Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bushbuddies' Warm Welcome to a Green Kgalagadi. Dec. '13
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our first visit to KTP was in July 2010 ( Truly Blessed: Bushbuddies go to KTP and KNP ). We absolutely loved it. It wasn't Kruger by any means. It was a different, magical place of its own. A place with herds of springbok, gemsbok, blue wildebeest and cats. Open plains and rolling dunes. A beauty in itself!

As time went by, we started longing to go back again. And after reading so many summer TR's of KTP, I also started wanting to see what a green Kalahari looks like. To see baby bokkies and thunderstorms (even though I was terrified getting stuck in the sand somewhere out there during a storm like that! :shock: ). So we decided to book a summer KTP holiday from 27/12/2013 to 1/1/2014 - we would be welcoming the New Year in this beautiful park! :dance:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Post subject: Re: A Warm Welcome to a Green Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Finally, our summer KTP trip arrived! :dance: We had planned it around availability (which can be quite an issue around that time of year), aircon facility (we've heard about the terrrrrible heat), and again availability. And in the end our itinerary was 2 nights TR, 2 nights KTC, and last night again at TR.

We arrived at about 12:00...

A welcoming sign to anyone who has been to KTP:

Check-in time is only at 14:00, so we had a bit of time to kill - we went for our first drive up the Nossob riverbed! :dance:

Our first welcome was at Samevloeing - where this friendly old springbok was leading the welcoming committee:

We got our packed sandwiches out, and enjoyed it under the trees, while watching him. After moving on - this gemsbok complimented the scenery - a true Kgalagadi scene:

The birds sent the Martial Eagle (Breekoparend) to come and welcome us:

While the reptiles sent this guy:

And the green Kalahari? Well the green Kalahari put on a beautiful floral dress just for us! :D

We turned around just after Leeuwdril, and went back to TR to unpack.

Outside the Scaly-feathered finches were playing in the trees.

After everything was unpacked and we had a bit of a rest, we decided to head out again. The clouds started building up... :big_eyes: It looked as if we could be heading for our first KTP thunderstorm...

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As we left camp, the wind started picking up. Dust was blown in waves across the roads and the veld. It was quite something to see. Unfortunately it also made sightings and photography more challenging...

Nevertheless, we still managed to get our first owl-sighting that afternoon - a Spotted Eagle Owl (Gevlekte Ooruil). Gotta love those yellow eyes... :big_eyes:

We also managed to see a lot of tortoises on this trip. Big and small. It is so difficult to show on a picture without anything to compare for scale, but this was a real tiny tortoisie... :D

Our first sighting of an Ashy Tit (Akasiagrysmees): :dance:

On our 2010-winter trip to KTP, we had a lot of animals on our wishlist. We managed to see quite a few of them - like the Honey Badger, the Bat-eared Fox, and other KTP-specials. But we never saw a Cape Fox, a Meerkat (Suricate) or a Brown Hyena. Special creatures not found in our beloved KNP (who knows, maybe a VHR can find us a Brownie there...), and also haven't seen them so far in KTP... So far... :whistle:

First new animal tick for us for KTP... A beautiful Cape Fox-sighting! :dance:

A mom with her cub! :D The mom kept on looking in the direction away from us, and was just not interested in looking our way for a photo... :cam: Luckily, Junior was a little more interested in us at times.

And also interested in some food!

In the end it only rained a few drops, but the clouds and light gave us a beautiful view of the Kgalagadi...

We marvelled at the view at Samevloeing, before heading back to camp.

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had a lovely night's sleep in Twee Rivieren, and got up early the next morning to greet our green KTP in early morning golden light! :D There was a chilly wind blowing, but we did not think it would last long before the sun burns it away. The plan was to drive up to Melkvlei, have breakfast there, then drive via the lower dune road back to TR on the Auob side.

First raptors of the day - these two Tawny Eagles (Roofarende):

This ostrich also decided to pose in the golden light:

And then we saw the little critters that got away from us on our previous visit - Meerkats! :dance:

I could sit for hours and just observe them digging, looking up, looking around, digging...

....looking up, looking around...

Next sighting was our first Black-chested Snake Eagle (Swartborsslangarend) of the trip. And just as I started aiming, he decided to take off.

Just before we got to Kij-Kij, we finally got our first kitty of the trip. This lovely lady was lying on the sand dune on the other side of the riverbed, monitoring all the activity in it.

She did look quite intently at one or two of the buck that passed through the valley below, but as soon as they passed, she would relax again.

