Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: PietSkiet's Operation Cheetah hunt - KNP, Sept. '13
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm 

Where to start? Maybe a quick background.
My SO and I hooked up in 2006 after knowing each other a while and for our first trip away I decided to introduce her to the magic that is the Kruger National Park. It was my first trip in many years and we couldn't believe that we missed out on the magic for so long. Underneath a starry sky in Satara that December night we made a pack that we will visit the park at least once a year for as long as we can. We broke this pack only once in 2009 when our eldest was born but made up with more than one trip a year in the future.

Because of our boys being young (4 & 2) and Decembers getting very hot (only time of year both of us can take substantial leave) we decided that our next couple of trips will be cut to a maximum of 4 nights. This also meant that we won't be visiting more than 2 camps at a time.

In all the trips since 2006 we only had one Cheetah sighting and we decided that it is going to be our mission to find this magnificent spotted cat.

So we booked 3 nights in Satara sleeping our first night on 21 September 2013. Dreading to wake up early and make the long trip all the to Satara I suggested we book the Friday night in guest house near one of the gates. The "guest house" became Biyamiti camp and we have now everything planned to leave on 20 September. :dance: extra night in Kruger organised. The initial plan was to leave our home on the East Rand at about 9am after the traffic settled. In June we stayed with friends at Kruger gate and noted all the roadworks on the N4 and the departure time changed to 6am. We left our driveway exactly 2:57am.

Kids fast asleep and surprisingly my SO stayed awake. As we go through the Middelburg plaza the reality of going to our home away from home sets in. A quick stop for coffee at Alzu and we decide to take the scenic route over Long Tom. A beautiful road and so glad we took this route. Before we knew it we arrive at the Kruger Gate.

WE ARE BACK, let the hunting begin.....

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 23 September 2014
Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Post subject: Re: Operation Cheetah hunt - Trip report
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am 

So as we left the gate it did not take long before the first traffic jam. "Someone saw a leopard somewhere."
We drove on as I am not one for traffic jams unless it is a real special sight and the animals are easy to see.
On we went for a quick stop at Lake Panic. On the walkway there was the most beautiful Nyala bul, but we could get a good photo through the fence
The hide was quite busy and the boys not in a mood to sit still, so not wanting to disturb the guests we moved on to stretch some legs at Skukuza but on the bridge before the camp
And my two year old's favourite animal. He was very excited and one of his first proper words he could pronounce was "buffel"
On the N1 to Lower Sabie we experienced the locals in the river bed
The the SANparks logo
And his smaller cousin
Now you won't believe but just after the bushbuck we saw another beautiful Nyala bul but with two toddlers in the car you do not always get to take some pictures. We did not see another one the entire trip :wall:

Just before Nkhulu our first ellies

Now this was an amazing sight without photos, there were a couple of ellies fast asleep and the one in the picture was making his bed and went down for a nap as well. First time I see ellies lying down in the middle of the day. But due to the gradient down to the river we could not capture the sleeping ellies.

On we went for burger flipping at Nkhulu

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 am 

Just to quickly touch on Nkuhlu. We were there in June and the monkeys pestering the guests was horrible and they got really aggressive towards children. I was very pleased to see that there were no monkeys this time around. I asked the staff and they told me that the problem was solved. Well done Nkuhlu.

As we left Nkuhlu we had plenty imps, kudu and ellies as well as some raptors.

I think this is a Tawny eagle, please correct me if I am wrong
And what I initially thought to be a Lapped face turning out to be a White-headed vulture
Then a first for me on the Ben Schoeman between Skukuza and Lower Sabie
And no not the first time we saw lions on this road, but it was in the middle of the day and there were no other cars :big_eyes: and while enjoying the sight we had numerous cars passing us

At Sunset dam this guy was on the opposite side of the road not looking healthy at all
He was not there the next morning.
Some locals at the dam

With the tummies being full the boys were asleep and we went straight onto the S28 in search of the spotted cats. But as we turned on the road we did not have much hope as the car temperature was over 40 degrees.

