunset drive at this camp, when we were there people had seen pangolin two nights and lions catching a wartie, the sightings were unbelievable at this camp and not to forget the Vurhami pride that can climb trees...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm 
barryels wrote:
Just love all the baby sightings. The zebbie is so cute and then the Egyprian geese as well as the little ellies :clap: :dance: .

Thanks so much for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Thanks Barry, December is the month of babies all over and it is beautiful to see them all over :thumbs_up:

Cape of Storms wrote:
That Spider looks like something out of and ALIEN movie!! Great photos

COS you have no idea how it looks when you see in in lewende lywe :big_eyes:
I totally agree with your assessment :lol: :lol:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next