SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diagnosed a Kruger Addict
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The leopard on the rock is a magnificent sighting

although the pygmy kingfisher and the two quite impressive male lions are also brilliant :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What incredible cat sightings.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: all so close and personal. You must have been so excited.

I do love your other sightings as well. Everything is such a treat.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Here kitty kitty .... no I'm talking to myself being to green :mrgreen: about your Pigmy......

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa wrote:
The leopard on the rock is a magnificent sighting

although the pygmy kingfisher and the two quite impressive male lions are also brilliant :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Pumbaa, it's hard to choose which one is my favourite.

Meandering Mouse wrote:
What incredible cat sightings.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: all so close and personal. You must have been so excited.

I do love your other sightings as well. Everything is such a treat.

Thanks MM for your kind comments and continued support for my TR. I am glad I am able to share what, I consider, incredible sightings with everyone.

NetEk wrote:
Here kitty kitty .... no I'm talking to myself being to green :mrgreen: about your Pigmy......

Thanks NetEk.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 5

Five days into our trip, just over half way, and we had not seen one single YR besides our own. Where were all these mites hiding :naughty: We decided to do the Marula loop as a morning drive. Then head back to camp to pack up before we move to our new home, and one of my favourite camps, Lower Sabie, where we would spend the next two nights.
About 30 minutes into the drive, a kind gentleman stopped and told us about a wild dog sighting. He said we might not see the two dogs as they had moved off into the bush. We thanked him and moved on in hope of spotting them but didn't bank on it as knew full well how quickly the bush can change. So we stopped for feathered friends of all kinds, dwarf mongoose in the road. Boy are those little guys lightning quick when suddenly something came darting out the bush......lo and behold it was two wild dogs.

IMG_0604 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0609 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0621 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

They seemed quite unsettled, constantly weaving from the left side to to the right side of the road, looking around. We saw what they were looking for, when a third one came into view and then a forth, fifth and sixth. They came in one by one and soon there were a total of nine dogs and the greeting frenzy began.

IMG_0162 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

They looked so happy and excited to see each other. It was such a special moment to witness.
After the dogs had reunited with each other, we followed them down the road for a few km's, when all of a sudden the leader flopped down and the rest followed suit. They obviously had had enough of running around and it was time to catch some beauty sleep.

IMG_0175 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0658 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0672 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0680 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0681 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0682 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

What a great start to the day. We got back to camp, very happy with the morning so far. With a spring in all of our steps we packed the car, had some breakfast and planned our route to Lower Sabie. We couldn't leave without a detour to one of the best places in Kruger, Lake Panic.

A lovely sighting of the African jacana walking on water.

IMG_4979 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A black crake looking for some breakfast.

IMG_0728 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A thick billed weaver hiding in the reeds.

IMG_0698 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A green-backed heron chilling out on the edge of the water.

IMG_0745 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The resident goliath heron was no where to be seen but still a very worthwhile stop. It's amazing how peaceful it is, sitting in the hide just watching nature unfold in front of you. If I could, I would have spent the whole day but we had to get a move on and so left Lake Panic and continued on our way along the river to Lower Sabie.
Our drive was filled with impalas, giraffe, a lilac breasted roller, woodland kingfishers, european rollers and an elephant family crossing the road

IMG_0209 (2) by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_0778 (2) by rcferreiras, on Flickr

heading off into the bush to feed.

IMG_0752 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We arrived at camp, checked in and unpacked our goodies into our river bungalow.
Ah time to sit back, put the feet up and reminisce about what fabulous sightings we had experienced and seen so far.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow- that's some wild dog sighting. What a privilege to be able to watch them greeting one another.
That must have nearly been your favourite sighting. Mind you - leopard on rock, lions, pygmy kingfisher,trumpeter hornbill - the list goes on in choosing a favourite. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:14 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Awesome Wild Dog pics. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gorgeous :cam: of the feathered friends. 8)

Those Ellie are super. :thumbs_up: ..Love the little ones they are extra cute. :dance:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is really incredible to witness the wild dog ritual. 8) That is special and great :cam: :thumbs_up:

Now that baby ellie is the cutest. What is it about baby animals that leaves a smile all over the face?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The spotted cat is a real beauty. And the painted dogs are an absolutely highlight :big_eyes:

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Beautiful doggies!!!!! :gflower:

Great variety of birds.
Miss Kruger so much when looking at the ellie herds.
So typical!!! Thanks for sharing. We relive the wonder through your TR.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

impyim wrote:
Wow- that's some wild dog sighting. What a privilege to be able to watch them greeting one another.
That must have nearly been your favourite sighting. Mind you - leopard on rock, lions, pygmy kingfisher,trumpeter hornbill - the list goes on in choosing a favourite. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Still trying to decide which one is my favourite but the next episode might help :whistle:

Meandering Mouse wrote:
It is really incredible to witness the wild dog ritual. 8) That is special and great :cam: :thumbs_up:

Now that baby ellie is the cutest. What is it about baby animals that leaves a smile all over the face?

MM many people say the park is too hot and wet in December but that is why it is one of my favourite times.....all the little ones, and the ellies are just the cutest.