We saw some Zebs and Kudus and evidence of another spotted friend

As it was extremely hot and day starting to become long we did not hang around to long.

At the bridge at Gezantfombi dam a Terrapin
And then my wife noticed in the tree above us the highlight of the day

Only the second Veraux's Eagle Owl for us. :dance:

On we went to Biyamiti.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:26 pm 

As the heat sank in the locals on the S25 were feeling the same as everyone in the car

We arrived at Biyamiti, WOW!!!
My first experience at a bush camp and one I will never forget as this place is magical.
We unpacked the car and my SO decided to take a nap. The boys were so happy to run around and I "gooied" myself a lekker dop. Our view from unit 3

So SO was taking her nap, the boys were enjoying themselves, I had a dop in hand, a view of a Saddle-billed stork, waterbuck and kudu's. There were ellies bathing nearby and fish eagles on either side of the camp calling.
Boy oh boy this is the life.
Now I was able to sit there the whole afternoon but this is the trouble of staying in a camp for 1 night. I honestly believe you have to stay in a camp at least 2 nights but preferably 3. We really wanted to see the 18km stretch up to Biyamiti weir and we were not going to go that way the next morning. So around 4pm we hit the road and got to see one of my favourite birds
And a real special these days
At the weir we were greeted by a hammerkop and the famous fish eagle

We went back to camp to enjoy a wonderful spare rib braai surrounded by the calls of a scops owl and an african nightjar.
This camp will definitely see us again in the future and our first experience here will never be forgotten.
Off to bed we go to get ready for a BIG DAY!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:32 pm 

21 September 2013 - First full day in the park
With the kids growing up we travelled very light this time around and left Biyamiti with sadness in our hearts around 10 min after the camp gates opened.
Now the S25 is one of my favourite roads to drive early morning and today we would only have a 5km stint on this road, but yet again it did not disappoint with a lovely first sight for the morning
And a lonely imp
And then my eye caught this guy, but he got up and walked off into the bush
A vehicle from Lukimbi joined us and told us there is another one behind the bushes, but we got a very good view and moved one. 1km further down (still on the S25) this girl crossed the road
We had a very good sight of her and waited to take a pic as she crossed, but she scampered across very quickly and I caught her just in time with the "mik & druk". Still a very nice leopard sight and had we stayed with the Lions longer we properly would have missed her.

Up to Lower Sabie we saw quite a bit of general game. As stated before today was cold and Sunset dam was very quite. There were some life on the bridge crossing Sabie though
And a another favourite of mine
Onwards we went on the H10, another love hate road of mine but today it turned out to be very productive
And a cheeky little guy

Boy it is fun in Kruger

Around the next corner some real Kruger magic was awaiting us...

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am 

Highlight of the day
So onwards we went on the H10 and all of a sudden I noticed a reedbuck on the right hand side of the road. She was very shy and moving in behind bushes and we really struggled to get a pic. As we moved slowly forward my SO noticed two more on the left hand side of the road. Once again she was struggling to get a pic and then all of a sudden I saw this guy (might have been a girl) relaxing on the right hand side of the road.
Cheetah hunt successful :dance: :dance: He was quite deep in, but a Cheetah is a Cheetah and we were very exited.
He then looked the other way

And then he noticed something

All of a sudden he looked very interested

Our sight was slightly obscured by some bushes and we pulled the car slightly forward and then noticed this

The original reedbuck was strolling along towards the Cheetah very relaxed.
But then she noticed the Cheetah

The Cheetah knew he had to make his move

Before we knew it the real cheetah hunt was on. We were so overwhelmed about what was happening that we did not get any pics.