Nature changed quite dramatically from a few km's before Kij-Kij. It seemed more green. We also started seeing the first big herds of springbok there.

Now with herds like these, no wonder we were starting to see some kitties... :whistle:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Almost forgot to mention the mr and mrs we saw along the way:

The mister:

And his lovely lady:

We finally arrived at Kij-Kij. Now when we visited KTP in 2010, a large part of the Nossob-road was closed. We could only go as far North as Leeuwdril, if I remember correctly. So it was our first visit to Kij-Kij. I thought it was an absolutely beautiful little waterhole. When we arrived, we at first did not see anything. But then I noticed some movement in and around the waterhole...

A Greater Painted Snipe! :dance: A first tick for us, and a very strange place to find one!

At Kij-Kij, just like many of the other waterholes in the South, the evidence of the whole Eland-saga was still to be found:

We decided to push on the Melkvlei, also a first visit for us, to have our breakfast. Good plan, because on our way we were just in time to spot these guys...

...as they started heading into the dunes.

Beautiful animals in beautiful scenery...

And soon they were out of sight.

What a good morning. Our first lion for the trip, a snipe in KTP and now 2 cheetahs! :dance:

We stopped at Melkvlei picnic site. A cool wind had been blowing since early the morning. We thought that it would've warmed up by now, but it didn't. Still, we sat at our picnic table, and ate jaffles we made ourselves the previous evening. Half way through, the wind got hold of the tablecloth again and I lost my jaffle to the red Kalahari sand... :( It was really cool (can you believe it - on 28 December in KTP! :slap: ), and we quickly got back in our car again.

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Time to move on. After our miserable :tongue: picnic at Melkvlei, we first went to go and see if the cheetahs had not been heading to the Melkvlei waterhole at the top of the dune. We did not find them there, but these two were guarding their waterhole:

On our way back to Kij-Kij we spotted this huge monitor... :shock:

Then we hit the lower dune road. I know many people find these dune roads very boring. But there is still a
certain charm about these roads to me. Even the dune road put on her beautiful floral dress for our visit:

And then one often also spot Steenbok along the way...

When we arrived on the Auob side, an even greener riverbed was awaiting us there. It looked as if the Blue Wildebeest, with their new offspring, were enjoying their new green carpet!

There was still evidence of recent good rains around the waterholes. This puddle even had some Red-billed Teals (Rooibekeende) in it. I always find it so strange to see waterbirds in KTP... :hmz:

After a long drive, we arrived back at TR, quite tired. So afternoon nap time arrived... :sleep:

After a refreshing sleep and a refreshing ice-cream (by now the temperatures had taken a serious rise), we decided to do an afternoon drive up the Nossob side again. Thought this sighting of Gemsbok was quite a nice scene...

Today it was time for the Meerkats to make way for the Ground Squirrels to be cute! :tongue:

And then we arrived at a few cars parked next to the road. On top of the dunes we noticed some ears sticking out...

We counted - 3 or was it 4 cheetah? :hmz: We decided to stick around and see if these guys were going to go over into action... :whistle:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After waiting patiently for a while the one cheetah started yawning - always a potential sign for possible movement with cats... :whistle:

Then they started getting up - first one...

...then the second got up and started moving...

...nr 3 also followed suit...

..and eventually the fourth and laziest one, got up! :dance:

They were moving South, parallel to the road, and we were following them.

Every now and then they'd stop, look around...

...and then continue walking along. They were quite a distance from us, but we could clearly see and follow them.

All of a sudden, we just heard a terrible, high pitched screech... :shock: Dust came down from where they were just casually walking along a second ago... :big_eyes: I knew something was happening so I just started firing away... :cam: :cam: :cam:

Most of the shots came out blurred - as I had no idea this was about to happen! The settings on the camera was not ideal for these shots - but at least I can show you what happened.

The first shot I got...

...followed by:

While these cheetahs were casually walking along the dune, they must have stumbled across this little bat-eared fox! It must have started running and then the chase ensued. The cheetah was getting closer! :shock:

Oh my! "The poor little Batty" I was screaming in the car while rapid-firing my camera, "the cheetahs gonna kill it!". Not a batty... not a poor little batty... :pray:

...to be continued :whistle:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And so the chase continued...

... and the cheetah was gaining ground!

The cheetah reached out with its paw...