Toddelelfe wrote:
The spotted cat is a real beauty. And the painted dogs are an absolutely highlight :big_eyes:

Thanks Toddelelfe, they spoiled us for sure, showing themselves like that.

Janeli wrote:
Beautiful doggies!!!!! :gflower:

Great variety of birds.
Miss Kruger so much when looking at the ellie herds.
So typical!!! Thanks for sharing. We relive the wonder through your TR.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Janeli for following my TR and all the kind comments. Makes it worth writing a TR.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
SurfCindy wrote:
a kind gentleman stopped and told us about a wild dog sighting.

That is the Kruger spirit, so nice when that happens, I also always try to help fellow Krugerparkers with some special sightings :thumbs_up: It gives me great joy to be able to share Kruger and her animals with others :D
Always special to meetImage they really were Image to all meet up againImage

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:17 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Had to catch up from the 7th because we were in the bush since that day and back again :tongue: .

You guys had sightings that you only dream of :shock: . Amazing leopard, lion and painted doggie sightings :clap: :clap: .

Your click-click sounded birdie is actually a Red-crested Korhaan, SC :thumbs_up: .

We had so many sightings of them during our last visit and just had to photograph them every time. It is so funny when they look you in the eye and start with that clicking sound, followed by that squeaking sound. Just for interest sake, the Black- bellied Bustard has white cheeks and a black stripe long the foreneck.

Really enjoy your TR and looking forward to the stay at one of most loved camps as well :popcorn: .

We were again lucky with yellow ribbons and met 8 whilst in the park :D. Have to wait for our TR to see who they were :roll: .

Hope we meet again some day :whistle: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
SurfCindy wrote:
DAY 5

Five days into our trip, just over half way, and we had not seen one single YR besides our own. Where were all these mites hiding :naughty:

SurfCindy....... :hmz: perhaps LS will produce one YR...let you tell the story.... :hmz:

I wish to commend you for a lovely TR accompanied with great pics. Thank you for taking the time sharing. :dance:

Those Wild Doggies - just an amazing sighting and wish time will stand still while observing them. See you managed to get some great pics.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lake Panic, agree, when at Skukuza, one must make a detour via Lake Panic. Seems you had a great time there with lovely birdies. :dance:

Now for the sad news - I lost all my pics - data recovery was unsuccessful. :cry: :cry: SO suggested that I go back to do some 'recovery work'....now my mind working overtime. I retired end last year and started off with a small business, hence fortunately have the time to go again - probably within the next few weeks... :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

isinkwe wrote:
That is the Kruger spirit, so nice when that happens, I also always try to help fellow Krugerparkers with some special sightings :thumbs_up: It gives me great joy to be able to share Kruger and her animals with others :D
Always special to meetImage they really were Image to all meet up againImage

Thanks Isinkwe, I agree with the Kruger spirit, although sometimes it doesn't work out, we always try and let people know about special sightings along the road.

barryels wrote:
Had to catch up from the 7th because we were in the bush since that day and back again :tongue: .

You guys had sightings that you only dream of :shock: . Amazing leopard, lion and painted doggie sightings :clap: :clap: .

Your click-click sounded birdie is actually a Red-crested Korhaan, SC :thumbs_up: .

We had so many sightings of them during our last visit and just had to photograph them every time. It is so funny when they look you in the eye and start with that clicking sound, followed by that squeaking sound. Just for interest sake, the Black- bellied Bustard has white cheeks and a black stripe long the foreneck.

Really enjoy your TR and looking forward to the stay at one of most loved camps as well :popcorn: .

We were again lucky with yellow ribbons and met 8 whilst in the park :D. Have to wait for our TR to see who they were :roll: .

Hope we meet again some day :whistle: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Hi Barry and welcome back. I hope you had a lovely time in the Park and look forward to reading your next TR. Thank you for the correction, I get so confused between the two, even with the help of my bird ID book :redface: Your tip might make it easier now, thanks :thumbs_up:
Lowe Sabie produced a sighting of a lifetime, so keep reading. :whistle:

Kaapsedraai wrote:
SurfCindy....... :hmz: perhaps LS will produce one YR...let you tell the story.... :hmz:

I wish to commend you for a lovely TR accompanied with great pics. Thank you for taking the time sharing. :dance:

Those Wild Doggies - just an amazing sighting and wish time will stand still while observing them. See you managed to get some great pics.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lake Panic, agree, when at Skukuza, one must make a detour via Lake Panic. Seems you had a great time there with lovely birdies. :dance:

Now for the sad news - I lost all my pics - data recovery was unsuccessful. :cry: :cry: SO suggested that I go back to do some 'recovery work'....now my mind working overtime. I retired end last year and started off with a small business, hence fortunately have the time to go again - probably within the next few weeks... :D

Thank you so much for your lovely kind comments throughout the TR. It always makes it so much more worthwhile when you can share your joy with others and its appreciated.
So sad to hear about your terrible news :cry: but at least that now gives you a reason to go back and visit the park again so soon. I have to wait another 112 days :wall: :wall:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next