The reedbuck side stepped and turned 180 degrees without any effort and I realised the Cheetah was in trouble. Thinking out loudly I uttered "go cheetah" to which my 4 year old immediately replied with "go bok"

It was over very quickly and the reedbuck got away. Everyone in the car was extremely excited. The boys due to the reedbuck getting away and SO and I due to the pure majesty that both animals displayed.
We would have loved to see a kill but to witness a cheetah at full speed is something I will never forget.

Thank you Kruger for the magic you give us.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 pm 

So onwards we went to Tshokwane. Shortly after the cheetah sight we encountered a lovely lady from the states who told us that we just missed a Honey Badger. You win some, you lose some. I am generally not to bothered about missed sights as Kruger will give you those magic moments in due course.

The rest of the road was quite, but we did get to see more Ground Hornbills

Up towards Nkumbe we were looking for Klipspringers but to no avail :cry: A very special antelope and it turned out that we had none for the trip.

At Tshokwane it was very cold and windy and we decided not to make brunch :cry: A big daily tradition I hate to miss. I took the boys to the loo and SO ordered us some toasties. Really tasty but then the guys next to us got them some of the famous kudu roll's :wall: How could we forget about them!!

We were now in 3 minds. S36 (one of my favourite roads), the H1-3 or Trichardt Road? We took the quite option and went with Trichardt Road. The road was very quite as usual and I just love this road due to no other cars around.

We always see at least one of these on this road

A bit further down a noticed a car with tourists standing around :naughty:. But on closer inspection they had a flat. I know the rules is to wait for another car but on this road you can literally wait days and then for the other car to contact someone can take a couple of hours as they were far in, so I did understand their situation and they were just about fixed up.

The rest of the road was really quite and the boys needed the loo so we skipped Sweni hide :cry: .
Some more choices at N'wanetsi but we went with the S41, S100 option, a road generally good for us.

About 7km onto the S41 just before you cross the N'Wanetsi river there is a loop of about 200m to take, we decided to have a look and guess who was lying on the otherside of the river bed.
And very politely moved into the open

It looked like two young males and we spent quite a bit of time with them as everyone was skipping the loop and it was really relaxed and quite. I think they might become a big factor in the coming years.

Shortly after we saw this.
I know the picture is extremely bad, but this it time it definitely was a lapped face :dance:

Onto the S100 and the road was extremely quite with very few animals on the road
We did however catch this family of banded mongoose in the river bed
I know the pictures aren't great, but there were around 20 of them and we really enjoyed the interaction.

We knew that today we will stay in camp after we unpacked as we had 3 nights in Satara so made a quick stop at Nsemani before we entered the camp.
With the cold weather it was quite at the dam and we turned around in the small loop just west of the dam and got a very nice surprise

We went to camp to unpack and had a very relaxing afternoon. We through some lamb chops on the braai and capped off another great day in paradise.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 pm 

22 September 2013 - Coldest in the Kruger, EVER!,

Going to bed the previous night we were hoping for a warmer day today, but it was not to be, and to make things worse a terrible wind was blowing. The weather was to put it simple just plain "misluk" and not good for birding at all.

We headed north on the H1-4 and then turned onto the S90 as there were a couple of doggie sightings on this road the last two days and we thought if we want to catch them it will properly be early morning.

Our first visitor confirmed how cold it was

The rest of the road was extremely quite, we did not even see imps, I think the long grass played a big role as well.

The only other animal we saw was some ostriches, but I am not very big on them, maybe it has to do with an experience I had on a game farm a couple of years ago.

We took the S89 back to the H1-4 and kept going north towards Olifants.
Just as we passed the S91 turnoff we noticed a small traffic jam.

SO and I thought it was properly ellies causing the jam due to the lack of sightings on the day
We were WRONG

This big boy was fast asleep.

Onwards to Olifants where we wanted to make brunch but yet again the weather did not play along. The restaurant was full so got some take away toasties again and decided to take the H1-4 back to Satara.

The leopard was still there, but this time much more cars and we just drove through. The people properly thought we are crazy

At the Olifants river crossing there were a lonely hippo in the river
And a lovely ellie family
And a small lady just on the other side

On we went back to Satara

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm 

Thanks again for all the replies and everyone sharing this great trip with us.

