Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Fotomaljohan's B&D TO PAFURI IN 30 DAYS! KNP, Aug/Sept '13
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome one and all and I hope that you also enjoy this Trip Report with me as much as I enjoy writing it!

:think: :think: :think:

Ticking off yet another milestone on our virtual wishlist, this time to camp in Kruger National Park for a whole month, was really very “cool” as the younger generation would 'slang' this event that we enjoyed so much!

We did the final shopping at the Malelane Super Spar and entered the Park at the Malelane Gate at the beautiful Crocodile Bridge. Our first 5 night camp (of six camps) starting at Berg & Dal! Bliss!

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Post subject: Re: KNP - FROM BERG&DAL TO PAFURI IN 30 DAYS!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hallo all my old friends (and new ones), so glad you joined and welcome on board! Thank you all for visiting and commenting here on my trip report:

son godin – April is a green time with hardly any rain and a good month to visit KNP. We have done a trip in May some two years ago and the weather was very good!

Trrp – trrrrrrrr – sit tight!

Hoyle – 46 days – Wow! We have been in KNP in May and it's good! Still green and not so warm!

Colcol - to answer your question about the time of our trip through Kruger National Park this time around, we started on the 22nd August 2013 at Berg & Dal
for the first night.

Lion queen –

Meandering Mouse –

isinkwe –

Philip1 –
.....All welcome on board!

We planned this trip so long ago in advance and I can hardly believe that it has come and gone so quickly!

But here we are (for now!) at B&Dal gate!

When we approached B&D camp gate this Impala crossed right infront of us to welcome us!

Image38

It was very hot (about 38°C), so setting up camp was a perspiring affair! But with the beautiful B&Dal swimming pool so close by, we thoughroughly enjoyed cooling off in it.

The view of our camp from the roadside, with the “RATEL” (Honey Badger) bush trailer inside! Our home for the next ......more than a month!

I've had everything custom made to my design for our camp, from the trailer and the 7m x 7.2m ground sheet to the 7m x 7m overhead tent. (The large lightweight ground sheet proofed to be a winner.)

Our camp at night! (It can be easily closed completely for those very naughty Vervet monkeys – a must for KNP!)

The kitchen area!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for joining and following my Trip Report. (I will definitely have to hire a bigger bus, my Kombi Caravelle is simply just too small)

Carol g; isinkwe; PAPA SURF; Trrp-trrrrrrr; Meandering Mouse; one withnature; lion queen; Super Mongoose; Janeli; hilda (I am totally envious and wish I could see those rivers in flood and KNP so green! Also about your KTP iternary coming up soon); hoyle; Son godin (we travelled on the N1 to Jo'burg, stop over at Forever Gariep and Roodepoort, then N4 to Nelspruit. We did the Standerton route long ago, but the main highways are still much faster, despite the road works before and after Nelspruit.); Kaapsedraai (baie welkom buurman) & vinkie!
(I hope we can all meet one day!)

After setting up our camp , we took a stroll to the restaurant and started exploring the Berg & Dal main camp, so glad to be back in KNP again!

We decided to take a walk down the rhino trail next to the dam, so we wondered about this warning at the start of the trail near the restaurant area!! (Bottom left of picture)

We walked down this narrow pathway and came across a breeding herd of elephants.

Then we stopped at this memorial for game ranger Swart that was killed by a leopard and wondered about the warning on the sign board at the beginning of the rhino trail, to use the trail at own risk and preferably not after dark.

Some of the many beautiful chalets hidden amongst the trees that we stayed in on two previous occasions.

Until Later!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On our first morning, waking up in B&Dal, we decided to head north toward Afsaal Picnic area for a breakfast for our very first excursion into the park and found this rather large heard of Kudu just outside Berg & Dal.

We were very glad to see our first rhino and I am not sure for how long we will still be able to be fortunate enough to observe them in the wild!

Then we came across a very 'close' elephant family, huddled together, babies and all!

…...and a very protective mother!

This is all for now folks!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for "riding along" and helping me with the 'animal spotting' as I negotiate all the highways and byways of KNP and a special welcome to Pumbaa and Surf Cindy and the rest of the 'touring' party!

Next up was our breakfast at Afsaal Picnic area.

Then came all the squirrels, hornbills and other birds to a self invited feast the moment anybody leaves a table unattended.

This kudu with the long horns munching on the green leave tips, was one of many that we saw during our stay in KNP.

“Did I hear the word 'ugly, from someone perhaps?”

More next time!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Before we travel any further, I will have to do a Roll Call :think: of everyone that is travelling with us on the bus! Less we accidentally leave someone behind.