...and the Batty tripped and started rolling in the dust! :shock:

All of this happened so fast! They ran all the way from the top of the dune and were now very close to the road, about 200m behind us. After the Batty started rolling the cheetah slowed down. The Batty got its footing again, but the cheetah was already on it. The next shot shows the bravery of the cute little fox. And there was some serious growling accompanying this shot:

Just look at the body language! The Batty was standing its ground, and the cheetah... well the cheetah was not so sure anymore. Lionspoon just pointed it out to us that this was Elena and her offspring. I assume this cheetah had to be one of the young ones, because once she realised the others were not following, and she was alone with the Batty, she gave up!

The cheetah turned around...

...and started moving back up the dune towards the others.

"The Batty won!" :dance: :dance: :dance: "It survived to see another day!" :dance: :dance: :dance: I was celebrating for the life of the brave little Batty - you go Batty, you go! 8)

But then I looked up towards the other cheetahs and realised the action was not over yet... :big_eyes:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So after that exhilirating chase, the brave Batty was free and the young cheetah headed back to the other 3, still on the dune. It was then that I turned my attention to the three back on the dune... :shock:

There they were, lying peacefully, and ANOTHER Batty was with them, standing his ground, up against the tree. It must have been the other Bat-eared Fox's partner... :big_eyes:

Luckily, the 3 around him did not seem to be paying attention to him. That was untill the one that just returned from her chase arrived back on the scene... :slap:

It seems she was in the mood for Bat-eared Fox-pie. :| She soon had the Batty out from under the tree and on the defence. This time, one of her siblings also started paying attention...

... and soon, 2 became 3... :shock: ...against one brave Batty!

The chase was on... :big_eyes:

...but the teamwork was lacking! :slap:

And another brave Batty got away! :dance: What a day for the Batties! 8)

Mom had enough of the kids' fooling around, so she rounded them up and they got on their way again.

After all the excitement, we decided to leave the quartet, and move on to camp.Our next sighting was of a peaceful little BEF-family with little ones. Brave ones... :wink:

Our last sighting of the day was an immature PCG (Bleeksingvalk):

What an end to the day. What a day! It started with the lion on the dune close to Kij-Kij, then the 2 cheetahs at Melkvlei, and then the 4 cheetahs and 2 brave Bat-eared Foxes. We were smiling from ear-to-ear that evening around the braai, going on how lucky we were, how much we enjoyed the Batties winning, and how we loved the Kalahari... :D

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few last pics from the Southern part of the Nossob road...

Just loved seeing the Meerkats this year! :dance:

And then there was another big family - just look at all those chics...

...and there were more! :big_eyes: Struggled to get them all on one pic! At least mom and dad were there to try and keep an eye on all of them.

Today, it was however time to head up the Auob to Kalahari Tented Camp. The first part of the road over the dunes are often boring, but we decided to stop and enjoy some of the birdies.

First up - one of the only Pygmy Falcons (Dwergvalk) that we saw on this trip. We really saw much less than on our previous visit... :hmz: A "proof" pic:

The bird we always spot on this road - The Northern Black Korhaan (Witvlerkkorhaan) - always shy for the camera... :cam:

We also saw some Shrike-Summer-Visitors - the Red-Backed Shrike (Rooiruglaksman):

And the Lesser Grey Shrike (Gryslaksman):

An old common LBJ - Sabota Lark (Sabotalewerik):

And last but not least, the ever present Cape Crow (Swartkraai):

We've always experienced the Auob-side as a good area to spot cheetahs. To confirm our opinion, and to welcome us to the area, were these two - standing on top of the dune:

We probably stayed with them for about 20 minutes, but they decided to continue on their way towards the other side of the dune and out of sight. And we decided to move on to stretch legs at Auchterlonie.

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Auob Riverbed was beautifully green, and all along the way we enjoyed the beautiful colours of the Kalahari in summer.

Yellow flowers...

Pink flowers...

Yellow and red ones...

Flowerbushes....

A multitude of butterflies...

Is it not too beautiful? This arid place transformed into a colourful green place of life and joy!

The other thing we witnessed a lot of, were the Blue Wildebeest babies. We arrived on the scene numerous times shortly after a birth. And many other little beesties we saw could only have been a day or two old!

They were all enjoying the lush green riverbed...

Just look how green it was:

We really enjoyed the scenery, but as we headed North of Kamqua, we also started enoying more animal sightings...

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The other animals one tends to start seeing as you get closer to Mata-Mata, are the long necks...

We also saw some nice herds of herbivores - like these Red Hartebeest with their young ones...

