Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: KNP - FROM BERG&DAL TO PAFURI IN 30 DAYS!
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you all for your visits and comments! :clap: :clap:

More photo moments of the lovely Shingwedzi area! This time on our way to the Red Rocks route! (What a beautiful drive!)

This toothless elephant in the Shingwedzi river bed just outside the camp!

Another huge bull ellie with a broken tooth!

…..and a fleeting glimpse of a nyala bull.

Lots of buffalo in this area as well!

Staring at us from a camouflaged vantage point!

Arriving at the Red Rocks view point where one can “alight your vehicle at own risk”!

Some lion tracks at the very place we were standing at Red Rocks and now I can understand that sighn that says: “You may alight your vehicle at own risk!”

We got back into the safety of our car and drove back to the tarred road en route to Shingwedzi where we saw this typical Kgalagadi sighting – a Kori bustard.

Another one of many road blocks up ahead!

Yet another lone elephant!

Good night all for the last time from Shingwedzi! Only 5 more nights at Punda Maria and then a final good bye via the Pafuri Gate!

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We got up early and decided to do one more round trip via that beautiful Red Rocks route before we break up camp and transfer (for the last time) to Punda Maria!

…...a very nice giraffe road block in front!

This is surely elephant country with this large breeding herd of elephants under an enormous tree!

Next up was this odd “couple” (two bulls), one with a (apparently) bitten off trunk and the other with only one tooth!

Here is “Shorty” close up!

….and “Toothless”, but with one very long single tooth!

….and this elephant a little too large for “hide & seek”!

A nyala bull ran across the road.........

….followed by his girlfriend!

I have to include some of these 'tree dwellers' in my TR!

Watching the “ground show” from the tree tops!

The symbol of freedom (for me) – A Fish Eagle!

Next up – Punda Maria – an under estimated camp!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
Time for probably the second last “Roll Call” to welcome and thank everyone for being on board and for all the kind comments and visits to my trip report! It is all your wonderful contributions that made writing this worth while!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you again one and all! :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Thank you to: lion queen; [b]Meandering Mouse; tedredrum; PitSkiet; Janeli; Wild about cats; DASSIEDELIGHT; Riaanf 31; Kaapsedraai; hilda; Trrp-trrrrrrr; tent dweller; Pumbaa; umtali1; isinkwe; Cape of Storms; barryels; SurfCindy; QueenBee – (I can recommend Punda Maria); cheetahlady
[/b]

We arrived at the northern most camp in KRUGER for a (last) five night stay and the we will exit the Park via the Pafuri gate for one night at Tshipise and then Roodepoort and finally home!

The entrance gate at Punda Maria.

We set up camp and found things a little different to all the other Kruger camps.

But like all the camps in Kruger, the ablutions is in very good nick and very clean.
Another view of the terrain and our camp site!

…....and a closer view!

…..and the 'roomy' inside of our camp and “upstairs' bedroom with the ladies ready to prepare something to eat!

The next morning we explored Punda Maria (probably the most nostalgic camp name in the whole of KRUGER!

The reception and the shop!

The old fashion chalets is unique to this camp.

The swimming pool from above!

Punda has a real traditional rock pool for swimming........and did we swim, because the temperature was in the upper thirties every day!

…..so nice!

Tomorrow I have to go to Thohoyandou (have never been there), exit at the Punda Maria gate, to buy two new tyres.

The northern sunset in KNP!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:gflower: :gflower: :gflower: Thank you everyone for being on board and for being patient for the delivery of this episode! My wish and hope is that I will have the privilege to meet some of you one day in one of the wild places that we all love so much!

We went out at the Punda gate to go to Thohoyandou (have never been there), to buy two new tyres for the Kombi one day. WARNING & ADVISE: If you have an odd size tyre on your car, take an extra tyre with! My tyres had to come from Louis Trichardt and a very long wait and extra $$$$!!

The PUNDA gate reception!

The view back into the Park!

Thohoyandou is a surprisingly large town with a massive population and this rather imposing ethnic African pot (VENDA people live here!), on the traffic circle in the main road!

….and a closer view of this African art on a large scale!

Back at Punda Maria camp: A beautiful pond near the reception area!

More photos in (and of) the camp terrain and the chalets.

Punda Maria is blessed with it's own waterhole and hide and may I add, a very active one!
We saw a large herd of buffalo coming to drink water one evening and several herds of elephants, kudu's, hyenas and some of the KRUGER parks regulars. Vervet monkeys tried to raid us several times and succeeded at least once by discharging our bread flower all over our campsite!

Punda Maria also have the strangest (for us from CT) looking guineafowls!

This will be my second last post of this epic 30 day stay (for us) in six wonderful camps of the Kruger National Park!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: FINAL POST: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: THANK YOU! :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

A very special THANK YOU to everyone below for visiting, reading and leaving those welcome and informative comments here on my Trip Report! Your kind contributions made writing and posting photos a great pleasure! I hope I will meet you one day somewhere in our National parks!

Great to have had you all on board! Tent dweller; Cape of Storms; QueenBee; Trrp-trrrrrrr; SurfCindy; jaytea; tedredrum; barryels; lionqueen; LesleyWilson; Pumbaa; isinkwe; umtali1; cheetahlady; john n poppy; hilda; Kaapsedraai; Meandering Mouse!

To - day we are packing up at Punda Maria with a heavy heart, because it is also the end of 30 glorious days of camping in KNP in six different camps!

WE are driving further north/north west from Punda to exit the Park via the PAFURI gate.

A few more elephants came to greet us farewell!

Another ellie roadblock that we became so familiar with the past 30 days!

This rather large bull tried to camouflage himself in the Mopani's.

Nearer to the Levuhu river, the flood damage from the January 2013 floods were very apparent still!

Flood damage!

….and more signs of the enormous floods in January 2013!

BAOBAB........, the trademark tree of the north of KNP.

Arriving at PAFURI! View from inside the Park!

The view from the 'outside' of the PAFURI camp at the Reception!

…..and “Yours Truly” saying goodbye at the Pafuri Gate to one and all!

We have though roughly enjoyed this very epic stay in KNP. We can recommend camping in KNP (a first for us); We have heard lions roar in ALL six camps at night; We have seen 40 lions; two leopards only; 5 very large herds of buffaloes; a civet (a first for us); Lots of Kudus; 75% of all KNP's elephants (Lol!) and so many of all the wild animals KNP has to offer!

After a very long haul with overnight stops we have reached “Home sweet home”!
This is the view of Table Mountain from our balcony approx. 30 kms away!

We are privileged and fortunate to (on the spur of the moment), go to Augrabies National Park for two nights this Mon and Tue (24th &25th) to view a spectacle of the Orange River in flood, reaching the Augrabies Falls this coming week-end!

I can also humbly announce that we are also due to visit the Botswana Kgalagadi (Mabuasehube - a first for us), at the end of April 2014 for 10 nights!

DO NOT FORGET:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3