Trrp-trrrrrrr; Kaapsedraai;Philip1; Songodin; lion queen; Meandering Mouse; Super Mongoose; Pumbaa; isinkwe; SuperCindy; charbel; Wild about cats; DASSIEDELIGHT and Janeli.

Now that I have accounted (hopefully) for everyone on board, I want to thank you all so much for your time and for the very nice comments you left here in my Trip Report.

One day en route to Skukuza, we stopped at Renosterkoppies waterhole just in time to see a lone male lion in stalking mode, eyeballing a few impalas.

It did not take long, for these sensitive creatures to actually spot the lion where he was almost invisible and flat in the grass.

After the “bokkie” alarm was sound, the majority of the impalas decided it was safer to abandon the waterhole.......and the lion and move away to a safer distance!

However, two rather brave impala rams were not intimidated by the nearby lion and stayed at the waterhole, even looking at the disappointed lion.

After a while, with all the impalas gone, the hungry lion could only look at a dove remaining at the now deserted waterhole and had to start the waiting game all over again!

All for now folks! :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have completed our first 5 night stay at Berg & Dal all too soon and had to leave without seeing the beautiful leopard …..........

and the Doggies.............

…..........that we have seen here on previous occasions.

Our next 5 night stay was at Lower Sabie with lots of exciting events!

We drove the long way up north via Skukuza (brunch) and down to LS Camp all the way next to the beautiful Sabie river and past Sunset Dam.

At the turn off to Pretoriuskop on the way to Skukuza we have seen the klipspringers on previous occasions and luck was on our side again!

Also a giraffe pulling faces at us!

We made a pit stop at Skukuza to have a look at the controversial new hotel and to check if any progress was made with it.

The old railway bridge over the Sabie river from the Skukuza restaurant.

Lo and behold the new Mombolo Mdhluli Conference Centre was completed and functional.

Front view, main entrance!

Side view from the front stoep.

The right flank

Main entrance inside the foyer

Next up ….....Lower Sabie!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Once again, a big thank you to everyone looking and reading my Trip Report and especially thank you all for the very nice comments! :clap: :clap: :clap:

At last.....Lower Sabie! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Some of the various types of cottages. This is where we stayed once!

Some of the river front bungalows

Some more river front bungalows and my SO admiring the big tree!

September must be one of the warmest months of the year in KNP and this is the reason for us 'checking' out all the swimming pools in the camps.

….and a closer view!

My SO with the L/Sabie restaurant deck in the back ground! (What a place for a 'cold one' and some to eat!)

The deck with the shop on the left.

This is where I want to be now!

The view of the river with the hippo's grazing down below!

A view of our Lower Sabie camp for the 5 nights we are here, under a tree right next to the 'kitchen' and the ablutions just over the road.

….and from the other side!

…....and something to eat before we take on the open spaces of the Park! Our travel companions on the right of the picture.

This is enough for now, good night all!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you one and all for your kind comments!

Tobieo: It takes roughly an hour to set up camp, (it used to take longer, but my SO and I have worked out a strategy that limits the fighting drastically), but we can sleep in a half hour if we have to! About the same time as my caravan colleagues takes to get settled in!

We took a slow drive down to Croc bridge when we saw this lion on the bank of the Sabie river right next to the water. In the back ground in the river a crocodile was slowly swimming down river behind the lion.

He suddenly became interested in the lion and changed direction, now slowly approaching the lion!

The 'croc' disappeared out of sight behind the sandbank and we did not see him again.

We crossed the Lower Sabie low water bridge and went for a short drive.

View of the Lower Sabie camp restaurant from the low water bridge.

Just before sunset we went to the Sunset dam.

Every day toward the evening, a swarm of yellow billed storks gathered next to the dam.

To our surprise we saw this African spoonbill on the water's edge and a first for us!

This old guy was on the water's edge on our side of the dam, waiting for some action.

….and a closer look at this monster!

That's all for now!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Every couple of days I have to do a “Roll Call” to check if I have not driven off without leaving someone behind! :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

So here goes and a warm thank you for your comments and all the visits to this Trip Report. It makes it very special for me!

Cobol: Pikkie; Lion queen; Tobieo; Elsa; Son godin; isinkwe; Kaapsedraai;
Trrrp-Trrrrrrr; Pumbaa; Hilda; barryels; Meandering Mouse; SurfCindy; wild about cats & Tawny.

At Sunset dam we saw this hippo issuing a general 'challenge'!

….and then the 'contact' was on...... a threesome!

A solitary Fish eagle was eyeballing the dam from his perch!

Not too far from Sunset dam this Giraffe was finding it tough to get a drink of water.

On our way to Crocodile Bridge, we saw this, rather bedraggled young male lion. Notice the scar (one for the collection) on his cheek.

We left the Park via Croc Bridge to visit some friends living in Marloth Park just south of KNP.