Those elephants was properly the nicest sight of the lot, but you just don't get the same effect on camera as you do in real life.

Regarding the weather, I must say we were very fortunate with our sights on this day and the highlight of the day still needs to come up!? I spoke to brother that evening who were staying in Letaba the exact same time by co-incidence and he said their day was terrible. They literally had two sights, a hyena leaving the camp in the morning and the same one coming into camp the evening. He also said that it was most likely a "steak & chop" hyena as he was seen close to the camping sight.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm 

The H1-3 had much more general game on it as the S90 and the ride down was quite enjoyable.
We saw this raptor and help with the identification will be appreciated as these all look the same to me.
Then 10km before you get to Satara just after you cross a small little stream there was a bit of a traffic jam and some lazy ladies resting.

Now the advantage of the cold weather is that the kids actually preferred the car as they had play pit in the boot and it was not getting to hot in the car. So we took a quick loo break for the boys and got them some ice cream (it is never to cold for ice cream).

The sightings board once again showed that the H6 was the place to be for some Cheetah so off we went.

Now there is about a 2km stretch on the H1-3 when you cross the N'Wanetsi river before you get to the H6 turnoff, and if ever there is something like a favourite 2km stretch in the park, this must be very close to being mine. The large trees on the river side is absolutely spectacular.
There were some more lazy lions as well but it was extremely crowed and not a pretty sight at all so we just drove through and saw this bateleur in one of the mentioned trees.
As we drove off he turned to show his face :wall:

Onto the H6 in search for Cheetahs and then came the highlight of the day:
Mom nearby
It is oh so cold

I am a real sucker for hyenas and definitely one of my favourite animals. I also get the feeling that you do not see them as often as a couple of years ago.

Onto N'wanetsi for a quick stop
Another Lapped face from the viewpoint and another bad picture.

We decided to try the S41 and S100 again
A bbj couple came running down the road on a mission but could not get them in the same picture. This was another sight I thoroughly enjoyed.

The S100 was disappointing again with the only nice sight a far away Martial eagle feeding

Our final loop of the day which I am not going to mention had some good general game, another bbj and these guys to end the day.

That night we had a chicken flatty on the braai. The wind was settling down by braai time and we were hopeful for a better day weather wise when we take on the park again tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 am 

23 September - Final full day in and warming up

We woke up this morning with the weather still overcast, but definitely warmer and virtually no wind to speak off. Now for a little confession.
I was in a very happy mood this morning and while getting everything ready for the day I felt like a dop. I can't remember the last time I had a dop at 5:30 in the morning, but it was properly in my student days and back then it was definitely not my first for the day. I quickly understood why I didn't have one so early for a very long time but good to feel like a student again :twisted:

So this morning we took the H7 and then the S39 up towards Timbavati. The day started off with some good general game and on the S39 a nice Martial Eagle
Followed by a giraffe and kudu

Then a defence force vehicle came speeding past, properly around 70km/h. It was a bakkie with a number of soldiers and rangers on the back chatting away loudly with two dogs as well. They would stop every 5 km or so along the Timbavati river and driving deep into the bush dropping one or two guys off, so they passed us quite often. Now I understand what needs to be done, but I believe it must as far as possible be done in such a way that the guests and animals are not disturbed. Needless to say we did not see much for the rest of the road.

That being said, when we approach Timbavati picnic spot it started to drizzle, but it was not going to stop us making brunch a third day in a row and at the picnic spot I was in my element.
With the boys enjoying their brunch

With our tummies full we left the picnic spot and took the S127 back to the H1-4 and knew we were guaranteed some locals.

And the highlight of the day, a pearl-spotted owlet

We took the H1-4 back to Satara, and continued on the H1-3.
A big croc crossing the N'Wanetsi river

We decided to continue to the Sweni river as we might be lucky with a leopard. From the main road we saw some dagga boys on the S125 and had a quick look.