...and another Springbok-herd:

Now with many herbivores, one should get many predators... :hmz: And as we got to Dalkeith, we finally found our lions! :dance:

They were lying very relaxed under a tree, it was now starting to become HOT! :redface:

Amongst them was one young male. He eventually got tired of his spot amongst the ladies, and decided to get up...

...and he walked closer to us! :dance:

But he was in no mood for action in the hot weather - just sniffing around for a cooler spot!

And doing more of what lions do best - sleep! :sleep:

It was also getting a bit hot in the car, and we decided to push on to Kalahari Tented Camp, our home for the next 2 days. We'd check in on these lions again later on our afternoon drive... :whistle:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After the lovely sighting of the lions at Dalkeith, it was time to move on. It was midday, and quite hot by now. But before arriving at KTC, we were first treated by a lovely Bateleur having a drink at Craig Lockhart.

He was a real poser! I've seen many pictures of other mites in KTP being so lucky as to get nice shots of these beautiful birds at waterholes. Today, it was my turn! :dance:

In this heat of the day, Bateleurs are not the only ones needing a drink... As this Springbok arrived, the Bateleur decided it was time to move on...

After a long morning, we finally arrived at our home for the next two days - KTP's Honeymoon tent. There was not a cloud in sight...

After such a long morning - this looked quite inviting:

So we unpacked, switched on the fan, and tried to get in a bit of a snooze. :sleep:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a short and hot nap, we got up again. Do not underestimate how hot it can become in one of these KTC tents at midday! :redface: I started missing the one thing I love doing in KNP in the hot midday - buying an ice-cream! :tongue: We took some of those long ice lollies in plastic with to freeze, but the gas freezer at KTC never managed to get them frozen in 2 days. :slap: So we opted for second best. Went to go fill up the car at Mata Mata and had an ice cold cold drink - GOOOOOD! 8)

Ready to go view those lions again? We were... :dance:

Luckily the sun moved in such a way that the shade was now cast in the direction of the road. So the pride moved closer to the road into the shade.

Despite it being so hot - lions still like spooning! :tongue:

We sat with this lovely strong female and her 4 subadult cubs for over an hour, maybe it was two... :hmz: One can get lost in the moment if your in the presence of these awesome beasts!

We did manage to get a few "headlifts"...

... a scratch or two...

...a stretch...

... and a sleepy stare.

On our way back to camp, I also got another nice photo opportunity I've been hoping for in KTP - the Swallow-tailed Bee-eaters (Swaelstertbyvreters):

The light was good, and they actually both managed to get insects at the same time! :dance:

And just as fast as they caught them, they both swallowed them as well! :tongue:

What a lovely day again. The Kalahari was good to us. Now for the perfect ending to such a day...

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a lovely night with good sleep, we got up early and were out on the road as soon as the gates opened. Our first sighting this morning, even before the sun was really up yet, was a newly born blue wildebeest. :D

The membranes were still hanging from the mom's rear end, and she was licking this little guy clean. "Happy birthday little one!" :bdaysmile:

What a special way to start a new day in the Kalahari! :D

Keeping a watchful eye on the insects awakening on this morning, was this Marico Flycatcher (Marico Vlieevanger):

Always ready for a pic to be taken! :tongue:

Now one of our hopes for this trip, was to expand our bird list a bit. And one of the species we still needed a few ticks on, was that of the cuckoos. So you can just imagine how excited we were when we spotted this guy in the area of Craig Lockhart:

He was flying around, calling out loudly. Our first Great Spotted Cuckoo (Gevlekte Koekoek)! :dance: And he was calling for a reason... He was not alone... :k

A mating pair of Cuckoos! :dance:

This morning was starting out great! We were just so happy to be in the KTP, with baby beesties being born, Cuckoos mating, and beautiful Lilac-breasted Rollers (Gewone Troupant) painting this morning with its beautiful colours...

Our joyful mood continued as we drove into the loop to Veertiende Boorgat. We saw 2 or 3 cars following this lady in our direction:

She must have just quenched her thirst at the waterhole and she was now on a determined walk back to where she came from.

If you ask me, she still had little cubs suckling from her - so I think she was heading straight to her den!

Now while we were following this determined lioness, we noticed some cars moving in the opposite direction - towards the waterhole. They were looking at something on the other side of the road. What could be better than this lion sighting??? :hmz:

We decided to drive a little bit forward (in order to turn around and follow the lioness further), and then I saw what the other cars were looking at... :big_eyes:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next