Marloth Park's entrance gate'

On the way to our friends, we had to stop for this giraffe in the middle of the residential area of Marloth Park.

Coming back into KNP via the Croc bridge gate and low water bridge.

…..and the main gate entrance.

…..and the Crocodile bridge camp entrance (investigating for a possible future camping spot!)

Back at Lower Sabie, this monitor was right next to our tent.

…..and to conclude another wonderful day in KNP, I took these pictures at Sunset Dam.

Next up: The naughty lions!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all again for commenting and reading my Trip Report!

Still operating from Lower Sabie camp, we took a drive north toward Nkuhlu Picnic Area, when we arrived at a juvenile lion pride right in the middle of the road. We were more or less first, so we enjoyed more than what we hoped for!

Initially three young lions were in the road, when soon two more appeared out of the adjacent bushes.

It was fairly late afternoon and they seemed to be alert and active!

More cars started arriving, bur they stayed in the middle of the road!

Some of the lions started walking towards where we were and the rest also eventually followed and so did the cars from the front!

All of the lions walked lazily passed my kombi and disappeared out of sight behind the kombi. I could no longer see them, but was a little worried because of that!
A tourist from the cars in front, facing us, stopped next to me to inform me that he was of the opinion that a lion is taking a special interest in my car. I was worried that this lion was interested in my car's tyre, but he assured me that that was not the case.
So after a while, I could again see (through my rear window), two of the six lions walking away from my car..........

….......and eventually they continued blocking the traffic behind us.

Alas, a few days later my brother in Cape Town was surfing the “Kruger Park Latest sightings” webpage, when he found this photos published there and sent it to me with a question if it was not my kombi in the photo?

Here is the evidence!

I went to check the back of the bumper and of my car and this is what I saw!

Ah well, it could have been worse!

I have not had the car washed or repaired yet!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you one and all for your much appreciated views of my TR and the kind comments! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Pumbaa; jaytea; Meandering Mouse; Trrp-Trrrrrrr; Tawny; Philip1; Wild about cats; Leanawell; charbel; isinkwe; hilda; SurfCindy; lion queen; TobieO & Kaapsedraai

Now that you are all accounted for, we can start the bus! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lower Sabie Camp continue.

When driving through Kruger Park's highways and byways, many photo opportunities and surprises are just around every corner.

Like this guinea fowl for instance!

…..or this long horned kudu bull!

…..or these ever entertaining chacma baboons!

But just when you think nothing is happening, a civet runs across the road and you are not quite ready with the camera! (This was a 'first' for us!)

…....or the lilac breasted roller won't sit still for long enough!

When suddenly you see a spotted tail protruding from the long grass and your heart races and you must still manoeuvre the car for the best camera view!

….and you see a second cheetah behind the tree.........then you feel that to-day was (again) worth all the wait!

Good night from Lower Sabie low water bridge!

More next time!
:wink: :wink: :wink:

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To-day (still operating from Lower Sabie Camp), breakfast at the ever popular Mlondozi Picnic Site is on our menu, so to speak!

The food just tastes so much better with a view like this!

The 'bush restaurant' was operating almost at capacity!

Then came the ellies for a drink!

…...and on the opposite side of Mlondozi dam, the hippos were having a mud bath while the waterbucks were the silent onlookers!

The waterbucks were trying their level best to try and hypnotise the crocodile!

DO NOT FORGET:

Last edited by Fotomaljohan on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From Mlondozi we drove to Orpen Dam, but not before we had to reverse a long way to avoid this very imposing threat marching towards us. (I did not fancy more animal markings and imprints on my Kombi – Lol!)

Phew! Was I happy to detect a slight deviation in his targeted course after a while, but an intimidating sight never the less!

Round trip via Tshokwane and Nkuhlu to be continued!!!

Arriving at Orpen dam, (lots) more hippos entertained us, with a big herd of elephants on the left side of the dam.

After a hippo brawl, the paramedics appeared to clean up the hippo wounds sustained!

From Orpen dam, we went to (the even more popular) Tshokwane for a pit stop!

We were under strict surveillance while having something to eat!

My friend thought it wise to assist with the stirring of the “pap pot”! (SO observing from the middle of the picture!)

Don't go away too far!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We left Tshokwane and saw our first small herd of sable antelope in the bush and almost too far for a photo! (Another first for us!)

Also a couple of giraffes eyeballing us from a distance.

…...with the tick removal squad hitch hiking a lift!

Image..

…..and a cute little steenbokkie next to the road.

We stopped at Nkuhlu Picnic site and admired the Sabie river view..........

….....when I saw this water monitor next to the river.

End of another (good) day in paradise!

The highlight of our trip coming up next!

DO NOT FORGET:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next