There were some ellies as well. We did not get a photo of this as I took a video, but a youngish bull with no effort at all pushed over a tree to get to the roots. It is unbelievable how much power these animals have.

We then went back up north and took the H6 in search of some Cheetahs again

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am 

Thanks again everyone for sharing.

That Kudu was a beaut, and notice the white tips on the horns, which to me is an indication of a real "meneer"

The pearl spotted owlet was very special and I think it is only our second ever.

And boy oh boy do I feel like a real Kruger skottel breakfast this morning.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 am 

So we continued onto the H6, a Cheetah hotspot the couple of days we were at Satara and we were hoping for them or maybe even the hyenas again.
First a giraffe family
More ground hornbills

And then

Another Cheetah :dance: :dance: , the hunt was very much successful, two cheetah sightings in one trip, which is very special to us considering our track record.
We stayed there a while and as this was about 5km from N'Wanetsi picnic spot we quickly went up and returned with the Cheetah now looking the other way
And then turned back again.
On the way back to camp another Lapped face, and this time a decent picture
We took a break at camp and grabbed some ice cream for the boys as we head out again. And guess who was sleeping near the shop

We took the H1-4 north and turned right onto the S90, the sun came out for the first time in 3 days and the boys enjoyed their ice cream

We took the S41 and decided to try the S100 one last time in search for the famous golden cats but to no avail, we did get to see a real cute ellie
I love the way the youngsters learn to use their trunk, but this one did not do to badly at all
All of a sudden his mom trumpeted and the whole group formed a wall around this youngster. I respect these animals to much so we left thinking it might have been us but in hind sight a predator might have been lurking near by.

Any event the usual locals on the S100

An we finally were able to get some pictures of the sun setting

And so went to camp for the final time on our trip knowing we had a wonderful time and enjoying a steak braai discussing what we should on our way out.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:38 pm 

Thanks guys, it was really special to have had two Cheetah sightings and the ellie was one of my favourites of the trip.

24 September - Time to say goodbye
So while packing up we were discussing the great trip we had. We were very fortunate with some incredible sights. We felt that the two things we missed out on was the very elusive wild dog and a real nice lion sight. Don't get me wrong we had nice lion sights but not one right next to the road and we normally have at least one those on a trip. So we decided that we will drive down to Kruger gate to maximise time in the park and increase our chances for one of the sights.

When we were ready to leave we re-considered and decided that the day will become to long for the boys so we went with the H7 towards Orpen

At Nsemani dam a nice saddle billed stork and some bobs

And a little bit further on another lapped face, the fourth of the trip and definitely a record for us.

Then there were a small traffic jam, it was still quite early so anything could have awaited us. "please be our lions" I told SO when she asked what I think it is.
Guess what??

There were six cubs taking turns feeding, right next to the road. Mom then appeared about thirty metres in and called everyone

But this guy was still hungry
And then dashed off

They all lied down and just like that disappeared. Unbelievable to know that there is six cubs and at least two lionesses 30m away and you can't see them. What an incredible lion sight. :dance: :dance:

On the mandatory S106 another Martial eagle

And then a perfect little fellow to end off the trip.

What a perfect final day and so glad we decided to take the short way home.

Going over Abel Erasmus pass I just took in the beauty and coming to grips that it is almost over.
Heading through Middelburg toll plaza the reality that our Cheetah hunt is over sinks in.

The last 140km home the planning started, and Operation Wild dog was born. On 1 October we phoned central reservations and was able to get Lower Sabie for the first time and booked all 4 nights there.

I missed Kruger so much while doing this TR and with September so far away we booked a short stay at Talamati in March as well as I now know what magic lies in the bushveld camps.

:thanx: for joining me on this trip, it is really appreciated and hope to do one soon again.
Kruger greetings and may you all have fantastic times in your up and coming trips to paradise.
:great:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]